[PHOTO DIARY] First Gen Explorer Water Pump Removal in 10 Steps. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[PHOTO DIARY] First Gen Explorer Water Pump Removal in 10 Steps.

Thanks

Worked well for me . I did remove something else to get to the bolts on the pump and it was worth it. sorry I forgot what it was .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have the pictures of the first/fifteenth post and is able to reupload them? It would be nice to have as a guideline :)

youre on drugs Mike!

i wish u had posted this a year ago when i needed it. somehow i got it right though. good right up, instead of using the special too though i used one of those oil filter wrenchs to hold the pulley, the kind with the bicyle chain and some channel lock pliers to grab the Nut holding the fan clutch.

and the last screw you show removing was a ***** to remove. for me atleast. BTW this should be Sticky IMO

Does anyone have the pictures of the first/fifteenth post and is able to reupload them? It would be nice to have as a guideline :)

They're all up and good to view again!

Mine does the same thing. Got to replace the pump on mine this weekend and would like to know what causes it to boil back into the overflow when the guage says its not overheating.
my 94 xlt for some reason "boils" when i park after i drive it. it boiled most of the coolant out yesterday and the coolant i put in before i drove again boiled out as well/ dad helped me and said its probably my water pump because you cant see the water having a currant when the rad cap is off? idk but the gauge says its fine even tho its literally boiling out of the coolant catch. and my check oil light started staying on but when my dad and i looked at what was going on with the coolant the light came off. weird to me. btw there is no weeping at the water pump on the bottom side but above the pump there is something that has leaked. need help and low on cash

Im in the middle of doing this, yay! Only issue, so far, is that the petcock was gone so i undid the nut and the radiator started to drain. It didnt drain all the way and when i removed the lower radiator hose and the pump itself there was a shower or neon green flowing everywhere lol isnt the petcock supposed to drain the whole system, did i miss a step, or is it normal?

Im in the middle of doing this, yay! Only issue, so far, is that the petcock was gone so i undid the nut and the radiator started to drain. It didnt drain all the way and when i removed the lower radiator hose and the pump itself there was a shower or neon green flowing everywhere lol isnt the petcock supposed to drain the whole system, did i miss a step, or is it normal?

Just now saw your post. The petcock just drains the radiator. There can easily be fluid left in the system, in the pump & water jackets. More would probably drain out if the rear of the vehicle was lifted up.

anybody know if the first gen is an interference engine?
An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine in which one or more valves in the fully open position extends into any area that the piston may travel into.

I don't know enough about the 1st gen explorer motor to tell if that answers my question. To clarify my question, if my water pump or timing belt fails should i expect to have to do larger repairs than if i replaced them proactively.

anybody know if the first gen is an interference engine?
From what I understand, if the timing chain were to go, the valves would not hit the pistons in the 1st gen Explorer.

I did the job. Sort of. I banged the old water pump into the radiator while removing it and caused a leak. Set out to replace my water pump and fan clutch, which was ultimately sccessful, but didn't need the expense of the radiator on a truck I intend to get rid of in the Fall, since a young lady rearranged the front end of my Explorer last month. Had it fixed just enough to make it roadworthy... barely. Anyhow, the new water pump got rid of the intermittent belt squeal and other noises. I wish I had done this repair 2 or 3 years ago, when the noise started, since I had replaced the belt and tensioner a few times since the noise started. I suspected the alternator, since the noise started shortly after replacing it. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for your great post with the pics!

Back