• Register Today It's free!

2013 Limited brake pad change

AJ4VS

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I always do my own brake changes. Today I tried doing the brake change on my rear pads with no luck. From searching the forum I found the "funny looking" (at least to me - an ex-honda only guy) piston is to be turned rather than pressed to get it to retract. However, i had no luck finding the appropriate tool to turn this piston. I bought a "Lisle Disc Brake Tool" from Advanced Auto Parts, but none of the heads fit the piston's grooves.

Any advice? I'd really like to avoid paying someone to do something I could do myself.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know what you mean. However, Ford does offer a lifetime pad replacement if you let them do it. They will replace it even after it wears out. Labor is still paid by the customer.

If you are going to be keeping it for a long time, it might be worth it to begin this service. I too have no experience with the Ford rears. I've changed GM and Toyota brakes for years with no trouble.

Also, are your pads evenly worn? If its just one pad, you may have the sticking rear brake issue as described in the sticky section.

I know what you mean. However, Ford does offer a lifetime pad replacement if you let them do it. They will replace it even after it wears out. Labor is still paid by the customer.

If you are going to be keeping it for a long time, it might be worth it to begin this service. I too have no experience with the Ford rears. I've changed GM and Toyota brakes for years with no trouble.

Also, are your pads evenly worn? If its just one pad, you may have the sticking rear brake issue as described in the sticky section.

Yes, everything is wearing appropriately. I hate to go that route, but might have to. I usually do the lifetime brake pad deal at autozone. For a one time cost of $50 I get pads for life and swap them in myself. With ford, I have to pay about $50 in labor every time. I'm still holding out hope to find the tool I need before having to go to Ford.

I borrowed the disc brake tool from Advance Autoparts to do my rear brakes. The kit has several different size parts to fit different rear brake pistons.

I borrowed the disc brake tool from Advance Autoparts to do my rear brakes. The kit has several different size parts to fit different rear brake pistons.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just had the same idea! :)

Just came home with the borrowed tool kit from AutoZone. Actually I didn't know Advanced did loaners so I drove further to a Autozone, thanks for the heads up!

On a related note for anyone tha reads this post in the future, I just saw a youtube video that shows that I could use needle nose pliers to accomplish this also. I just have to apply inward pressure while turning. I'll try this method tomorrow also when I (attempt) to do the job, and report back.

Well, the job is done. I tried with the needle nose pliers. That didn't work at all. However, the brake tool I borrowed from Autozone worked perfectly!

I bought that (or something that looks like that) from Advanced Auto, but it wasn't wide enough to fit into the piston's grooves on both sides.

I bought that (or something that looks like that) from Advanced Auto, but it wasn't wide enough to fit into the piston's grooves on both sides.

Good to know. Thanks.

Back