creaking noise...you think its shocks/struts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

creaking noise...you think its shocks/struts?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
been noticing this a lot lately...when im driving the car constantly makes a creaking/squeaking noise as it just drives over regular roads and moves with the surface...also someitmes when I turn left hard it makes a scraping noise from the front left (i assume the car is leaning down and the tire is rubbing.)

Im thinking shocks and struts need to be replaced, what do you think?

95 explorer with 68 thousand miles atm and I think the shocks/struts are still stock.

here is a video of me displaying the noise as I lean against the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ00MWheW3M

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shocks might be due for replacement but they usually don't make noises.
Bushings can do that noise, especially sway bar links and bushings (the way you press one side only - affects the sway bar the most).

Probably the sway bar mount bushes and or the sway bar links.
Or the control arm bushes.

Spray some soapy water on the bushes one at a time to see if it shuts them up.

Do not not spray rubber with oil.

You have a bad ball joint.

Mine did the same thing, and it turned out to be the lower passenger side ball joint.

MT

damn that's what i hate about suspension problems, there are sooo many components that give similar issues when they go bad it's really hard to know what is wrong :(

Probably the sway bar mount bushes and or the sway bar links.
Or the control arm bushes.

Spray some soapy water on the bushes one at a time to see if it shuts them up.

Do not not spray rubber with oil.
Ditto. The noise sounds like dry or worn sway bar frame bushings. Inspect ALL rubber parts that contact metal.
Lift the tires off the ground using stands under the LCA's or find a shop that offers free detailed front inspections.

could be control arm bushings too . they seem to make the most noise like that when they go bad .

I've had a lot of experience with the same situation. I'm leaning towards ball joints.

I can't watch the video but I DO know that worn ball joints make a really loud creaky sound when just driving down the road.

Back