James duff 5.5 questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

James duff 5.5 questions.

4x4explorer1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
So im installing the James duff 5.5 inch lift and i have a question about the tranny cross member. Does it just bolt on where the old one goes and then slides into the mounts. but it seems too long???? Also because you have to drill through the frame for one of the mounts (driver) did you just try to move around the gas lines?:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just moved the gas lines--

too long? width wise?

width wise. When i loosen the brackets it fits but its a tight squeeze and i have to jack it up just to align it to the other holes.Also it jacks up the whole transmission is that normal ???

I would say it being off up to about 3/8" width-wise is within reason. The frames do vary a bit from vehicle to vehicle, but also have some give to them.
Loosen the bolts, jam it in there and tighten everything down. Should be fine.

If it's much more than that, then I would have to wonder if the vehicle was ever in an accident.

width wise. When i loosen the brackets it fits but its a tight squeeze and i have to jack it up just to align it to the other holes.Also it jacks up the whole transmission is that normal ???

I just put on the long arm kit and had the same tranny cross member fit so I would say it's pretty normal for Duff stuff

same way on my 91'.. i thought the crossmember looked long and it fit tight but everything works great

Thanks Suicide77 helps alot me and my buddy are doing my lift. Only pain in the arce is the rivets that you have to grind off do any of you know a easier way how to take them off only have about 4 to but its still a pain. Thinking about paying a friend to cut them off for me :D

I found that a grinder with a really good disc worked wonders! I think after getting the extra grit disc I could knock out a rivet in about 60 seconds. At first I would try to cut them off, but once you get a good disc it is easier to just grind the whole head off than to mess around with being precise. Good luck man! Do you have pictures and a thread?

No:( i didnt think about it at the time but i will post some before and after pics. Also what kind of drill did you use i cant fit mine through the side.

Millwalkee right angle drill. I think I posted a picture in the thead of it. Really handy and wasn't too expensive.

x2 on just grinding those rivet heads off, then I used an air hammer to pound mine through.

For a drill, I used a right angle air drill... a cheapie from harbor freight. Cheap if you already have a compressor anyway. :rolleyes:

Hey guys sorry for the no updates but i finally got everything installed and it does sit a little stinkbug do you know any way to lift the front more i heard about f-150 coil seats but where do you get them. also the ride is much nicer than stock. Overall happy with it getting my tires soon.:)

Here gang go to James Duff facebook page and check out the new Explorer plate bumpers!

really late to the party :)

I had with issues with the duff tranny cross member also, about a 1/2 inch. I just made spacers using 1/4 inch plate (one on each side) behind the radius arm brackets. Fits perfect and is still a little tight getting the cross member back in each time I replace my transmission. Love the lift, ride is awesome!

Ya like it too but i have a clunking noise front right drivers side feel like the radius arm is not backed out all the way. ?????? any ideas looking to replace some bushings may be my axle pivot bushings. axle may be shifting got to find it somehow

My crossmember is too long too. Maybe 3/8 to 1/2" too wide. Might have to use washers in behind the radius arm brackets to act as spacers so that it will fit

I had that clunking noise before. It ended up being the u joints in the front axle, they were freezing up and then popping loose.

I replaced every bushing, bolt, and tie rod before I found it, too.

I got my crossmember in. Didn't make spacers, Loosened off the drivers side radius arm bracket, lined it up with the crossmember, lifted both together and used a ratchet strap on the front diff to get the holes to line up again. Stuck the bolts through, torqued everything down and it expanded back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back