Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

0102151641a_zps3483eac7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you use the stock tire size with the new wheels?

Did you use the stock tire size with the new wheels?

Nope....I had Discount Tire fill them up as much as possible with tire. Hint...60's don't work with 20" rim.

What size are the tires and are they the tallest that will fit. I know you adressed tire hight however Discount Tire has a very strict corporate policy regarding the installation of tires that differ from the vehicle manufacturers specifications. Discount tire will only increase or decrease the overall tire hight and or tire width by a predetermined percentage up or down. My coworker worked for Discount Tire all through college and informed me of this policy when I changed the wheel and tire size on my mustang. Policy's may have changed since then. Did the tire tech test fit other tire sizes on your vehicle or did they just look on the computer and tell you what size will fit?

Did you measure ground clearance from the lowest point pre and post lift and pre and post wheel and tire swap? How much total ground clearance did you gain?

I'm aware the sport starts life lower than the other trim levels did that impact your total hight gains?

Was there a major impact on ride quality, handling, fuel milage etc.?

What size are the tires and are they the tallest that will fit. I know you adressed tire hight however Discount Tire has a very strict corporate policy regarding the installation of tires that differ from the vehicle manufacturers specifications. Discount tire will only increase or decrease the overall tire hight and or tire width by a predetermined percentage up or down. My coworker worked for Discount Tire all through college and informed me of this policy when I changed the wheel and tire size on my mustang. Policy's may have changed since then. Did the tire tech test fit other tire sizes on your vehicle or did they just look on the computer and tell you what size will fit?

Did you measure ground clearance from the lowest point pre and post lift and pre and post wheel and tire swap? How much total ground clearance did you gain?

I'm aware the sport starts life lower than the other trim levels did that impact your total hight gains?

Was there a major impact on ride quality, handling, fuel milage etc.?

Adam, if you message me then I will reply with the tire size that I used.

Discount Tire tried various tire combinations on my Enkei 20" rims before we found the maximum size that does NOT rub.

I gained 2 1/2 inches of ground clearance after the installations.

YES, the ride is tighter, more responsive and sits higher. I highly recommend every 5th Gen Sport owner install the kit and tires. I haven't' noticed a difference in mpg or performance. I don't have a stock tune on my vehicle so mpg gains/ losses would only be a guesstimate at this point. My ride only has 1k miles on it.

:usa:

The front and rear wheel-wells have plastic protruding which prevent larger tires.

On the rear wheel well...the front edge has plastic protruding.

On the front wheel well...the rear edge has plastic protruding.

[MENTION=274410]OKExplorerSport[/MENTION]

Do you have any photos of the lift kit installation procedure?

I still have a standing offer for anyone who does. The offer is a one year Elite Explorer membership for photos so we can have a "how to" thread in this forum.

I have a suspicion, maybe unfounded, that these are dropped off at a shop for installation.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

I had Integrity Customs of Tulsa Oklahoma install my lift.]

Thanks!

I'm going to setup a thread with the video in it and that will work just great.

I set you up with the Elite Explorer membership:chug:

Good work and thank you OKExplorerSport. Welcome to the Elite membership group.:thumbsup:

Peter

That´s very cool. I will have my kit installed tuesday next week. Problem is: they did not provide the alignment data or I lost them in the mean time. Does anyone of you who owns the kit can provide them to me?

That´s very cool. I will have my kit installed tuesday next week. Problem is: they did not provide the alignment data or I lost them in the mean time. Does anyone of you who owns the kit can provide them to me?

The kit comes with the alignment data. I wish I had the data to send to you but it was tossed after the install. 8(

No problem, I got the data meanwhile.

Kit is installed and it looks pretty nice.

here is before and after (after is with 18" rims, so there´s a little optical difference):

Exp03.jpg

after:

PICT0007.JPG

Klaus,

Looking good thank you for the photos.

After the install how is everything holding up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no technical problems so far.
Some remarks:
1. slightly reduced gas milage, about 10-15% less (at higher speeds).
2. worse driving quality at high speeds (100 mph and up)
3. running boards are a good way to get smaller passengers in and out ;)

Back