Fuel pump / Fuel tank - Tips and warnings | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump / Fuel tank - Tips and warnings

Hard starting ...

one day I even had to 'ether' the air intake to get it running. Fuel pressure testing showed that it had both a) low pressure (5 PSI) after 3 power cycles, and b) won't retain pressure.

Since I just lost my job, I decided to try the lower cost approach and do the filter first figuring that if the filter was clogging, it would make it so it could not build pressure fast. Yes, clearly the check valve in the tank is bad, but "waiting 3 seconds after ignition-on to start it" is a lot cheaper than a new pump assembly.

Filter is 10 years old (date stamped 2005 ... car is a 98). After hitting the Schreider valve to make sure the pressure was gone, I removed the INPUT side first and let the system drain down into a glass container ... and the gas was GRAY from all the stuff that flushed out of the filter. So I installed the filter and all is well ... starts easily, and now passes the "3 key cycles and your up to 30 PSI" test.

tpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one day I even had to 'ether' the air intake to get it running. Fuel pressure testing showed that it had both a) low pressure (5 PSI) after 3 power cycles, and b) won't retain pressure.

Since I just lost my job, I decided to try the lower cost approach and do the filter first figuring that if the filter was clogging, it would make it so it could not build pressure fast. Yes, clearly the check valve in the tank is bad, but "waiting 3 seconds after ignition-on to start it" is a lot cheaper than a new pump assembly.

Filter is 10 years old (date stamped 2005 ... car is a 98). After hitting the Schreider valve to make sure the pressure was gone, I removed the INPUT side first and let the system drain down into a glass container ... and the gas was GRAY from all the stuff that flushed out of the filter. So I installed the filter and all is well ... starts easily, and now passes the "3 key cycles and your up to 30 PSI" test.

tpg

9-10 years on a fuel filter (and you don't say how many miles) is nuts. Ford recommends you change the fuel filter every 30k. i don't drive my '01 5.0 EB that much (around 5k a year) but i change the fuel filter every couple of years. cheap insurance. times are tough for many people, but some things aren't worth skimping on. take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you, otherwise it's the bus.

9-10 years on a fuel filter (and you don't say how many miles) is nuts. Ford recommends you change the fuel filter every 30k. i don't drive my '01 5.0 EB that much (around 5k a year) but i change the fuel filter every couple of years. cheap insurance. times are tough for many people, but some things aren't worth skimping on. take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you, otherwise it's the bus.

Ford does not have a recommended interval for fuel filter change; they claim its good for the life of the vehicle

Ford does not have a recommended interval for fuel filter change; they claim its good for the life of the vehicle

Where in the heck did you see that??? I've been working on Ford's since the 60's and I have never, ever seen that published. Not saying it hasn't been, but I sure haven't seen it.

By the way, Ford DOES recommend a fuel filter change with every fuel pump replacement...so that kind of shoots the lifetime deal in the butt.

Well, it might boil down to Ford's definition of "life of vehicle". Maybe they don't consider anything past 10 years :)

Well, it might boil down to Ford's definition of "life of vehicle". Maybe they don't consider anything past 10 years :)

Which is about 5 years longer than any GM or Chrysler product I ever owned.

Did you know that GM tried to sell a Pontiac with no hood? Yep. Only an access door for the owner to check fluids. They did R&D for a couple of years and found out the engine was coming out the bottom so often for repairs they had to can the idea.

Yes, clearly the check valve in the tank is bad, but "waiting 3 seconds after ignition-on to start it" is a lot cheaper than a new pump assembly.
I do that delay will all my cars after they sit for more than 3-4 hours. There is no reason not to wait and I think it helps a lot not to spin the starter with a dry engine (no oil pumped yet) useless.
The faster ignition occurs, the faster rpm's go up, the faster oil film forms and starts to lubricate the engine's bearings/journals:

OilFilmFormation-400x269.jpg

Picture is no very clear, but in "running" condition there is no direct metal-on-metal contact anymore, just a very thin layer (wedge) of oil.

Where in the heck did you see that??? I've been working on Ford's since the 60's and I have never, ever seen that published. Not saying it hasn't been, but I sure haven't seen it.

By the way, Ford DOES recommend a fuel filter change with every fuel pump replacement...so that kind of shoots the lifetime deal in the butt.

As I already stated, Ford recommends the fuel filter be changed every 30K. I recommend 20K. Next time you change a filter with much more than 40K on it, try blowing air through it from the engine side and watch all the gunk that comes out. It's discussing! Oh, and if you don't change the strainer and fuel filter after installing a new pump you void your pump warranty.

As I already stated, Ford recommends the fuel filter be changed every 30K. I recommend 20K. Next time you change a filter with much more than 40K on it, try blowing air through it from the engine side and watch all the gunk that comes out. It's discussing! Oh, and if you don't change the strainer and fuel filter after installing a new pump you void your pump warranty.

I wasn't directing that comment to you...it was to Bluestream1. I want to see his source for such a statement. He needs to back that up before someone here takes it seriously and burns up a pump. If it's true...great. I want to see it though. And anyone who believes they don't need to change filters is asking for one heck of an expensive repair bill.

My wife's 'Benz says to change the oil every 15,000 miles. I kid you not. (of course, it's expensive oil and it holds 9 quarts) The trans oil is lifetime. But when you go to the dealer, that all goes away. They recommend 5000 mile intervals for oil and 36,000 for trans...just what it should be.

I wasn't directing that comment to you...it was to Bluestream1. I want to see his source for such a statement. He needs to back that up before someone here takes it seriously and burns up a pump. If it's true...great. I want to see it though. And anyone who believes they don't need to change filters is asking for one heck of an expensive repair bill.

My wife's 'Benz says to change the oil every 15,000 miles. I kid you not. (of course, it's expensive oil and it holds 9 quarts) The trans oil is lifetime. But when you go to the dealer, that all goes away. They recommend 5000 mile intervals for oil and 36,000 for trans...just what it should be.

My comment was directed at Bluestream1 as well. BTW, I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic (which is supposed to be good for 15K or 12 mths) just to cut down on the number of oil changes I have to do, but I change the oil filters at around 5K. Most of my trucks don't rack up 10,000 miles in 12 months anyway.

They recommend a filter change with all new fuel pumps to keep the idiots with a plugged filter from returning a perfectly good pump claiming it does not work.

Again, please show us where it states Ford considers fuel filters a lifetime deal...because quite honestly, I'm calling bullshit on you. :mattmoon: I just don't think that exists. It's ok to talk about what you THINK...but let everyone know that is your opinion. You are trying to state a fact that I don't believe exists. If it does, show us.

Again, please show us where it states Ford considers fuel filters a lifetime deal...because quite honestly, I'm calling bullshit on you. :mattmoon: I just don't think that exists. It's ok to talk about what you THINK...but let everyone know that is your opinion. You are trying to state a fact that I don't believe exists. If it does, show us.

I stand corrected on that. Dealer told me they were lifetime like Honda and others, but Ford recommends 30K according to my online query. My first Explorer was a 1991 I bought new and drove it 220K with the factory filter. My current ride I change every 100K so I am due for a new one with 300K. Last filter I cut open was like new and clean, still changing it now and then is good practice.

Of course we all know you cant blow though a filter once the element has become wet, so trying to judge the condition of the filter by blowing is not a valid test

Well, yea...but those aren't traditional fuel filters like we are talking about. Those are part of some in tank assembly and you can't even buy a "fuel filter". I know the direct injection Fusion doesn't even show one in the Ford parts book.

blown PCM fuses

My fuel pump didn't work.
I checked fuel pump fuses, all were great.
But, FP didn't work.
Checked other fuses, Mother of Explorer, internal panel #19 and distribution pnl #10 .
Replaced those two, turned key and SMILE. I can do!,

Anybody knows where to get OEM Fuel Pump

Hi all,
This is my first post here.
Pls pardon me if this isn't the right place to ask this.
I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer that needs a fuel pump replacement.
However, I am not in the mood of installing just any generic pump in my babe.
Can anyone point me to where I can get OEM fuel pump for this model. Yeah, I am aware it'll cost more but I believe my Eddie deserves the best ;)
Thanks in advance.

Rockauto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OEM Ford Explorer fuel pump: Motorcraft OR Bosch

thanks bluestream1
Looking through Rockauto as you suggested, I found BOSCH and motorcraft models of the fuel pumps. If price is not a factor, which of these two will you recommend?
While searching for a better price for each, I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4Lri6Fms4 (with a 15% off coupon code on amazon) which claims the motorcraft version is the exact same fuel pump that come with brand new ford explorers. Do you have any opinion on this claim?

Thanks in advance

Back