Torn drive shaft CV boot...again

skpyle

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
Hello Gentlemen!

I am having a problem with the boot tearing on the front driveshaft CV joint shortly after installation.

August 19 of this past year, I installed a new Dorman 932-201 CV Joint kit in the front drive shaft, as well as a Moog 369 universal joint. Install went well, I had no real problems. I did use pliers to pull the boot clamp tight, then folded it over, followed by hammering the clamp down. My Explorer had 137,500 miles on it at that point. I replaced the factory CV joint because it had 137,500 miles on it, but no issues. The factory boot was rough looking, but not torn.

Approximately two weeks and 500 miles later, I found the boot was torn in the new CV joint. The tear was maybe halfway up the boot, for lack of a better description.

For various reasons, it took me until December 30 of this past year to install a new CV joint. The new one with the torn boot was in service for just over 8000 miles and 4 months. The torn boot had flung grease all over the underside of my Explorer. However, upon disassembly, the CV joint looked good inside.

I installed the new new Dorman 932-201 CV Joint Kit. I paid very close attention to detail with assembly. Thinking maybe I installed the clamp wrong and it tore the boot, I bought a Lisle CV joint band tool. Everything went together no problem.

Now, today, approximately 3 weeks and 1000 miles, the boot is torn on the new new CV joint in about the same place.

WTF!?!?!?!?!

I am no master mechanic, but I am no idiot. I don't think I am installing the CV joint incorrectly. I did not let the drive shaft hang by the CV joint while installing it. My Explorer is stock. The transfer case and front differential are in the stock locations.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Now, what options do I have? I am leery of buying a THIRD Dorman 932-201 CV joint kit. Do I buy a Cardone remanufactured drive shaft? WIll it have the same boot? Do I sell a kidney and order a Ford drive shaft?

I am open to suggestions, gentlemen...

Seth K. Pyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you by chance done a torsion twist?

Hello Spartan!

No sir, no torsion twist. Front and rear suspensions are at stock ride height.

Seth K. Pyle

I did mine one year ago. After work I will look to see exactly the miles and condition and will post back.

I think the issue is that the boot gets twisted while tightening the clamp. Frankly last one I installed decided to not use a clamp after exactly the same issue. Realistically the boot might move up a little, but it had a pretty tight fit on the shaft and the centrifical force tries to sling the grease away from the shaft so don't see an issue with grease leaking. Might be an issue if driving in deep water, but that's not a regular occurance. If you really felt a need to have a clamp would look at a simple zip tie instead of that metal band.

I have exactly one year and 14k miles with my CV replacement. See the attached pics (that I took this evening). As of now I have 144k miles on my Explorer.

P1080089.png

P1080091.png

RomeovilleIL, you might have a point. Both times, I tightened the boot clamp down before I assembled the halves of the CV joint. However, I turned the boot on the shaft so it wouldn't be twisted when the bolt holes lined up.

If I go with another replacement Dorman CV joint, I will install and tighten the boot clamp after I assemble the CV joint. I will adjust how the boot sits on the shaft so it isn't twisted.

SoNic67, thanks for the photos! Yep, looks just like mine. Except yours isn't torn. :(

I am leaning towards 'I screwed something up.' There have got to be hundreds (or more) of these Dorman 932-201 replacement CV joints out there is happy service with no issues.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

What I did: If you read my thread linked above, when I put the new front cup on, I have "pulled in" the cup side with the screws (threaded in from the other side), to be aligned.
Also I reused the old bolts and the back side cup + gasket (new one was not as sturdy IMO).

Whoops, I completely missed your link, SoNic67. I did something similar.
I used the new bolts and some matching nuts to evenly pull both covers down tight to the CV joint. I installed the CV joint to the transaxle with the original bolts and stiffening plates.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

Well... maybe the Chinese things are not what they used to be anymore :)
Mine was bought from Advance Auto Parts. It can be a difference in boot material between batches, maybe they changed the supplier?
I would write them:

mailto: techsupport@dormanproducts.com

I bought both of mine from Rock Auto.
Hmmm...food for thought.
Thanks for the e-mail address!

Seth K. Pyle

Alright, nothing like a 6 month update.

Today I did the front drive shaft boogie again. Installed a third Dorman CV joint kit. Just as I said earlier, I installed the boot clamp after assembling the joint halves. Before this, I used a yellow paint marker to put an alignment mark on the boot and flange. I put the boot on the shaft, then test fit the joint on the splined shaft. I tweaked the position of the boot on the shaft so that the flange bolt holes lined up exactly with the joint.
After tightening the boot clamp, I verified that the alignment mark had not moved.

We shall see in a few weeks...

Seth K. Pyle

Do you jump it? Run over big hard things? stuff like that will tear boots or break them. There was a problem with the Polaris Rangers side by sides up until recently they were breaking because of landings the suspension pops them up. I figured I would throw this in

Hello JusTheUsual, I'm afraid not. No jumps or massive potholes. My Explorer is a street cruiser. It spends 90% of its time on the highway, the rest on city streets.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

OK, considering suicide at this point.

It has been 2 weeks and 734 miles since I installed the third replacement CV joint.
The boot already has a small tear...

Seth K. Pyle

OK, considering suicide at this point.

It has been 2 weeks and 734 miles since I installed the third replacement CV joint.
The boot already has a small tear...

Seth K. Pyle

Hey Seth, how about a 1 year update? Just happened to come across this in a search about the boots on these Dorman CV kits. Did you ever get one of these to work long term?

Hello 98GreenLimited!

Not much to update. I am still running the same CV joint and boot. The tear has not increased and is not throwing grease. However, I have not looked at it since the last oil change. Today, if I get a chance, I will crawl under and look.
I have been busy working on my new toy, 1986.5 Porsche 928S. I have just been driving my Explorer.

Seth K. Pyle

Back