Reaction score
City, State
MIAMI, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer sport
Hello Ladies and Gents- New to this forum and new to owning a Ford Explorer-
( 2014 Limited) FWD
Just wanted to get some advise from some of the veteran owners out there-

My first impressions on this vehicle where sort of overwhelming ( Including the wife, which always is a plus:):))- We love this thing!!!! And that's an understatement..

However, I had a couple questions about keeping this thing and all its technology running right-

I have been doing considerable research on the car and it appears that there have been numerous issues ( exhaust smell in cabin, MFT horror stories, tranny problems, overheating problems .. the list goes on and on)-

My question is the following- Is this a chronic problem with these cars? Have any of you had a 5th generation Explorer with no issues at all- How many miles have you put on the SUV? Have most of the common issues been cleared up by 2014- Is this a car I am going to be able to keep for 7-8 years???

Any tips to maintain this beautiful piece of American Engineering?:

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The car is as reliable as any other on the road. These forums are notorious for posting of problems people have. They are looking for answers so they post here. In actuality, the problems are a very small percentage of total ownership. Don't worry about it, and don't read stuff here and then think your car has the problems you read about.

A lot of the problems posted are also caused by owner error or owner ignorance, or simply not reading the Owner's Manual.

My car is fine at 10,000 miles.

We've had ours for almost a year and 10,000 miles with no issues. We have been married 43 years and during that time have bought about 20 new cars/SUV's and this by far is the best vehicle we've ever had. The only problem is my wife likes it so much she wants it to be her car :) Disregard the "moaners and groaners" you'll see on most web forums who look for issues to grip about.

I’ve had my 14 Sport for about 11months and 16K+ miles(yeah, a lot for one year), no issues, knock on wood. As Halwag said, people usually come on to forums to find solutions to issues they are having, not as often to join just to say how perfect their vehicle is. I joined to see what issues people were having and also to see what recommendations for upgrades/mods people have done.

25K 2013 sport with no issues. My wife loves it and it makes her not miss her pre kid sports car. (M3 BMW).. Also remember that forums like this, thought very helpful, represent a very small percentage of explorer owners. These usually are gatherings of enthuasists, fan boy and girls, and people who have had issues looking for help or a place to *****.

When I was still working customer service the rule of thumb was for every bad thing that happens to someone they will tell 10 people about it. These forums are here to help people out WHEN they have issues, though I've seen some people just come here to complain. Most Explorers are great and you'll only be in the shop for tire rotations and oil changes :)

What I'm getting at is don't worry about these issues other people are having and enjoy your new ride!! From what I hear these Explorers are awesome. I wouldn't know since I can only pry it away from my wife maybe once a month :D

( 2014 Limited) FWD
Just wanted to get some advise from some of the veteran owners out there-

My first impressions on this vehicle where sort of overwhelming ( Including the wife, which always is a plus:):))- We love this thing!!!! And that's an understatement...

Welcome to the forum, Adrielmc! I'm glad to hear that you and your wife are loving the Explorer. Of course, I hope you have thousands of trouble-free miles ahead of you - but if anything does come up, I'm here to help! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum Adrielmc.:wavey:
As others have mentioned, many of the members here found this Forum because they were looking for an answer to an issue they were having so naturally you will see many posts identifying certain problems. I had a 2011 Limited for 3 years and only had the battery replaced, a bad front right sensor replaced and had the random or un-commanded windshield wipe TSB done.

Peter

I've had my explorer for almost 18 months now 19k miles and have really only had an issue with the Navigation (tracking, freezing etc...) Although frustrating, the dealer corrected the issue through several visits and the unit is currently functioning properly. I had a minor trim separation issue, that was also corrected by the dealer with a new part.
Having owned previous Ex models, this one is the best by far! I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
Like others, I came to this forum to see who was also experiencing the same issues as I was. I was also curious about modifications people were performing and to learn more about the Sport model as I hope that will be my next vehicle purchase.
I am confidant in the reliability of this vehicle and it's my first choice for long road trips and traveling in inclement weather.
Congrats on your purchase and I wish you many problem free miles ahead.

( 2014 Limited) FWD

I have been doing considerable research on the car and it appears that there have been numerous issues ( exhaust smell in cabin, MFT horror stories, tranny problems, overheating problems .. the list goes on and on)-

My question is the following- Is this a chronic problem with these cars? Have any of you had a 5th generation Explorer with no issues at all- How many miles have you put on the SUV? Have most of the common issues been cleared up by 2014- Is this a car I am going to be able to keep for 7-8 years???

Any tips to maintain this beautiful piece of American Engineering?:

Thanks...
Welcome to the forum Adrielmc!
I have the 2011 XLT and the only thing I had done was the "A" pillar noise repair right after I purchased it in May 2011. It now has a little over 33,000 miles and still drives, rides and looks new. I plan on keeping mine for 10+ years as I drive the wheels off all my vehicles before I get another.
As far as maintaining it, use a good protectant (not Armorall) on all the black plastic on the exterior, and a good leather cleaner for the interior, and you should be good.

Happy Motoring!!

Even though I have had many issues with my EX none of them were mechanical. I have full confidence in the engine, driveline, and transmission holding up for years.

Most users have issues with Fit and Finish and overall build quality. MFT issues with Fords fixes for them - they have made is much better. I have never had any issues with it and find it very easy to use.

My Explorer Sport 13 is at 78000K 2 years old in April.
It has not been back to the dealer since I picked it up
Get synthetic oil changes at Mr Lube as required by Oil life monitor.
Do winter tire (rim) changes myself, still on original brake pads.
Yes I do have the odd problem with Nav and MFT resets.
But I ignor those.

I really love this Explorer

Brian

I've had a few little issues with my 2013 Limited but hey any car is going to have problems and my dealership has done a good job of taking care of me. The Ex is a GREAT car, enjoy it and don't let all the "problem" threads take away from your enjoyment of it. Enjoy that panoramic glass roof, roomy interior, smooth and quiet ride, and overall great driving experience.

My Explorer Sport 13 is at 78000K 2 years old in April.
It has not been back to the dealer since I picked it up

I really love this Explorer

Brian

You really rolling that machine! You must not be home much.

I've had my 2014 XLT (4WD, BLIS, 202A, Tow) for 7 months/16,000 miles. The only problem I've had was a was a single reset of the MFT.

Thanks for the responses... Look forward to driving the wheels off of this SUV- Thanks

I have had my ExSport 2015 purchased end of Nov-2014. Based on what people had mentioned here, I took a test drive of ExSport 2015 in manual transmission mode and revived the RPM's to 5000 just to make sure there was no exhaust smell coming in. Result: Nada. Perhaps older models would have had that issue. I have already driven my car about 7500 miles and no issue whatsoever. Love the ride. Bad day today, as I scratched my rear rim with the pavement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back