How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

Great story, Clack!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1995 Eddie Bauer

Mine has 330,000 and change.
Original engine, third transmission

MY 98 has 260xxx miles and runs a mail route every day 90 miles a day 6days per week:salute:

power steering issue

I was looking at another Explorer tonight and thinking about buying it the guy that owns it said every now and then the steering gets real hard to steer almost like the power steering is going out but he was told its something in the steering colum.
Any ideas or comments welcome:salute:

UPDATE: Rolled over 300,000 few weeks ago. I put head gaskets (on the ORIGINAL engine) and a radiator in 3 yrs ago, a fuel pump 2 yrs ago, brakes/plugs/shocks etc., etc., etc.
Guy I bought it from did ball joints, bushings,....usual front end work couple years before I got it. He was WAY extreme re: maintenance, and for that I thank him.....:)
Point is....this is 1st Ford product I ever owned as a daily driver (had an old Ranchero once.....as a back-up), and if I could find another (4.0 L pushrod V-6, XLT,) I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Wow

96 Explorer.Mileage is 92,630. Just can't get rid of that "pesky" ABS Light.

Attachments

• ABS.jpg
    ABS.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 379

Bought this 2000 XLT today for $700. It has just over 152,000 on it. Needs a little TLC (tires, shocks, exhaust leak) but overall pretty decent. Nice back-up to my '98 with 185,700 on it.

Attachments

• 00F0F_kddlP01AEzp_600x450.jpg
    00F0F_kddlP01AEzp_600x450.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 344

guy w/ '97 claiming 800k mi in '08 = 200 mi per day EVERY DAY SINCE IT WAS MADE

I saw someone put that he had over 800,000 miles. The posting was in 2008, and in his profile he states it's a 1997.

2008 - 1997 = 11 years
11 x 365 = 4015 days
800,000 miles divided by 4015 days = 199.25 miles every day since built

I DOUBT IT

- PROBABLY TOOK A DRILL TO THE BACK OF A JUNK YARD DASH

mine just turned 432,000... original engine, second trans...

I was thinking of selling mine but after seeing this mileage. I might just keep it.

257,578 miles so far. 1999 Eddie Bauer. Original engine/trans, rear etc. Love the Amsoil. Replaced the shocks, sway bar bushings with urethane, A/C compressor, dryer, filter, water pump, alternator, belt, front wheel bearings, needs ball joints as they are squeaking, plugs, wires, coils, windshield (free in Florida), repaired gas pedal mount (spot welds failed so I bolted it on with nylock bolt/nuts), engine, trans, air, fuel filters, old radio out, new double din stereo, GPS, Bluetooth phone, ipad, cd player, back up camera combination unit, heater control (used), repaired the overhead console and of course I need to replace again the console lid cover. Front door power lock actuators need replaced and it needs a new driver's side seat bottom as the leather has gone past it's useful life. I love this thing! Value is only about $800 bucks now so I will drive it as long as the motor/trans hold up. Then I'll drop new ones in. I only paid $3000 for it 6 years ago and it had brand new Michelins on it, still there as they wear like iron. NO RUST! This thing is a brute.

I saw someone put that he had over 800,000 miles. The posting was in 2008, and in his profile he states it's a 1997.

2008 - 1997 = 11 years
11 x 365 = 4015 days
800,000 miles divided by 4015 days = 199.25 miles every day since built

I DOUBT IT

- PROBABLY TOOK A DRILL TO THE BACK OF A JUNK YARD DASH

I agree, but it still makes for a great story!:D

Sold it last year but it was a 96 EB 4x4, original engine, third tranny at just over 200k. When I wonder it, the ex was the biggest piece of crap I've ever had...no more Explorer! :)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD 281,345 miles previous owner drove it up to Alaska from Texas, slowly rebuilding her to her former glory... Adding years back to her life after many of neglect!! She will be a great running machine soon!!

148k currently. 200,900 on my last when I sold it. Still ran like a top, no end in sight for that motor. The transmission however, held together long enough to limp it down the road to the next owner.

Don't Buy It!

I was looking at another Explorer tonight and thinking about buying it the guy that owns it said every now and then the steering gets real hard to steer almost like the power steering is going out but he was told its something in the steering colum.
Any ideas or comments welcome:salute:

If it's the rack and pinion, you'll be sorry! They are very difficult to replace in these trucks. You have to remove the front suspension, axle, exhaust system, transmission, transfer case, separate the A/C lines, etc. and then raise the engine off the motor mounts eight inches to get the steering gear out. I have done it and it wasn't much fun. :eek:

Update... on ole red...248,660

Took a 265 mile trip to Houston 4 weeks ago for work, and saw a H2O leak, thought it was a hose clamp loose, no. Started digging in further(at the hotel parking lot no less) and found the thermostat housing , leaking... again. Started taking thermo top off... broke bolt, well now got to take that pain in the rump housing off, again. Broke another bolt off, taking it out. Spent around $100.00 for tools, to remove broken 6mm bolt out of, wait... this is part of the passenger side head..??? Thought it was an intake. Ended up breaking bolt off flush, and drill &re-taped hole(again in the hotel parkin lot) , new lower thermo housing from the green guys (O'reilys) 35 bucks, comparied to the last one i got for $140 a number of years ago. ,had to remove the upper intake($20 felpro gasket set) , made it easier . Drove 50 miles , then drove it home. now going back again, I've got 248660, fill the tank& im off again..Looking to hit that 250,000 mark on a un-opened engine, orig trans, and rear-end. Let's hit the road again Ole' Red!
:burnout::burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While i was at a um... yard a few weeks ago, i saw a 97' that 316,x.. on it, before it met with its demise. Gave me hope for mine.

Back