• Register Today It's free!

Spare tire 18" vs 20"

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, QC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT V6 4WD
Hi All,

I have a 2014 EX XLT with the 18" wheels.

I am planning to switch to aftermarket 20" wheels in the spring but I was wondering if I was going to be able to fit a 20" spare in the location of the current 18" spare ?

In other words : Is the spare tire location the same size on XLT and LTD ?

Thanks for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All Explorers come with the same size 18" spare, you don't need a 20" spare if you have 20" on the vehicle. It's the overall diameter of the wheel/tire assembly that matters. The 18" tire has a taller sidewall (aspect ratio) than the 20" tire which makes the overall diameter the same.

Thanks a lot Riley. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have to change the spare as well :)

Thanks for the input.

Hi All,

I have a 2014 EX XLT with the 18" wheels.

I am planning to switch to aftermarket 20" wheels in the spring but I was wondering if I was going to be able to fit a 20" spare in the location of the current 18" spare ?

In other words : Is the spare tire location the same size on XLT and LTD ?

Thanks for your input.
Hi Jim. I'm guessing that you're keeping the 18" for your Winter tires. When I got my 2011 Limited, I wished that 17" were an option because I would have got those. I used 17" in place of the 20" for Winter and found that they provided a slightly better ride and I didn't have to worry as much about curb damage. Good info on the spare from Riley. :thumbsup:
Happy New Year!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Happy New Year to you too. Quite a start with the polar cold :)

I do plan on keeping my 18" wheels for my winter tires, that will allow me to do my spring / fall rotations myself.

I just need to order some new TPMS online for when I get my 20" in the spring and I will be all set.

I am planning on getting the Enkei SVX black that look a lot like the Sport model wheels. See link below. I don't want to go too "bling bling" but just a nice black accent from the wheel. My EX is silver and I think silver and black go well together.

http://www.enkei.com/svx.shtml

Back