• Register Today It's free!

Need help

Joewbg1

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer XL
I have a 97 explorer. It was a old cop car. Ever since I bought it. When I turn on my high beams the right headlight turns off completely. And also having problem with the dome lights. When I turn them on with the switch on the dash they work but when I open my door the dome lights do not come on??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97 explorer. It was a old cop car. Ever since I bought it. When I turn on my high beams the right headlight turns off completely. And also having problem with the dome lights. When I turn them on with the switch on the dash they work but when I open my door the dome lights do not come on??

They may have disconnected the wire to the door jamb switch that triggers the dome light. Or removed the switch altogether.

The problem with the headlights could be a bad ground, bad switch, or they may have screwed something up when they removed the police lighting.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Rick is spot on. they have the wiring for the headlight messed up. when you turn on the head light does the high beams work? if so could be bad ground. if not wiring could be wessed up from removing the police light package.

dome lights I believe they disconnect so suspect don't know when they are getting out of thier cars.

They had a wire cut coming out the back of the headlight I found it yesterday. Thanks. Gonna mess with the dome light today. Where exactly is the door jamb switch?? That's what I always said they didn't want ppl to know they were getting out of the truck at night

It's in between the door and the body. When the door closes it depresses the switch.

DSC_4025.jpg

The switch can be near the bottom center of the photo.

In your picture. The rubber thing that holds the wires. On mine that rubber thing comes from the body of the truck then when it connects to the door. There is some kind of box type thing I can't find that switch on my truck. Or even a hole where it would have been. Could it be inside the box thing I'm talking about. I would put a picture on but I can't figure out how to put the pic up

And also. If the door jamb switch isn't working would my doors ding if opened. Because all my doors ding when I open them

you have to host your pictures at a photo site like photobucket or I believe have an elit membership here.

My 1997 doesnt ding when the door is open. only when the key is in and the door is open.

Yeah if keys are in yeah. What I meant is when u open the door. I get a ding or chime. All doors chime when I open them n the hatch n the hatch window If the door jamb switch is bad would I still get that chime.

Back