Help! Installing Auto-Dim Mirror ( Without ripping it off the windshield ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Installing Auto-Dim Mirror ( Without ripping it off the windshield )

Camacorn

Reaction score
City, State
Inverness, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 H.O.
I picked up an Auto Dimming Mirror this weekend to go with the overhead console I just installed in my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer. Only problem is, my rearview mirror button has fallen off my windshield twice before, and I just recently put it back on. It fell off last time because I tried putting the auto-dimming mirror on it, and due to the pressure clip mount that the auto mirrors use, it pulled the button right off my window.

Is there a way to install it on the windshield without using so much force that it rips the button back off?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump, still needing help with this. Hope I didn't buy this mirror for no reason :/ I don't want to rip my mirror button off again, but I want to use this auto dimming mirror.

I picked up an Auto Dimming Mirror this weekend to go with the overhead console I just installed in my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer. Only problem is, my rearview mirror button has fallen off my windshield twice before, and I just recently put it back on. It fell off last time because I tried putting the auto-dimming mirror on it, and due to the pressure clip mount that the auto mirrors use, it pulled the button right off my window.

Is there a way to install it on the windshield without using so much force that it rips the button back off?

Thanks!
Sounds more like there is a problem with the glue used for the button! There is some sort of kit to reinstall that button, and most guys break the windshield before it will come off. That said, there is usually a sort of release clip in the mirror mount that needs to be depressed to remove the mirror, although they usuallty just snap on when installing. See if it is bent or something.

When I went to grab mine at the scrap yard.. the thing would not come off. So I just said, well, if I need to take part of the windshield with me, I will.
I actually managed to rip it off and the windshield stayed in tack.
My factory rear view mirror came off really easy, and it's never been off.
What beargap said is probably correct. The glue is bad. You should just go to the car parts store, get the little kit to reattach the mirror, and then attempt to get it off. Your windshield won't crack if you push in the right direction.

When I went to grab mine at the scrap yard.. the thing would not come off. So I just said, well, if I need to take part of the windshield with me, I will.
I actually managed to rip it off and the windshield stayed in tack.
My factory rear view mirror came off really easy, and it's never been off.
What beargap said is probably correct. The glue is bad. You should just go to the car parts store, get the little kit to reattach the mirror, and then attempt to get it off. Your windshield won't crack if you push in the right direction.

Ive used the kit from the parts store both times it fell off. It holds my mirror just fine, but I know it won't hold how much force it takes to put the auto dimming one on.

On another note, the pressure clip isn't bent :/

I also installed my full length center console :)

Did you get the heat working in the back too? :)

You need the better quality mirror mount glue. I know my store sells 2 kinds, the cheap crap and the good stuff.
If not, I'm sure the dealer has the original glue.. for a fortune..

Did you get the heat working in the back too? :)

You need the better quality mirror mount glue. I know my store sells 2 kinds, the cheap crap and the good stuff.
If not, I'm sure the dealer has the original glue.. for a fortune..

I couldn't get the foot duct unbolted at the junkyard, the two bolts underneath are damn near impossible to get at...Going back in a few days with some wrenches to see if I can get it out that way.

Back to the mirror...I bought the stronger of the two glues, they had standard, and then the industrial strength "OEM Formula" kind.

I'm confident that it's the pressure clip that is too strong.

You need a special tool to get the mirror off.
Also, THAT VENT DROVE ME NUTS.
I got it off with a wrench.. however, you can only go like 1/8 turn at a time, and then again, so you're there all day taking it off..

You need a special tool to get the mirror off.
Also, THAT VENT DROVE ME NUTS.
I got it off with a wrench.. however, you can only go like 1/8 turn at a time, and then again, so you're there all day taking it off..

How many bolts total hold it in? I only found 3, two under the ashtray area, and one by the driver foot well, is there another on the passenger?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393003

Check the fourth pic..
I think I gave up after a certain point and just used brute force to get it out, lol.

Going tomorrow to get it, as well as the riveted mount for the rear. I appreciate all the help. So far I've just wired the power port on the passenger side, and added another power port to the driver side that looks OEM, one was not enough for me.

Probably going to add one to the rear as well, incase I ever have passengers.

Going tomorrow to get it, as well as the riveted mount for the rear. I appreciate all the help. So far I've just wired the power port on the passenger side, and added another power port to the driver side that looks OEM, one was not enough for me.

Probably going to add one to the rear as well, incase I ever have passengers.

Let me know how you mount up the rear one and where, I kind of wanted to add one cause I have people in the back all the time.

Let me know how you mount up the rear one and where, I kind of wanted to add one cause I have people in the back all the time.

I'm VERY ocd about perfection when it comes to stuff like that, I'll find a way to make it look OEM and let you know. Probably by this weekend.

Back