• Register Today It's free!

Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/LME%2dAIW-2013%2b-Ford-Explorer-Tuner.html

I've been reading about the tunes the Sport Ex have had and since I have the N/A been jealous for a while.

Now that (maybe for a while now) Livernois offers a tune for the NA Explorers I am interested in if anyone here tuned theirs and what gains have been seen.

I do want the "get up and go" also and better gas mileage and some more pep in the step. Will this help, not expecting sport gains, just something a little better than what I have now. Lastly is it easy for a non automotive person to install?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^^That is for the Ecoboost motors. He is talking about the NA motors.

Guessing the regular non Sport users didn't see any benefit to having a tune?

I've been looking at the SCT and Livernois tunes for a while now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've had previous tuners on my full size trucks and there was an obvious difference in performance, especially when towing. I am leaning towards the SCT as it may be compatible with other vehicles, should I upgrade my current Ex or decide to utilize the tuner for another application. I wish there were more reviews out there, regarding tunes on the N/A 3.5L.

^^^^That is for the Ecoboost motors. He is talking about the NA motors.

actually, that link is for the 3.5 TiVCT engine, not the EcoBoost. We tune quite of few of these as well :)

What kinda stats do you have for the 3.5 NA Explorer with 4WD/AWD with tune only?

I'd be interested also in the NA tune also. Id be interested in better gas mileage and more power or anything else you can do?

What kinda stats do you have for the 3.5 NA Explorer with 4WD/AWD with tune only?

The 3.5L TiVCT Explorer's peak gains are over 33 wheel HP and 42 wheel TQ on 93 octane. At some points in the RPM range more. Even on 87 octane the vehicle makes a night and day difference in overall drivability and a much more enjoyable driving experience.

The n/a Explorer with a performance tune gets close to a stock Explorer Sport's HP. Our tuning gives you the best of both worlds which is what makes customers fall in love with their vehicles all over again.

When you drive casual it will drive as tame as it would stock, yet have better fuel economy and a much more confident feeling engine / transmission. Then when you prefer to drive aggressive, it will throw you back in the seat and have a much more precise positive shift from one gear to the next.

Check out the video below to see the vehicle in action and also the official dyno results as well.

3.5L TiVCT Dyno.jpg

What about 3.7 PIU's?

Now that Police Interceptor Utility Explorers have been out for a while and are being decommissioned and making their way into our hands, have you done many (any?) Tunes for the 3.7 N/A Engine - Pursuit Tuned Trans?

Is the Pursuit Package already optimally tuned from the factory?

Would a performance Tune have negative effects due to the differences between the police and commercial vehicles?

[MENTION=234035]Livernois[/MENTION]
What MPG difference are you seeing with a tune on the NA 3.5?

[MENTION=234035]Livernois[/MENTION]
What MPG difference are you seeing with a tune on the NA 3.5?

We do not sell our tuning as an MPG booster, but most clients report a 2-3MPG boost post tuning.

You skipped right past my question ...

So I'm guessing the answer is:
No, you haven't done any tuning/testing on the Police Interceptor Utility with 3.7L N/A engine and Pursuit Tuned Transmission.

We do not sell our tuning as an MPG booster, but most clients report a 2-3MPG boost post tuning.

Thanks, but helps to justify the purchase to the ... ahem wifey as a ROI :thumbsup: in addition to the HP!

2-3 mpg increase is a 10% -15% increase in gas mileage on a vehicle that gets almost 20 mpg avg from the factory.

That is a HIGHLY unlikely increase in fuel economy ... there is NO WAY Ford would leave that much room for improvement on the table, not with today's competitive performance/mileage vehicles.

At most I would expect you would be able to realize a 2.5% - 5% improvement in fuel mileage, or approximately .5 - 1 MPG.

2-3 mpg increase is a 10% -15% increase in gas mileage on a vehicle that gets almost 20 mpg avg from the factory.

That is a HIGHLY unlikely increase in fuel economy ... there is NO WAY Ford would leave that much room for improvement on the table, not with today's competitive performance/mileage vehicles.

At most I would expect you would be able to realize a 2.5% - 5% improvement in fuel mileage, or approximately .5 - 1 MPG.

That actually not true. My car hovered around 21.2-21.4 MPG stock. After I loaded our 93 Performance tune I get 26.1-26.2 MPG. So, like I said we do not market it as an economy booster. But the byproduct or a more efficient tune is...efficiency. We are not simply cranking up the boost to create more power, we are making the tables inside of the calibration work more synchronously with each other.

You skipped right past my question ...

So I'm guessing the answer is:
No, you haven't done any tuning/testing on the Police Interceptor Utility with 3.7L N/A engine and Pursuit Tuned Transmission.

Sorry I did not see your question.

No we have not had any NA PI vehicles in. Almost all of the PI's that we have here in Michigan are not NA, but 3.5L EB.

That actually not true. My car hovered around 21.2-21.4 MPG stock. After I loaded our 93 Performance tune I get 26.1-26.2 MPG. So, like I said we do not market it as an economy booster. But the byproduct or a more efficient tune is...efficiency. We are not simply cranking up the boost to create more power, we are making the tables inside of the calibration work more synchronously with each other.

Using your vehicle as an example is misleading. I am assuming your vehicle has a 3.5L EcoBoost Turbo since your tuning service is mostly for that engine. It is much easier to realize the economy/performance gains you are claiming with a turbo engine as these come from the factory in a low boost, less than optimized calibration to increase reliability and longevity, reduce NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) lower operating temperatures, and to remain well within EPA emissions requirements. Tuners have been able to achieve large power/economy gains from turbo engines by taking advantage of the 'reliability cushion' of the manufacturers build by re-tuning the engine/trans to increase boost and keep the engine in high boost longer to increase the efficiency at the cost of more NVH, higher operating temps, and increased component wear/fatigue.

cwescapexlt4x4 was asking what kinds of gains could be realized in a N/A 3.5L engine. These engines at the factory are built much closer to the optimum tune, and while there is still some room for gains to be achieved, it is not nearly as much as for a turbo. Realistically, for a N/A engine one should expect to see about a 5% increase.

Thank you for answering my question about the PIU 3.7L N/A.

Realistically, for a N/A engine one should expect to see about a 5% increase.

We actually do FAR more tuning on NA platforms than we do 3.5L EB engines. You do realize that you are arguing a point that we make a point to not market?

There are a myriad of variables that will affect the efficiency of a vehicle post tuning. That is why we do not promote MPG gains.

Thank you for answering my question about the PIU 3.7L N/A Pursuit

You are welcome.

From what I am seeing, do you only do 13+ N/A 3.5's, or does the tune work on 2011's as well? Reason why I am asking is because I am looking to tune mine for better performance but was unsure of the compatibility.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I am seeing, do you only do 13+ N/A 3.5's, or does the tune work on 2011's as well? Reason why I am asking is because I am looking to tune mine for better performance but was unsure of the compatibility.

All that you have to do is ensure that your truck is in fact a TiVCT, and we can tune it!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back