• Register Today It's free!

explorer broken into, have ?

fieroman

Reaction score
City, State
cape coral, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport
well Friday night someone got in my explorer that was locked. They took two fishing rods and some cash. my question is how could they get in without any signs. my keypad buttons are not faded and I know the doors were locked (i checked them before going to bed):(

my explorer is a 2002 sport any thoughts would help me on fixing the cause so to speak:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that.. But there is alot of way to get in and not much you can do to stop it...

http://jalopnik.com/5736774/how-hackers-can-use-smart-keys-to-steal-cars
With both wired and wireless connections between their antennas, the team was able to unlock and start vehicles even when up to eight meters away from the key fob holder. They didn't have to touch or alert the owner; just getting their antenna within a few meters of the fob was enough to pick up the signals that were then sent to the vehicle for unlocking and starting the car. Once the vehicles started, they stayed running despite the fob not being present, a feature automakers use to keep dead fob batteries from causing stalled vehicles.
The team noted that their hack could be done fairly cheaply; even the most expensive version cost only $1,000. It also left no trace; since the car isn't getting any false signals, there's no alarms or other evidence that the vehicle has been broken into. And since all keyless entry systems use the same basic design, the hack likely works on millions of vehicles.
Explorers don't have the "start without key in contact" feature... but it can still be unlocked. Keep the keys further away from house entry door or inside a metallic box.

If you ever need a locksmith to to unlock your car door, take a stopwatch and check how long it takes. If it takes the guy more than 10 seconds, he is a rookie. You can purchase the 'slim jim' tool that they use at Walmart for about $15.
I know someone who, when parking in a high prowl area, leaves the doors unlocked and puts a note on the dash to let people know. Prevents the half-wits who use rocks to break in from doing damage.
Don't leave anything of value inside, and don't leave coats, blankets, etc., to avoid the appearance of covering something of value. No need to ask me how I know...

well Friday night someone got in my explorer that was locked. They took two fishing rods and some cash. my question is how could they get in without any signs. my keypad buttons are not faded and I know the doors were locked (i checked them before going to bed):(

I love how everybody now posts how to break into cars, that's just wonderful....

I love how everybody now posts how to break into cars, that's just wonderful....
I know but in reality I get paid to break into cars with permission and leave no trace but you can pick the tools up anywhere if you look hard enough or make your own .. There is almost no car I can't get into and AAA provides the info to break into every car and it's readily available and the tools are so simply it's not even funny..Also if they want your car or truck enough then they will use a wheel lift and scoop and leave and have it stripped down before you can finish the police report.. NJ Parkway rest areas had a lot of problems where people would scoop your car in the rest area ..

You can purchase the 'slim jim' tool that they use at Walmart for about $15.
Used in a locked Explorer a 'slim jim' will trigger the alarm. Try locking the car with window open and then reach trough window to pull the plunger to open the door - see what happens.

If we don't know how the bad guys get in, we cannot protect from that.
It's like the information about "bump keys" - only when it become public domain manufacturers started to provide "premium" locks that are "bump resistant" (see Schlange).

I've never broken into a car, but I've locked my keys in my Mountaineer before and got inside in less than 5 seconds literally. All it takes is an 8" flathead screwdriver, stick it into the space under the door handle and pry up under the area where the interior lock is located, pops the lock up.

Works on all 1st and 2nd gen Explorers, any Ranger, and may work on newer Explorers but haven't tested.

Sure, you can do that, but alarm will sound.

Sure, you can do that, but alarm will sound.

He probably didn't arm it, or has a faulty door trigger, making the alarm think the door was still closed.

If he locked the doors with the FOB, alarm was activated. Unless was disabled by someone else long time before...
So, if he has functional alarm on the truck and it is positive he locked the car (sometimes it can get unlocked from inside the house by accident), then you cannot just "jimmy it".

i think camacorn is right on how they got in. my truck doesn't have an alarm on it just keyless entry with the standard keypad on the door. It will have one soon though

I've never broken into a car, but I've locked my keys in my Mountaineer before and got inside in less than 5 seconds literally. All it takes is an 8" flathead screwdriver, stick it into the space under the door handle and pry up under the area where the interior lock is located, pops the lock up.

Works on all 1st and 2nd gen Explorers, any Ranger, and may work on newer Explorers but haven't tested.

Rangers (or at least the one that I opened up that had been left running all night) seem to have a lot more open space than the Explorers for this. But man, it opened right up. I couldn't believe it was that easy.

As far as the alarm goes - if you opened the door in the way described by his post, I don't know that the alarm system would know the difference between that and being opened by a key.

It's a switch inside that "knows" that a key was inserted.

On my EB, if I raise the door knob up by hand, after locking with FOB, it will sound the alarm.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but on mine you have to push the lock button twice, at which time the horn will chirp and lights will flash to tell you the alarm is set. one push of the lock button on the fob will not set the alarm.

If the horn chirps 2 times, there is a an open door, or, bad door switch somewhere and the alarm is not set.

OP, did you push the lock button twice? I am almost positive you have a factory alarm.

We have to remember that these are not vaults and if someone wants something bad enough nothing you can do to stop them. With that being said I appreciate this info as I have had the battery go dead and I have never had a door key so in the past I was able to pop the hood, if I could find the tools needed, now I have a simpler way. Oh and by the way I just bought a new battery so as long as I don't leave my headlights on all should be good.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but on mine you have to push the lock button twice, at which time the horn will chirp and lights will flash to tell you the alarm is set. one push of the lock button on the fob will not set the alarm.

If the horn chirps 2 times, there is a an open door, or, bad door switch somewhere and the alarm is not set.

OP, did you push the lock button twice? I am almost positive you have a factory alarm.

I don't know about the older models, but on my 2000's & 2001's (maybe my '97...?) as long as the doors are closed/locked the alarm is set. the chirp is more to let you know all the doors are closed/locked. the OP should be glad the thief didn't use a rock to gain entry. the best way to prevent your car/truck from being broken into is not to leave stuff in it in plain view. some will argue that is inconvenient, but if you leave stuff in your vehicle, you're asking for it to be stolen.

Nothing that has been said in this thread I didn't know when I was 16, and I never broke into cars lol

3rd gens and newer have completely different locking mechanisms and door handles. They have pull handles and they dont have a plunger, the door lock is above the door handle on the panel.

Negative. A single push of the lock button will arm the alarm on all Fords and GMs. The horn chirp is simply a confirmation that it is locked, if you are far away and aren't next to the car to hear the doors lock.

Negative. A single push of the lock button will arm the alarm on all Fords and GMs. The horn chirp is simply a confirmation that it is locked, if you are far away and aren't next to the car to hear the doors lock.

+1 on this for my '97 EB. This is my experience; confirmed by the owner's manual. The second key fob press to get the horn chirp is just to provide audible confirmation that all doors are locked and the alarm is set.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back