explorer 2003 guuruu sound from the front bottom | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer 2003 guuruu sound from the front bottom

dreamcoy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer eddie bauer
I bought my explorer a few years back, love it! now it has 168k, so far, no big issue, recently, I notice that some guuruu sound from the front bottom, it only happens after a long trip, like over 25K, when I stop and put the gear to P, when driving, it is perfectly fine, the sound is gone. is it happen to someone or anyone know where it is from? thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my explorer a few years back, love it! now it has 168k, so far, no big issue, recently, I notice that some guuruu sound from the front bottom, it only happens after a long trip, like over 25K, when I stop and put the gear to P, when driving, it is perfectly fine, the sound is gone. is it happen to someone or anyone know where it is from? thanks,

Is the air conditioner on?

The ac seems to be the cause, should recharge it?

Is it a low-pitched 'fluttering gurgle' sound by any chance?

Yes. Sounds like it.

When you think you hear the sound one day, pop the hood, flip open the air filter box, and stick your ear up into it. If you can hear the sound blasting from there, then it is your Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) going. This applies only to 02 or 03 model years. If yours is an 04 or 05, then disregard my post and look elsewhere.

Go buy the MOTORCRAFT brand replacement off RockAuto for 90 or so bucks. No other brand.

Done.

-Dubya

When you think you hear the sound one day, pop the hood, flip open the air filter box, and stick your ear up into it. If you can hear the sound blasting from there, then it is your Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) going. This applies only to 02 or 03 model years. If yours is an 04 or 05, then disregard my post and look elsewhere.

Go buy the MOTORCRAFT brand replacement off RockAuto for 90 or so bucks. No other brand.

Done.

-Dubya

Yes, it's a 03
What is IAC? WHAT'S IS the worst case if I don't replaced it?

Thanks

When idling, meaning the throttle plate is closed because your foot is off the pedal, there needs to be a way for air to still sneak past the throttle body and enter the engine fir combustion. The Idle Air Control Valve does just that - it controls the air entering the engine at idle, via computer. If the valve weakens or begins to fail, it can flutter and vibrate, echoing throughout the intake hoses during idle.

To confirm, this sound should only be present when idling - because if the foot were depressing the pedal and opening the throttle plate, all the air would be rushing along its normal route.

I'll see if I can dig up a video of the sound of my gurgling tonight. I think I still have one.

The job is simple, and the IAC can be replaced before your pasta finishes boiling, assuming your mechanically inclined.

-Dubya

Thanks. Dubya.

I'll check it this weekend.

Another question, my explorer is a v8. Recently, gas mileage dropped quite a lot. Highway 17-18mpg city 13 mpg . Do you think if it's related?

Back