Oil Found In Air Filter | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Found In Air Filter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BruceF, as blwnsmoke mentioned, using the forum's 'Search' function should have brought up this thread that I now have merged yours with.

Peter

2011 Explorer Oil in Intake Duct?

I went to replace my air filter and found oil in my intake duct by the air filter. Is this normal? I took to local Ford dealer where I purchased my explorer & was told not to worry about it????
I have owned a lot of vehicles and have never had oil in my intake ducting? Is this normal?
Thx for any help.

Its blowby from the crankcase PCV. They have a TSB on it and a revised front valve cover for the issue.

I do not believe there is an actual TSB for this.. however, if the dealer calls the Ford hotline, they will instruct them to change it.

My 2012 Explorer is out of warranty. It has the oil migration problem with the 3.5L V6. Does anybody have the part number for the redesigned valve cover. I have been cleaning oil out of the air filter housing and air intake tube at every oil change.

Thanks!

My 2012 Explorer is out of warranty. It has the oil migration problem with the 3.5L V6. Does anybody have the part number for the redesigned valve cover. I have been cleaning oil out of the air filter housing and air intake tube at every oil change.

Thanks!

Hi danman5000,

I'd recommend checking out the Ford Parts site: http://www.fordparts.com/ Once you enter your VIN, you can find all the appropriate parts (and part numbers) for your Explorer. Additionally, you can chat live with our parts pros by clicking the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page.

Crystal

R chamb

The tubo engine has the smoking problem. They changed the left valve cover. Mine is non turbo it has oil in the air box pcv seems ok the baffle in the valve cover seems to be the culprit.does anyone know if there is an improved valve cover design or if that ford rep. Is available to give us an answer. I think with 22 TSB s, we should get the procedural repairs for free instead of the dealer telling me to bring it in and charging me. Thanx. And special thank to the guy that listed some of the TSB s. You have to know someone, work for ford, or pay for this stuff. 95,04,12 explorer owner. 95 was the best one yet.

The tubo engine has the smoking problem. They changed the left valve cover. Mine is non turbo it has oil in the air box pcv seems ok the baffle in the valve cover seems to be the culprit.does anyone know if there is an improved valve cover design or if that ford rep. Is available to give us an answer. I think with 22 TSB s, we should get the procedural repairs for free instead of the dealer telling me to bring it in and charging me. Thanx. And special thank to the guy that listed some of the TSB s. You have to know someone, work for ford, or pay for this stuff. 95,04,12 explorer owner. 95 was the best one yet.
I assume you are not referring to your 2004 Explorer that shows in the margin?
The FordService rep would not have an answer for you. They do not deal with the engineers or the dealers. Also, I don't believe any 5th gen Sport owners with the turbos have reported smoke issues.
Posts 27 and 35 explain that the resolution is to have a redesigned valve cover installed.

Peter

Issue resolved! The problem stemmed from the design of the 2011-2012 valve cover vent tube that connects directly to the air intake tube. This was the first occurrence our dealership has encountered and as such they contacted the Ford Hotline for guidance. Ford advised: replacing the valve cover to incorporate the latest design of the vent tube which now has an internal baffle to prevent oil from migrating all the way up to the air intake tube and to the throttle body. Valve cover was replaced and we'll monitor it regularly from now on.

just curious what the redesign valve cover looks like. i just found little oil on the air intake tube.

2012 Explorer. Just discovered oil in the intake and on the air filter. I cleaned the intake tube and ordered some air filters online. A week later, I finally got the new filters delivered and installed one... more oil had already accumulated in that time. From what I have read, there is a TSB on this.... maybe?

Ford TSB #ASI-32211

NHTSA Reference #10053358

2012 Explorer. Just discovered oil in the intake and on the air filter. I cleaned the intake tube and ordered some air filters online. A week later, I finally got the new filters delivered and installed one... more oil had already accumulated in that time. From what I have read, there is a TSB on this.... maybe?

Ford TSB #ASI-32211

NHTSA Reference #10053358

can anyone confirm the TSB on the redesign valve cover
my next service is coming and would like to discuss this issue to the service advisor. thanks

Found this online;

TSB Number: ASI-32211 NHTSA Number: 10053358 TSB Date: May 1, 2013 Date Added to File: October 22, 2013

Failing Component:
Engine And Engine Cooling:Exhaust System:Emission Control:Crankcase (Pcv)

Summary:
Ford: on some vehicles, the intake air system components may have engine oil accumulation, in left hand valve cover baffle migrating through fresh air intake of positive crankcase ventilation (pcv) system. Models 2011-2013 edge, explorer.

Peter

thanks, Peter

regards

can anyone confirm the TSB on the redesign valve cover
my next service is coming and would like to discuss this issue to the service advisor. thanks

I can now confirm this. My wife just had her valve cover replaced.

I had discovered oil in the intake. Took vehicle in and they replaced the PCV valve. A few weeks later I found oil again. We took the explorer back in to service and told the rep about the TSB. They pursued that course of action and had to order the valve cover which was on back order. It came a few weeks later. They replaced it 2 days ago. The alarming thing is I checked it out today and saw oil in the air intake again... I'm hoping it was either residual oil left in the system or the tech didn't clean out the intake. I wiped it clean and I'll check it out in a few more days.

I can now confirm this. My wife just had her valve cover replaced.

I had discovered oil in the intake. Took vehicle in and they replaced the PCV valve. A few weeks later I found oil again. We took the explorer back in to service and told the rep about the TSB. They pursued that course of action and had to order the valve cover which was on back order. It came a few weeks later. They replaced it 2 days ago. The alarming thing is I checked it out today and saw oil in the air intake again... I'm hoping it was either residual oil left in the system or the tech didn't clean out the intake. I wiped it clean and I'll check it out in a few more days.

Any update?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 Explorer Engine Oil in Air Intake/Filter

Not sure if this information is in another post.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3400443#post3400443

I just got back my 2011 Explorer from the dealer. I discovered engine oil in the air intake/air filter assembly during my routine maintenance checks. I took to the dealer since it was under warranty (50K miles on it) and the service manager told me he had not seeing this issue before - I trust this guy whom I have dealt for the last ten years. I left the the truck for their diagnostic and he called me the next day.

This issue is outlined in Special Service Message 44354. "2011-2013 Edge, Explorer, MKX, Taurus, MKT and FLEX - 3.5L/3.7L (Ti-VCT) - Oil in the Air Intake. Some 2011-2013 with 3.5l or 3.&L variable cam timing engine built on or before 3/31/2012 may exhibit engine oil in the air systems may be caused by an accumulation of oil in the left hand valve coverbaffle migrating through the fresh air intake carnkcase ventilation (PCV) system. Oil on the ir flter or oil at the electrocnic throttle body may also be observed. Valve cover BR#Z-6582-M has been released to resolve this concern. Residual oil in the intake air system damage and can be removed using a clean rag. Use available service labor times for left hand valve cover repairs. EFFECTIVE DATE: 13-JAN-2014".

All the work/parts on my truck were covered under warranty.

Back