High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

167,000kms, mild timing chain rattle on startup in colder weather, otherwise routinely gets > 21mpg highway so I know the motor's still healthy.

Got 157K miles as of today. Probably picking up a Blue Flame 2010 XLT Sport this week with only 29K miles on her.

220,000 with trans swap at 194,000 runs strong except timing chain rattle.
99 Explorer XLT

I sold my 97 SOHC at 423,000 miles. The guy I sold it to is still using it as his everyday ride. Rear main is leaking now. That's why I sold it.

258 km. No engine problems just a little rough idle while in park or at a light. Can't figure it out. You can feel like on your seat

218,000 on 5.0 V8 AWD trany replaced with remanufactured at 186,000 doing great but needs tune up.

2000 xlt

234,000 use every day, nothing major little hard starting in the cold

192,000mi. Trans rebuilt at 140k. Solid runner, daily driver. Has had the timing chain death rattle since about 125k.

233,000 miles, smooth and powerful!

150K on my 2001 XLT 2WD, a little chain rattle when starting on cold mornings. Otherwise no problems.

1: 160K on 2000 4WD Sport. SOHC going fine.
2: 160K on 1999 2WD 4DR. OHV going fine.
3: 325K on 2001 2WD Sport SOHC Engine replaced with Jasper reman.
4: 226K on 1998 5.0 AWD trans bad now, replacing, car is excellent.
5: 167K on 1997 5.0 AWD trans went bad - scraped
I still own all except 1 and 5.

Expect to get a ton of miles on the SOHC if you change oil and filter regularly. The only engine work I did was to replace the O-rings on the intake manifold when it started acting up when I started it.

Well she just went on me. NO compression, probably the dredded timing chain plastic guides. 235,000 miles. Great truck, will look to pick up another one. It is a shame, had this one exactly as i wanted and updated suspension and hubs, just upgraded to a better battery 3 days ago. Just don't have the facilities ( and it is freeking freezing )or the time to do it myself and remanu or paying someone to go into is too much $$$. Just have to start over.

213,000 on a '97 RWD. rebuilt motor and trans. runs good, no chain noise. we're hoping for at least another 50k.

Update:
224,000 now. 11,000 since April '14 with zero problems. Uses no oil and has no leaks. Will be installing new tires soon. 39k to go until my goal. Anything beyond that is pure gravy.

2005 4x4 XLT with over 171,000 miles. V6 4.0 SOHC

Bought it last summer. Needs transmission service, but the motor seems okay so far. The front of the engine has a front end rattle when idling in really cold temperature. Happens after running for 30 seconds or so, goes away when applying gas. Sounds like a worn serpentine belt, but I just replaced that, idler pulley, and tensioner recently so it's not that.

185,000 on the clock 2004 EB Edition. Only issue right now is the timing chain rattle that I am trying to sort out.

Updated miles. Just rolled over 225,000 no issues except still have the chain rattle. Driven daily and handed it off to our daughter to drive. Still runs strong and gets 22 miles a gallon. Bought it new in 2004 and love it. Hope to have it many more years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My sweet ride joined the 260K Miles Club yesterday and 3 miles from home the belt tensioner broke. LOL!

Back