Decent replacement headlight bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Decent replacement headlight bulbs

PJR202

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
2013 XLT

I've searched and searched and there's too much info here for me to decipher.

All I want is a decent set of bulbs to replace these crappy factory ones. They're waaaaay too dim. I just want something brighter. I don't need any fancy colors or wattages. Just something that is an upgrade from stock and won't burn up my system. If that's a set from wal-mart, that's fine. I would just like someone to tell me what to pick up. :thumbsup: And if they're not real expensive and will light up the bat signal, that would be great too. The brighter the better, but something simple and safe for my electrical system.

Annnnnd....go!

And thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sylvania XtraVision bulbs are 20-30% brighter than stock bulbs, they have decent bulb life and can last about as long as regular/stock bulbs, and you can get them at walmart for under $20 for a 2-pack.

Philips Vision Plus and Philips Hi-Visibility bulbs are good too, you can find those at some places that don't carry Sylvania bulbs, but Sylvania bulbs are everywhere these days so are usually easier to find.

You may want to check out the wiring to be sure something else isn't causing the bulbs to be dim, even factory bulbs usually output decent light, even when they're older. You might also just have worn or dirty headlight lenses, check if the lenses have yellowed or look hazy. If so, get something like Meguiar's PlastX plastic polish to clean them up. You can even use it and Meguiar's Plastic Protectant on them if they aren't too bad, and then keep using the protectant every so often to keep them from getting yellowed or hazy.

Xtreme Vison/Xtreme Power bulbs are brighter, but have a very short lifetime due to the higher output, compared to the XtraVision.

Also, this and some other general aftermarket lighting-specific questions that apply to all generations of Explorers keep getting moved to the 2011+ Explorer forum. Not cool.

you should try the 9011 (HIR1) bulbs. There is a noticeable difference.

for 50$ you can do an HID upgrade. The HID upgrade is WORTH it. Driving at night is much much better with HID's.

The Diode Dynamics HID kit is now only $150 and it is awesome. It includes bulbs - its a plug and play kit. Plug new bulbs into kit. Plug kit into connector in headlight, and connect kit to battery. The difference is night and day, and HIDs won't overheat your housing like some of the high output halogens will.

Edit: included the price, because a number of us paid $200 for the DD kit. Worth every penny.

$50 including bulbs? And will they last very long?

I had $50 hids in two Mustangs that I installed in 2010. One is still in the mustang, the other was moved to a F150 that I traded in on the EX.

~30K on the mustang that we still have, ~52K on the other set that was in the mustang and F150.

HIDs do not have filaments to burn out, my guess is that ballasts would probably burn up before the bulbs, but I have not either go bad.

The difference between the best replacement Halogen bulbs and a set of HIDs is huge.

If you go HIDs, I recommend 35w kits, not 55w. 55w is crazy, everybody will hate you bright. :)

The Diode Dynamics HID kit is now only $150 and it is awesome. It includes bulbs - its a plug and play kit. Plug new bulbs into kit. Plug kit into connector in headlight, and connect kit to battery. The difference is night and day, and HIDs won't overheat your housing like some of the high output halogens will.

Edit: included the price, because a number of us paid $200 for the DD kit. Worth every penny.

I just watched a video made by Diode Dynamics which was made back in 2011. The guy doing the video said you do not need a relay on a newer model car. He said the power supplied by the factory wiring should be enough to safely ignite the HID's.

I was also thinking since the Explorer is offered with HID's in certain models, the wiring would already be sufficient enough. I don't think they would change the wires just for a different type of headlight.

Vehicles with OEM HID headlamps have 20A fuses while the those with Halogen headlamps have 10A fuses. Not sure if the wiring is different because of the extra current draw.

Peter

Looking at their site, DDM HID kit, 35w is $29.95. The harness is $9.95.
For $10, get the harness. It takes maybe another 5 minutes to run the harness wires and it is all plug and play.

For $10, get the harness. It takes maybe another 5 minutes to run the harness wires and it is all plug and play.

This is exactly what I did and I love the product. Why spend 150$ when you can spend 50$ for almost identical parts? DDM is also plug and play, just have to "reverse polarity" on the connectors and you will be fine.

I am going to get DDM HID fogs next.

This is exactly what I did and I love the product. Why spend 150$ when you can spend 50$ for almost identical parts? DDM is also plug and play, just have to "reverse polarity" on the connectors and you will be fine.

I am going to get DDM HID fogs next.

I didn't have a polarity issue, I guess they fixed it.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not interested in messing with an upgrade. My wife hates for me to touch her vehicles. She can see me have mine in 100 pieces and put it back together successfully but still doesn't trust me..LOL. This will be minimally invasive to keep her happy. :)

I ordered the Extreme Vision.

just remember....you get what you pay for :thumbsup:

I recommend the coolbulbs HIDs for look and longevity .

Links please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just watched a video made by Diode Dynamics which was made back in 2011. The guy doing the video said you do not need a relay on a newer model car. He said the power supplied by the factory wiring should be enough to safely ignite the HID's.

I was also thinking since the Explorer is offered with HID's in certain models, the wiring would already be sufficient enough. I don't think they would change the wires just for a different type of headlight.

The wiring is actually fine - HIDs have lower current draw, except at startup. The vehicle sees the high current draw and assumes that a headlight is going bad, so it turns that headlight off. The vehicle isn't smart enough to know you've installed an HID, and there's no way to override it.

Several users here experienced that exact problem when they skipped the relay and used the existing plugs. One or both HID lights shut off, and wouldn't come back on. Plugging in the old halogen bulb temporarily, then switching back to the HIDs mitigated this problem for a short while, but that's a pain.

Back