• Register Today It's free!

18" or 20" Wheels?!?!?!

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of doing my research to prepare myself for buying a new Explorer. I don't want to waste a salesperson's time with 3 test drives, so can anyone tell me how much of a difference in ride quality there is between the 18" and 20" wheel and with Sport? I know this is a matter of personal opinion but I wanted to get an overall feeling.

The Sport trim has a sport-tuned suspension so I understand that will be the bumpiest ride but what about the others? I assume the 18 inch wheel option will be the most comfortable absorbing the bumps? Since my current 2003 model (and my Mustang) handles bumps like a shopping cart, I'm looking for the softest ride as this will be our family vehicle. However, if there isn't a huge difference between the wheel trims, I might consider the bigger wheels because they look the nicest. My favorite is the standard 5-spoke Limited wheels and of course the Sport wheels are downright sinister. LOVE that model the most!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Big ride difference. We ordered the XLT instead of the Limited for this reason. On 2011, the owners manual prohibited off road with the 20's. I bought the Touareg with 19's instead of 20's, and put on a taller tire, for the same reason. I've had my share of low profile tires with the harsh ride and pot hole damage.

Hmmm... I figured that. When put on 18" wheels on my Mustang, I didn't think it was a huge difference as I got use to it after 3-4 years. I went from a stock 45 series profile tire to a 35 series profile tire. I then decided to sell those aftermarket wheels and once I put back my factory 17" wheels, I was amazed as to what I've been missing. So much more cushy and easier on the bumps. The 10mm tire profile height made a significant difference.

When I look at the Explorers, the 20" wheels drop the tire profile from 60mm to 50mm. And if I understand correctly, is the suspension exactly the same when you upgrade to an XLT or Limited with 20" wheels?

I had a 2010 Taurus Limited with low profile tires. I had had enough. I bought an XLT because I could get the 18" wheels. 20" wheels were required for the Limited.

And if I understand correctly, is the suspension exactly the same when you upgrade to an XLT or Limited with 20" wheels?
Yes..same. Sport is different. Unfortunately, there is no option to order a Limited or Sport with 18's. You'd have to buy or swap after the fact.

My 2011 Limited came with 20" wheels but for Winter I put on the Base model 17" wheels. I did notice a bit of a nicer ride with the 17" and didn't have to worry too much about the odd rub against a curb. The 17" wheel may not fit the newer models although there is a member whose dealer was able to install them on her Sport which I think was a 2013. If you really want a Limited model or a Sport, you can always put on 18" wheels.

Peter

My 2011 Limited came with 20" wheels but for Winter I put on the Base model 17" wheels. I did notice a bit of a nicer ride with the 17" and didn't have to worry too much about the odd rub against a curb. The 17" wheel may not fit the newer models although there is a member whose dealer was able to install them on her Sport which I think was a 2013. If you really want a Limited model or a Sport, you can always put on 18" wheels.

Peter

This was not available at the dealer or from Ford. Why pay extra for something you don't use?

I was just presenting an option for NJExplorerFan or anyone else that want the Limited or Sport but doesn't want the OEM 20" wheels. You can't order them that way but you can get 18" wheels from the dealer. That is what I did for my Winter wheels. Of course they aren't as nice as the factory 18" wheels but there are all kinds of aftermarket wheels available.

Peter

Yes..same. Sport is different. Unfortunately, there is no option to order a Limited or Sport with 18's. You'd have to buy or swap after the fact.

Actually, if I get a 2015, I'd like to put the new 18" 2016 model wheels on it. Should be an identical size. Otherwise, if I buy a set of factory 20" wheels and throw them on an XLT, would it throw off the speedometer? I'm thinking Ford programs these differently from the factory.

18"s on limited

Morning, i bought set of xlt rims and tires on craigslist used. they fit just fine on my limited. tire size is slightly smaller than stock 20". didn't adjust speedo. i just don't like large rims. better traction and ride with smaller rims and tires.

My Saab is the Aero with a the sport tuned suspension, low profile tires, etc. Sweet for performance handling, but tough on even slightly bumpy roads, so I would say I have the best of both worlds as the XLT is much softer on the bumps, but still still firm enough for a SUV - IMO.

Actually, if I get a 2015, I'd like to put the new 18" 2016 model wheels on it. Should be an identical size. Otherwise, if I buy a set of factory 20" wheels and throw them on an XLT, would it throw off the speedometer? I'm thinking Ford programs these differently from the factory.
Depending on the tire size you select, the speedo will likely be off somewhat. I use www.1010tires.com to check out the sizes and speedo difference. Click on Tire & Wheel Tech and then select Tire Calculator and punch in the OEM tire size and the sizes you are looking at getting. I think Tirerack.com has something similar.

Peter

I told my dealer that I did not want the 20" wheels for three reasons. 1. 20" tires are way more expensive and harder to find when needing to replace them, 2. Polished wheels are clearcoated and will start to crack and craze over time (been there, done that) and 3. Better ride and handling. I did not like the XLT I test rode as it had 20" wheels and rode like a steamroller!

If I did any offroad driving, I would have went with the Limited, but I don't so I have the Sport. It has a nice balance between ride and handling, which is what I was looking for. Not to mention the extra power, and I like the sporty look. It's also my family vehicle, comfortable, and fun to drive.

I told my dealer that I did not want the 20" wheels for three reasons. 1. 20" tires are way more expensive and harder to find when needing to replace them, 2. Polished wheels are clearcoated and will start to crack and craze over time (been there, done that) and 3. Better ride and handling. I did not like the XLT I test rode as it had 20" wheels and rode like a steamroller!

I don't think the Sport Rims are polished. Also, the 18" may offer a smoother ride but saying they handle better is not true. The stock 20's on the Sport should handle better than the stock 18's on the XLT.

No I stated that it was an XLT and those are polished and clear coated.

The 20's on the sport give an all around good ride on dry pavement, wet pavement and snowy. I also drive about 10 miles on the weekend on gravel. I was very impressed with the ride so far. Like any Sport suspension, you will feel the bumps and grooves. It's not intolerable.

You'll get this argument ad naseum. People will use what they want and like and there is no point in trying to convince them otherwise. Truth be known, I'd actually like a 16" or 17" tire with a lot of sidewall to absorb bumps. The best I could do was 18", so I'm living with them. I have a feeling at some point the smallest wheel we will be able to get is 20".

I remember when 16" were large wheels. I first got them on a 1994 Dodge Interpid. I almost sh*t when I went to replace them. Same with my first set of 18" tires...and I don't even want to think about 20"

I downgraded both my Murano to an SL and the Explorer to an XLT to avoid 20" wheels and tires. So far so good...

I agree that people will recommend what they themselves like. It's like the threads on what oil to use or when to change it. You are never going to get a real consensus. If ride comfort was one of the important considerations then I would say the Sport wouldn't even be on the list with its stiffer suspension and the 20" wheels. Unless you are willing to get the Limited and then install 18" wheels after the fact, it leaves the XLT or Base model with the OEM 18" wheels. Best thing is to test drive vehicles with 18" and 20" wheels since it always comes down to a personal preference.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back