2013 Explorer or wait for the 2016? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer or wait for the 2016?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Guys, I need to finally say goodbye to my 2003 Explorer. While I love it and it's been good to me, the amount of maintenance it needs right now far exceeds the value of the whole truck.

With that in mind, I do bleed blue and I'm sticking with the Explorer. I'm torn between getting a 2011-2015 or wait for the 2016 freshened look. Is it worth waiting until summer for a new grill and headlights? I like the new look but is anything really dramatically different? I know the Ford seems to make it sound probably more dramatic than it is (retuned suspension, quieter sound/ride quality, more 2nd row seat, better a-pillar visibility etc). I do like that LED headlights I think are standard on XLT but how bad are the 2011-2015 headlights.

All that sounds great on paper but how different is it in real life. I can get a 2013 model for about $25K in my area or get a new one for $10-15K more. I'm avoiding the 2011-2012 model years as they just came out (bugs etc) plus I hear the rotors are much better 2013-2015.

Any thoughts on the points I mentioned whether I buy used or anything dramatically different and worth waiting for on the 2016 model? I haven't bought a "new vehicle" in 13 years so this is a big deal :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can tell you the headlights on my 2014 XLT are horrible. Probably the worst thing about the car. Otherwise, if it was me, I'd look at a left over 2014, if there are any left, or wait and try to get a deal on a 2015 when the 2016's come out. I doubt I'd buy the 2016 and pay a premium.

Sounds like you need a new ride sooner rather than later. The decision seems simple to me.

Funny, the headlights on a 2014 can't be worse than my 2003 so anything would be an improvement. LOL

I guess I can always upgrade this to an OEM HID which I believe was standard on the Limited models.

I wouldn't say the headlights on my 13 XLT are horrible, but they are not the best I've had either, i.e. our 09 Escape is a lot better. I'll probably end up sometime upgrading to HID's, but for now I'm going to live with it.

I say wait for the 2016 just 6 month away.

Not much of a difference outside of appearance. I'd go for the look I prefer.

I think it basically come down to what you want, when you need it and your budget. Orders for the 2016 are being taken now with production to start May 4th. That means you probably won't have it until early July depending on how many orders are ahead of yours. Best deals now I assume would be on 2014 models with 2015 clearances not likely to start until late Spring.

Peter

What's going on with some of you guys and the headlights? I wonder if they changed something in 2015 because I don't seem to have a problem with them. They light up the road good.

Since you haven't added the model to your profile I'm not sure which one you have. It seems that the majority of complaints were on the XLT and Sport. There have also been a few members with 2015 models that have installed HID kits.

Peter

Buy what you can afford. The headlights IN the 11-15's are just fine, good in my opinion! If you like the look of the 16, and the new electronics then go for it. Otherwise, the 11-15's are great trucks.

Guys, I need to finally say goodbye to my 2003 Explorer. While I love it and it's been good to me, the amount of maintenance it needs right now far exceeds the value of the whole truck.

With that in mind, I do bleed blue and I'm sticking with the Explorer. I'm torn between getting a 2011-2015 or wait for the 2016 freshened look. Is it worth waiting until summer for a new grill and headlights? I like the new look but is anything really dramatically different? I know the Ford seems to make it sound probably more dramatic than it is (retuned suspension, quieter sound/ride quality, more 2nd row seat, better a-pillar visibility etc). I do like that LED headlights I think are standard on XLT but how bad are the 2011-2015 headlights.

All that sounds great on paper but how different is it in real life. I can get a 2013 model for about $25K in my area or get a new one for $10-15K more. I'm avoiding the 2011-2012 model years as they just came out (bugs etc) plus I hear the rotors are much better 2013-2015.

Any thoughts on the points I mentioned whether I buy used or anything dramatically different and worth waiting for on the 2016 model? I haven't bought a "new vehicle" in 13 years so this is a big deal :)

I am always a fan of buy what you want, however I wanted to point out something regarding your argument...you are avoiding the 2011-2012 to allow the buys to be worked out, however you are looking into the 2016 model year...wouldn't that contradict that same point as it is within that working the bugs out???

I am always a fan of buy what you want, however I wanted to point out something regarding your argument...you are avoiding the 2011-2012 to allow the buys to be worked out, however you are looking into the 2016 model year...wouldn't that contradict that same point as it is within that working the bugs out???

I don't think it does given how similar they are outside of appearance. To me, if money is not a major concern, it's all about appearance and the look you prefer.

Honestly, seems the '13 and '14 models have a lot of the same kinks at '11 and '12. Ford has not done a great job smoothing over some of the Ex problems and one would have to wonder about that for '16.

Still, I have an '11 I bought used last year, and outside of an easy third row leak from the roof rack fix, - not a problem - knock on wood. Problems get exaggerated on any forum. Given the number of Ex's out there, I think they are pretty reliable. Thing to keep checking before you take delivery is body panel alignment. Seem to be some bad batches, while others are fine.

wait for the 16MY...theres lots more then new front and rear clips.

Im sure the hardware will be there for SYNC3 regardless if it comes out with My Ford Disappointment at first.

11-13 had bugs that were almost completely gone for 14-15....I know I had 11,13,14.

I had problems with my 05 XLT that were going to be a big expense. I traded it for a 13 Ford certified XLT with 26000 miles . There is no comparison. The 13 rides like a luxury vehicle compared to the 05. The 3.5 engine has 80 horsepower more than the 4.0 . I love my 13. I haven't had any problems with headlights.

I updated my previous post on the 2016 dates. Initial order acceptance date is Feb. 2nd with actual production start up scheduled for May 4th.

Peter

I updated my previous post on the 2016 dates. Initial order acceptance date is Feb. 2nd with actual production start up scheduled for May 4th.

Peter

Peter,

Is this confirmed by Ford? I saw that online but you can't believe everything you read on the internet. I also saw that Jan 30 is the last day to order a 2015. is that also true?

I been having problems finding a 2013 or 2014 Explorer. Some are back on a dealer lease or a dealer sells an Enterprise rental vehicle from an auction or dealer service loaner. Either way, all 3 options lead to an Explorer that has been rented and most likely abused, not cared for with no maintenance performed. Hence, I'm leaning towards a brand new one unless I find a private owner sale but these are just about non-existent.

One thing that caught my eye today was that I saw something online showing that a XLT comes standard now with the 8" touchscreen. Again, don't know if this is true or not.

There are deals to had for a new 2015. Find a large dealership that has a lot of inventory (you can search the Ford web with a local zip) to sell.... There are still many incentive programs as well.

I just picked one up with 4500 in incentives and 2000 in "dealer cash".

They also threw in 3 years of "synthetic oil changes and tire rotations" & some type of road hazzard plan that covers 4 "flat tire incident" replacements and a damaged rim replacement. (doesn't really cost them much but it keeps the buyer feeling good about "freebies")

They are more interested in "getting rid of inventory" in order to meet volume goals.

It's a buyers market if you stand firm on a 2015 and your personal price point. Financing options with Ford Credit are also pretty appetizing.

Do your research and walk into the dealership with a printout of the window stickers (from the Ford site) for the cars you want to see. There are plenty of dealerships that want to have your business; be loyal to your wallet, not a dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are deals to had for a new 2015. Find a large dealership that has a lot of inventory (you can search the Ford web with a local zip) to sell.... There are still many incentive programs as well.

I just picked one up with 4500 in incentives and 2000 in "dealer cash".

They also threw in 3 years of "synthetic oil changes and tire rotations" & some type of road hazzard plan that covers 4 "flat tire incident" replacements and a damaged rim replacement. (doesn't really cost them much but it keeps the buyer feeling good about "freebies")

They are more interested in "getting rid of inventory" in order to meet volume goals.

It's a buyers market if you stand firm on a 2015 and your personal price point. Financing options with Ford Credit are also pretty appetizing.

Do your research and walk into the dealership with a printout of the window stickers (from the Ford site) for the cars you want to see. There are plenty of dealerships that want to have your business; be loyal to your wallet, not a dealership.

There are always these people on forums that get "the world's best deal". That and $6.82 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

Back