Shackle vs AAL??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shackle vs AAL???

Torqueranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer 5.0l
I have a 98 explorer and I was looking to see if its best to use shackles-AAL-Monroe coilover shocks??? I am looking to lift the truck or level it to fit 31" tires for light offroad ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out the modified forum, much discussion, how to, tire charts, photos, etc.

Check out the modified forum, much discussion, how to, tire charts, photos, etc.
I have been around a while and most people do both the AAL and Shackle.. But I have also read that the shackles cause your shackles to flatten out ... SO I guess my questions should have been whats the best mod or mods for the money???

Well, I guess the procomp aal+the sensatrac shocks+torsion twist+alignment. I would imagine that would do it. I agree with you the shackles should be avoided if possible. If I was spending the money for new 31s I'd make sure the alignment was good.

I've ran AAL coil overs and shackles for 5 years now never had a problem with leafs flattening out

I've ran AAL coil overs and shackles for 5 years now never had a problem with leafs flattening out
If you just use the shackles and not AAL then the leafs will flatten out .. So I was trying to go the cheapest route instead of spending all the money for AAL,CoilOvers,shackles.. When it will be most likely cheaper to buy new leaf spring ...

Or now I think I about it I could use Gen 1 springs in the rear and buy them cheaper RockAuto.. Now I have to find the thread on someone doing it ..

Back