Tailgate / Liftgate Alignment | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate / Liftgate Alignment

My '11 had the same issue. If you check inside the hatch, you will find 2 of the rubber bump stops on either sides towards the bottom (when closed) or top (when opened). On mine, one of them had flatten itself on the side that was misaligned. I think the auto close function pulled in too tight, or was misaligned to begin with. Took it to the dealer and they got it aligned and replaced those black rubber pieces. I hope it holds up.

I checked mine when it was delivered and it was off. They also had to adjust a tail light to get it to look right. I found the problem after the dealer inspection, so trust them to find any problems. It was fixed by the dealer a few days later.

Hi ichabodsteel and kirksjeep,

I'm glad that your dealers were able to help you out! Give me a shout if you need any assistance in the future; I'll be happy to step in and see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Offset Liftgate

I have pictures but for some reason the link doesn't work...I was hoping to visually show everyone that my liftgate is not centered. It is offset to the right and it is leaving quite a big gap on the left side (driver side).

I've had my 2013 Limited for short while now and never noticed this until the other day when I was affixing the aftermarket rear bumper protector and found it weird that when the liftgate was completely closed, the protector didn't look like it was uniform. Upon closer inspection, I found out the liftgate was offset.

The gap on the left side Is about 1/2 inch and you can almost see inside the trunk. I'm wondering if something like this would be a factory defect and the liftgate could be replaced under warranty?

Any suggestions would be great. I'm most likely going to go to a dealer to see what they can do but thought I'd ask first.

Cheers

I have pictures but for some reason the link doesn't work...I was hoping to visually show everyone that my liftgate is not centered. It is offset to the right and it is leaving quite a big gap on the left side (driver side).

I've had my 2013 Limited for short while now and never noticed this until the other day when I was affixing the aftermarket rear bumper protector and found it weird that when the liftgate was completely closed, the protector didn't look like it was uniform. Upon closer inspection, I found out the liftgate was offset.

The gap on the left side Is about 1/2 inch and you can almost see inside the trunk. I'm wondering if something like this would be a factory defect and the liftgate could be replaced under warranty?

Any suggestions would be great. I'm most likely going to go to a dealer to see what they can do but thought I'd ask first.

Cheers

They won't replace it....it just needs aligning....take it to your dealer for them to fix during your next scheduled service.....

They won't replace it....it just needs aligning....take it to your dealer for them to fix during your next scheduled service.....

Took it to the dealer today to have them take a look. I have an appointment booked for this Friday and they are going to try and adjust the hinges. Crossing fingers that it will do the trick...

Forgot to ask if that is under warranty though...it should be right?

The tailgate on the Gray Ghost was tweaked as you describe. We took it in and they adjusted it. Looks fine now.

Cheers
As per my PM, I have moved your thread to this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

Mine is also off, In fact I wondered if the The EX had been in a Collision at some point. But I have looked at every explore I have the chance to and they are off the same amount.

Kinda sad as this is easily picked up from about 15ft away....not easy to miss.

The tailgate on the Gray Ghost was tweaked as you describe. We took it in and they adjusted it. Looks fine now.

Hi Vince,

Do you know exactly how it was realigned? Any info would be great as I am concerned that the dealer will screw this one up and make it worse...

Cheers
X

Hey xxboarderxx,

I am not exactly sure what they did to fix the tailgate (I didn't think to ask seeing as it was fixed to my satisfaction), but I assumed it was just a matter of loosening the bolts that hold the hinges to the car and making the adjustment and then tightening it all back up.

I too was concerned that the fix was going to be worse than the problem, but they did a nice job. No damage was done to the car and it is aligned just about as well as I think is possible. If the misalignment bothers, I would say go ahead and have it fixed. We haven't had any issues with the tailgate since then, so I say the repair was a success :)

Hey xxboarderxx,

I am not exactly sure what they did to fix the tailgate (I didn't think to ask seeing as it was fixed to my satisfaction), but I assumed it was just a matter of loosening the bolts that hold the hinges to the car and making the adjustment and then tightening it all back up.

I too was concerned that the fix was going to be worse than the problem, but they did a nice job. No damage was done to the car and it is aligned just about as well as I think is possible. If the misalignment bothers, I would say go ahead and have it fixed. We haven't had any issues with the tailgate since then, so I say the repair was a success :)

Hey Vince,

Thanks for the info. Visually, now that I know it is there, it is bothersome everytime I look at the car. It is augmented by the fact that the bumper protector looks misaligned. As for the damage on the car, the gap is so big that I'm not entirely sure there is a proper seal when the liftgate is closed. Over time, the rubber trim will shrink with the weather and there definitely won't be a good seal. That's my main concern.

I guess I'll just have to trust the dealer and hope that it goes well.

Cheers
X

X, it's funny that you mentioned how noticeable the offset was after putting on the bumper protector. That is exactly what happened to us when I went to install it. It looked so bad that I never put the protector on the car.

X, it's funny that you mentioned how noticeable the offset was after putting on the bumper protector. That is exactly what happened to us when I went to install it. It looked so bad that I never put the protector on the car.

Do you have the protector on now that you have had the liftgate realigned?

Nope. I think I might have thrown it away while cleaning out the house getting ready for our move, lol.

xxxboarderxxx I am curious as to whether your issue was ever fixed, as i put on the same bumper protector this evening and the mis-alignment was staring back at me.

Nope, I never got it fixed. I took it to the dealer and they said the only place that could do it would be the body shop. They also showed me how the frame of the body was misaligned straight from the factory and the rear window was also put on out of alignment.

Dealer said it was no problem to book an appointment with the body shop to have it done no charge but they cautioned that it might come out worse since the entire car is out of whack instead of just the rear end.

I decided not to do anything to it in the end. It is still annoying but I seem to be the only person that notices it.

Usually if the frame is misaligned it will lead to other issues such as tire wear. It could also affect the general safety of the vehicle in an accident. If it were mine, I'd want it replaced.

Peter

My Liftgate is misaligned as others have mentioned it looks awful just noticed it when I washed the car at the car wash. The left side has a 1/2 to 3/4" gap and sticks out so its not flush with the tail light. The right side is almost rubbing and is in past the taillight. It is so obvious. I'm thinking that it must have shifted as I would have noticed this in the past for sure. I can't believe how awful it looks and I can't believe Ford's fit and finish on this $50K vehicle. It looks like the car was in an accident and not fixed properly. Now my Explorer Sport is about one and a half years old and has about 33,000Km on it. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer to get it aligned. Would this be covered under warranty? Also reading some of the horror stories about dealers messing it up, I'm worried about letting the dealer attempt to touch it.

I was hit from behind a few months back and the auto body shop I went to fixed mine perfectly. It shakes a bit now when I open it but when closes the alignment is perfect. So it can be fixed, just need to be hit from behind to get it right ;)

Shodan, there are posts here where the realignments have improved the liftgate issue and it should be covered under warranty. The one side must be really bad it if it in past the headlight.;)
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter, when I said past the(Headlight- should have been taillight) I meant inwards (longitudinally) not rightward (laterally). In other words, when looking at the profile of the vehicle from the back, the liftgate sicks out further than the taillight edge on the left side, but on the right side the liftgate is either flush or actually further in than the taillight edge.

Back