Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
So, today, I decided to watch a bid on a 2000 Navigator (w/164k on it and listed as run and drive) that was at Copart auto auction. Bid came up, current bid was 375, I figured "what the heck, people are bidding 1k to 1500 for these, I'll bid" thinking I'd of course be out bid.

Nope. I bid once, out bid the previous bidder and that was that.

Damn, the wife is gonna kill me when this thing shows up.

So, now I've got my 5.4l dohc engine, but I'm NO where near ready to attempt an install in an Explorer or Mountaineer. I'm probably not even qualified enough too either. sigh......

Am I panicking? :eek: Yeah, slightly.

Attachments

• NAV1.JPG
    NAV1.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 594
  • NAV2.JPG
    NAV2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 588
  • NAV3.JPG
    NAV3.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 584
  • NAV4.JPG
    NAV4.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 593
  • NAV5.JPG
    NAV5.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 591
  • NAV6.JPG
    NAV6.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 593

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fix the two doors, and the rear wheel , and tell her she can fit more clothes in the back when she goes shopping.

figured "what the heck, people are bidding 1k to 1500 for these, I'll bid" thinking I'd of course be out bid.

Umm... Was alcohol involved in that bid?

I've heard of people drunk buying so why not drunk bidding... Of course, If I'm drunk enough to do that, I'm not sober enough to actually do it.

~Mark

Haha, I thought about it, even if I later use the 5.4 for something else. But getting a salvaged title back on the road in GA is next to impossible on the cheap.

Winning bid was $400 btw.

You could have a nice truck. If you can put the necessary funds in of course.

So, now I've got my 5.4l dohc engine, but I'm NO where near ready to attempt an install in an Explorer or Mountaineer. I'm probably not even qualified enough too either. sigh......

Am I panicking? :eek: Yeah, slightly.

Just do it.. :thumbsup:

Delivered. Aired up the rear tires, swapped the battery and it ran. Sounds pretty clean. Drives okay, but need to figure out what's up with the air ride. When it made their lot, according to pictures, it was up. I'll get a quote on repairs. All I really want is the engine though.

Worst case if damages are too much. Buy a cheap expedition, and swap all the Lincoln parts.

Delivered. Aired up the rear tires, swapped the battery and it ran. Sounds pretty clean. Drives okay, but need to figure out what's up with the air ride. When it made their lot, according to pictures, it was up. I'll get a quote on repairs. All I really want is the engine though.

It's not hard to convert it away from air ride.. The person who sits next to me at work has one and after the 2nd > $1000 repair at the dealer for the air bags I told him about switching to normal springs/struts.

I loaned him my co2 bottle, hose and air tools and he managed to change them all out in 1 day. On top of that, I think he paid $800 for everything to convert it. Now he can just use expedition parts next time, if he even has it long enough to wear out the struts/springs.

~Mark

Air springs wear out just like any other rubber product. They will probably hold air, just lose it over time. You can probably replace them easily and fairly inexpensively on your own.

Have to consider the fact that it sat at the auction yard for at least 30, maybe 40 days.
If you look at these pics, looks like it was aired up when they got it. Do to drivers door not latching, lights stay on, so I'm sure it hasn't had power in as many days. I only ran it for maybe 5 minutes. I'll have to see. My plan is to part it out. But if the B-pillar repair isn't much, who knows. I don't care about the title type if it's for personal consumption.

With the damage and the flat tires it looked horrible in the driveway. The tires held air overnight.

And yes, I won't be putting any money into it. Take what I want, sell what I can and scrap the rest.

Attachments

• NAV2.1.JPG
    NAV2.1.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 469
  • NAV2.JPG
    NAV2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_7124 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_7124 (640x480).jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 472

5.4L Go Kart = Youtube sensation = fame and fortune = Be able to buy $600 Navi next time LOL

Seriously, the repairs on that are going to be more than its worth most likely, unless you know a guy.

Too bad you're not closer to me. I'd give you $500 for the engine and you could turn a quick profit.

This Navigator had been sitting for over a year. Changed the oil, put in a new air filter then took it for a spin. This 5.4L DOHC pulls the Navigator way better than the 4.6L pull the Explorer. And it sounds mean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back