• Register Today It's free!

Driver side High Beam stuck on

gomli

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys, did a quick search and didn't find anything related to this.

My driver side bulb burnt last week so I went and bought a new pair at Canadian Tire, I installed them and noticed that the driver side headlight is always on, even on low beams. Tried swapping the bulbs to see if it was a bulb issue, even after the swap the driver side high beam was still always on.

I disconnected it for now since I keep blinding everyone.

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening ?

Thanks !

Jo

2012 EX XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the driver side high beam was still always on

High Beam / Low Beam is controlled by a shutter or gate inside the assembly that opens and closes. The bulb has nothing to do with it. The shutter can malfunction (Google search), requiring replacement of the headlight assembly.

also there is a harness that plugs into the back of the headlight assembly. without this connection the shutter will not work (or may be stuck in the on position). I believe it is on the back near the bottom and is black, rectangular shaped, with rounded corners and the long axis parallel to the ground.

Excellent, as always very helpful information :)

Much appreciated,
Jo

bump on this. Having this issue with my 2013 XLT just purchased 2 weeks ago. Only option is to unplug something or replace the entire head lights?

Back