• Register Today It's free!

DDM HID Slim Kit Issues

Secondlook

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
So I have the 55W Kit in the headlights and 35W in the fogs and I having a couple of issues...

1) When I start the vehicle maybe 1 of 10 times either one headlight or foglight wont fire.. I turn the lights off and back on and it's all taken care of

2) I will be driving and will notice the drivers headlight bulb with a real faint intermittent strobe like effect..

I don't get the strobe issue with the 35W bulbs just the 55W..

Have any of you seen or had this problem.. What did you do to solve?

I have had many DDM kits in my motorcycles and other cars with no issues.

Should I find another manuf. CAN BUS ballast?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Secondlook,

I know this is my first post, but I have been lurking around this site now, since I bought my 14 MY in August of 2013. I find this forum to be invaluable due to the members expertise and the information which is shared.

I am running the 55w 5000k DDM HID's in my headlights.
I am typically heading to and from work, when it is dark out and the lighting performance from the factory halogen bulbs was simply terrible compared to all of my previous vehicles including my 3rd and 4th generation explorers.
Converting my halogen setup to HID was a tough choice being that my vehicle was brand new and I didn't want to mess around with the factory setup. After having a few close calls with animals on the side of the road in the rural areas that I am traveling, I contacted DDM's customer service and they walked me through what kit and accessories I would need. Being paranoid that I would encounter issues, I ordered two complete kits, so that I would have spare parts on hand.
The box arrived from China two weeks later looking like it was used as a soccer ball. I installed the kit and noticed the connectors were a “One size fits All” style and plugging my factory connector into the one supplied had to be reversed for correct polarity.
Overall, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the materials and was skeptical about how they would perform. After plugging everything in, the system fired up and the lights worked fine for a couple of days. (in auto mode) A short while later, the right side bulb started strobing and I thought I had a loose connection. After pulling the kit apart and checking each connection, I still had a strobing effect in the right side housing. I contacted their technical support and they informed me that I may have a defective bulb or ballast and should remove it and mail it back to them (at my cost) If they part was found to be defective, they would send me a new one and reimburse my shipping costs. Frustrated by this, I went back outside in the cold (NE Winter) and pulled the right side apart again and replaced the ballast. The lights fired right up and the strobing effect was gone. At this time, as an additional precaution I also used heat shrink wrap over each connection to keep secure and eliminate moisture from getting in. Being paranoid, I only use the manual setting on my headlights now. The kit has been installed now for exactly 12 months without any issues.
That being said, I will continue to utilize the spare parts I purchased until they are gone. At that point, I will probably spend the money/time on converting the projector housings and high quality ballasts and bulbs as many other owners have successfully done. In my opinion, I see the DDM kit as a cheap, short term solution to increase the light output in the factory housings. To date, I am more than satisfied with the color and light output of the DDM kit but you get what you pay for as to the quality of the ballasts, wiring and bulbs. I have decent cut off lines, not as sharp as my wife’s vehicle with factory HID’s and I do not get flashed by other oncoming motorists. There are many other threads on this forum that speak to using HID’s in reflector housings (such as your fog lights) that produce an enormous amount of glare as there isn't a projected beam to keep the light controlled so that it doesn't blind oncoming motorists. These Fog lights were designed to light up the ground directly in front of your vehicle, not project further as your headlights do.

Sorry for the long winded post, I figured I should provide a bit of background info as to my experience with DDM HID’s
First - Check your connections
Second - Swap out the ballast
Third - Swap out the bulb
Manually turn your headlights on instead of using the Auto feature. Good Luck.

Welcome to the Forum BlueLine14.:wavey:
Happy New Year and Happy Motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Secondlook,

I know this is my first post, but I have been lurking around this site now, since I bought my 14 MY in August of 2013. I find this forum to be invaluable due to the members expertise and the information which is shared.

I am running the 55w 5000k DDM HID's in my headlights.
I am typically heading to and from work, when it is dark out and the lighting performance from the factory halogen bulbs was simply terrible compared to all of my previous vehicles including my 3rd and 4th generation explorers.
Converting my halogen setup to HID was a tough choice being that my vehicle was brand new and I didn't want to mess around with the factory setup. After having a few close calls with animals on the side of the road in the rural areas that I am traveling, I contacted DDM's customer service and they walked me through what kit and accessories I would need. Being paranoid that I would encounter issues, I ordered two complete kits, so that I would have spare parts on hand.
The box arrived from China two weeks later looking like it was used as a soccer ball. I installed the kit and noticed the connectors were a “One size fits All” style and plugging my factory connector into the one supplied had to be reversed for correct polarity.
Overall, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the materials and was skeptical about how they would perform. After plugging everything in, the system fired up and the lights worked fine for a couple of days. (in auto mode) A short while later, the right side bulb started strobing and I thought I had a loose connection. After pulling the kit apart and checking each connection, I still had a strobing effect in the right side housing. I contacted their technical support and they informed me that I may have a defective bulb or ballast and should remove it and mail it back to them (at my cost) If they part was found to be defective, they would send me a new one and reimburse my shipping costs. Frustrated by this, I went back outside in the cold (NE Winter) and pulled the right side apart again and replaced the ballast. The lights fired right up and the strobing effect was gone. At this time, as an additional precaution I also used heat shrink wrap over each connection to keep secure and eliminate moisture from getting in. Being paranoid, I only use the manual setting on my headlights now. The kit has been installed now for exactly 12 months without any issues.
That being said, I will continue to utilize the spare parts I purchased until they are gone. At that point, I will probably spend the money/time on converting the projector housings and high quality ballasts and bulbs as many other owners have successfully done. In my opinion, I see the DDM kit as a cheap, short term solution to increase the light output in the factory housings. To date, I am more than satisfied with the color and light output of the DDM kit but you get what you pay for as to the quality of the ballasts, wiring and bulbs. I have decent cut off lines, not as sharp as my wife’s vehicle with factory HID’s and I do not get flashed by other oncoming motorists. There are many other threads on this forum that speak to using HID’s in reflector housings (such as your fog lights) that produce an enormous amount of glare as there isn't a projected beam to keep the light controlled so that it doesn't blind oncoming motorists. These Fog lights were designed to light up the ground directly in front of your vehicle, not project further as your headlights do.

Sorry for the long winded post, I figured I should provide a bit of background info as to my experience with DDM HID’s
First - Check your connections
Second - Swap out the ballast
Third - Swap out the bulb
Manually turn your headlights on instead of using the Auto feature. Good Luck.

Thank you brotha! So it was kind of weird I was having all the problems with my passenger lamp at first, then I sent in one of the ballasts to be replaced which they did. Then I ordered a replacement sent of bulbs just to reinstall cleanly one more time. Now its my drivers lamp giving me the issues. I have now started using the manual light switch instead of auto.

I am not having any issues with my 35W fog kit from them which is weird.. I am really tempted to order some CAN BUS ballasts as my next fix. I hate having a $50K+ vehicle and everything not operating as it should being brand new.

Are you guys using the relay harness ?

I've used DDM kits with the relay harness in a couple of mustangs, a F150 and the Ex. I have had occasional issues with one light not staying on during start up with the auto lamp feature turned on, but no strobing. This is with 35w bulbs not the 55w's...

Welcome to the Forum JerryC. :wavey:

Peter

I purchased the relay harness just incase, but first installed the kit directly using the factory headlight connection as the primary power source. It’s been well over a year now and they both fire up every time I flip the switch. For the record, I do not use the Auto mode on my headlight switch.
I have a friend who installed a set of HID's in his GM truck and was having issues with only one light firing with his trucks headlight switch in Auto mode. His trucks switch has to be manually held in the off position as it is spring loaded to default to the Auto selection. When he would have only one bulb lit, he would manually turn the lights off and back on again and they would both fire right up. My first thought was that his kit wasn't getting adequate power during start up, so I helped him install the relay harness I originally purchased that has an inline fuse, relay and connects directly to Aux. Pos. power post. Now the kit works flawlessly in the Auto mode.
I guess I see the harness as a way to troubleshoot or rectify poor operation. As I said in a previous post, the aftermarket kits seem to be a “One Size Fits All” and IMO, most issues probably occur at the factory headlight plug as it’s not a direct match and proper contact isn't being achieved in some cases.

IMHO, the issue is if the lights try to fire off at the same time the engine is cranking, even with the harness it will occasionally fail to start one bulb or the other other. It always seems to be in colder weather as well, which would reduce battery voltage slightly. If you watch you can actually see them come on and go off with the cranking of the engine.

On the Ex, I can remote start it and that doesn't engage the headlights so all is good with that, but if I just jump in and crank it then there's a chance one of them wont light up. Turning them off and back on manually fixes it.

Exactly.. I was also concerned about the loss of power being delivered during start up, flickering etc.. I typically start my car and let it warm up for a few minutes. Only when I get in to drive away, do I turn my lights on. I have had good luck with my current setup so far. I feel that manually controlling my lights, may promote better functionality and extend the life of the ballasts and bulbs as tunnels, snow on the windshield etc.. usually would trigger them to cycle on.
After reading numerous posts here regarding HID conversions, it seems everyone has had different results. Some vehicles work fine in Auto mode, without running a separate harness while others do not.
My work vehicle is also an Ex without the Auto feature, so I am used to having to manually turn my lights on. Not utilizing this feature isn't a big deal for me, but bugs my wife. :)

For her, it's not the auto on she likes, but the auto off so she doesn't have to remember to turn them off. :)

For any install of aftermarket HIDs on the Ford line of vehicles to work correctly you MUST install the/a relay kit. This provides the voltage necessary to allow them to work properly. First thing you need to know is that while the HIDs take way less current than halogens to operate, they need full battery voltage to fire (light/ignite/chose your own term here...). The relay kits provide this. The other technical tidbit is Ford uses a pulse-width modulated voltage signal to the halogens so they get feedback from a lighted bulb versus a burnt out bulb. This is used to trigger the headlamp out warning lights.

I have installed a number of aftermarket HID kits on Fords and I always use a relay kit and I never have any issues with them. The relay kit will cure both your issues...

Back