New / Need Explorer Advice

BillyV

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Honda CRV
Howdy,

I'm thinking about buying a 2015 explorer. Although I've driven Jeep Cherokees for years, I'm not familiar with Explorers. I'm drawn to them due to their roominess, functionality and fairly good reputation. I know their reputation isn't quite as renown as Jeeps etc. but I'm not looking for a "serious" off-road machine so much as just something functional, dependable and fairly fuel efficient. I've got a cabin in the Allegheny mountains and occasionally need 4WD etc. so the Explorer is appealing to me.

That said, How do you all like your explorers? How's their reliability and fuel efficiency? I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you like Jeeps reliability, your gonna love an Explorer. :D

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Howdy,

I'm thinking about buying a 2015 explorer. Although I've driven Jeep Cherokees for years, I'm not familiar with Explorers. I'm drawn to them due to their roominess, functionality and fairly good reputation. I know their reputation isn't quite as renown as Jeeps etc. but I'm not looking for a "serious" off-road machine so much as just something functional, dependable and fairly fuel efficient. I've got a cabin in the Allegheny mountains and occasionally need 4WD etc. so the Explorer is appealing to me.

That said, How do you all like your explorers? How's their reliability and fuel efficiency? I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks

I'm fairly new to Ford, so not the best reference. I drove Toyota trucks for years. You paid a bit more upfront, but could count on a reliable vehicle with good trade value. My last was a full size tundra 5.7 V8. 381 HP. I pull a 4500 lb ski-boat combined weight with trailer during the summer and was looking for a step down for fuel economy. The Tundra averages 12-16 MPG. But roomy! I'm 6'2 260 and need my space. The wife wouldn't drive it b/c it was too big. I drove a 15 4-Runner for a few days, then a 15 explorer sport for 2days. No comparison. I bought the Explorer after my 2 day test. Roomy, good ride, nice options and good towing power. The 365HP V6 twin turbo Eco-boost picked up if not the same or better than the V8 Tundra. Not towing, I average 20 MPG. The jury is still out on reliability of course, but the first 1200 miles have been great! Good luck with your decision making.

I like mine. It's a 2015 XLT with the appearance package. The only two cars I actually test drove was the Grand Cherokee and the Explorer. I liked the Cherokee and if I were going to do more off roading then I would have probably went with it but the Explorer won out due to a few reasons (all personal).

-I thought the Explorer seats were more comfortable. Especially the leather trimmed suede ones.

-The cabin is larger and the 3rd row allows me to transport more bodies or fold them down and haul more. There are 2 women in my family so we need all the room we can get for our two week trips to Myrtle Beach every summer.

- The Explorer was a smoother ride. It's hard to explain but the steering is the most effortless/smoothest I've experienced in any modern car. The Explorer also didn't bounce as much when going over bumps.

- Overall, I just liked the looks of the Explorer better (especially with the 20" wheels).

New to Ford Explorer / Follow Up

My Thanks for these quick responses. Markymark, if you average 20, what's the best mpg you ever got? I had an 02 Jeep Liberty that could manage 22 in 2WD but that was it. Also, how's the visibility in the 2015? Thought I read somewhere that it was a little limited. Your take?

How about going from 2WD to 4WD? How does that happen? I'm presently driving a 2012 Honda CRV AWD. In it, it automatically goes from 2WD to AWD seamlessly. Just sort of curious how the Explorer works. Thanks again to all the responses.

"I know their reputation isn't quite as renown as Jeeps" Funny :D

My wife has a 14 Explorer Sport. We have had it nearly a year and it currently has almost 15k. We downsized from an Expedition as we just didn't need the space on a daily basis with 2 kids. Our first year has been flawless. We have traveled to Myrtle Beach (about 450 miles each way) and Gatlinburg TN (300 miles each way). On both of those vacations, we averaged about 23-24mpg. Local, normal driving she averages 17 mpg. She has a lead foot though and loves the twin turbos. Remote start, etc. we find it to be comfortable and roomy for what it is. Love the seats. I highly recommend the Sport. It is worth every penny. We drove everything before we ended up with the Explorer. It came down between it and the Grand Cherokee. In the end, we liked the Explorer better. Especially the Sport. The third row has been used a few times and although not really roomy, we at least have the option. Good luck!

My Thanks for these quick responses. Markymark, if you average 20, what's the best mpg you ever got? I had an 02 Jeep Liberty that could manage 22 in 2WD but that was it. Also, how's the visibility in the 2015? Thought I read somewhere that it was a little limited. Your take?

How about going from 2WD to 4WD? How does that happen? I'm presently driving a 2012 Honda CRV AWD. In it, it automatically goes from 2WD to AWD seamlessly. Just sort of curious how the Explorer works. Thanks again to all the responses.

20 MPG pretty much is it so far with 1200 miles is all. I'm sure after a break in period I'll get better MPG averages. The drive is a "smart 4wd system" Always detects for you, so no manual switch. Nice option! As far as "view"? The only thing I don't like is I need to be sure the passenger seat is reclined back far enough so I can see past the over-sized head rest when pulling out into traffic and making a left. Otherwise no other visibility issues. Go drive one!:thumbsup:

Visibility is great. If you didn't mind the visibility in the Liberty then you sure won't mind it in the Explorer. I drove my sister in-laws Liberty once and I felt like I was looking out of a M1 Abram. It literally felt like I was looking out of a tank. It could have been a Patriot instead of a Liberty. This was a few years ago and she doesn't have the car anymore.

The AWD system in the Explorer has 4 modes. Normal, Sand, Mud and Snow. You can feel each mode working and doing there thing. When in Normal mode, most of the power goes to the front wheels and to the rear wheels when needed. In Snow mode, equal power goes to all 4 wheels for the most part. The torque is also reduced to keep the tires from spinning. The one time I've used it this year, it has worked very well.

Ford Explorer Follow-up

My thanks to everyone who responded! Visibility and fuel efficiency sound promising and is pretty much what I hoped for. I'll do some more reading on this forum. Thanks again.

If you are really interested in the Explorer, see if you can rent one for a day or two. It doesn't have to be a 2015 since I believe the 2014 is much the same. That will allow you to actually experience the ride, visibility and layout of the vehicle.

Peter

"I know their reputation isn't quite as renown as Jeeps" Funny :D

Yep, I laughed too.

My Ford Experience:
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L - 160,000 miles - no major problems - never stranded or refused to start.
1998 Ford Windstar 3.7L (I think) - 137,000 miles - no major problems.
2003 Ford Explorer XLT V8 - 249,000 miles - rear differential replaced under warranty; nothing else major - never left stranded or refused to start.
2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L - 107,000 miles - no major problems - never left me or my wife stranded anywhere or refused to start.

OK, I mentioned "renown Jeeps" etc. tongue in cheek. Didn't mean to imply that they were all that great. Some were and some weren't LOL. Yea, I drove Cherokees for many years (ended up with an 02 Liberty) and really liked them but they had their problems.
With me, it really was a "jeep thing." Sort of a "sickness." Ha! I always wanted a Wrangler but never could justify buying one for lots of reasons. Generally, they just weren't practical; too small and sucked gas. Now days, my wife and I like to spend time in the mountain with our grand children. I've heard a lot of good stuff recently about Ford products and the Explorer sort of caught my eye. This is a real good forum. Thanks again.

Back