4x4 Transfer Case Module Help

scorpo8972

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi I have finally decided to get me my 4x4 back. Why? It's white every where and pretty much dropping the white stuff everyday. I hate Feb. Anyway I was told the updated Motorcraft part # is TM 152. However the module on my truck has the same Ford Part number as the TM 152 (2C54-7H417-BJ) so I'm confused. Will I be buying another defective unit or did the new units keep the same Ford Part #? Plz let me now asap as more snowfalls are approaching :eek: If this helps I had my 4x4 Hi Light flashing 7-8 times every minute.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

by any chance is your abs light on too?

have you tried putting it into 4hi and seeing if the 4x4 engages?

my reasons for asking are that my abs sensors are bad causing the control trac to not sense any slippage while in auto, if i switch to 4hi or 4lo it doesnt need the control trac input, it just engages the 4x4 no matter what.

by any chance is your abs light on too?

have you tried putting it into 4hi and seeing if the 4x4 engages?

my reasons for asking are that my abs sensors are bad causing the control trac to not sense any slippage while in auto, if i switch to 4hi or 4lo it doesnt need the control trac input, it just engages the 4x4 no matter what.

Abs light is on with both rear wheel speed sensors. However I have no TC or SC equipped on my rig. So it's just that one diff mounted sensor. I have the module disconnected since March 2014. The reason I disconnected was that every time I made low speed turns (at intersections) I would get a thump thump thump thump. I would also get the 4x4 HI light flashing 7-8 times every minute. Switching to 4x4 LO I never had issues which I only did use when I parked in deep snow.

i would suggest fixing the abs light first, the rear sensor is only about 30 dollars and can be replaced in less than 10 mins. as you probably know that "thump thump" is your 4x4 engaging, my guess would be that its sensing a "slip" situation between the front and rear sensors.

may not be the case but 30 bucks sure sounds better that 250, specially if the part needs replacing anyways

i would suggest fixing the abs light first, the rear sensor is only about 30 dollars and can be replaced in less than 10 mins. as you probably know that "thump thump" is your 4x4 engaging, my guess would be that its sensing a "slip" situation between the front and rear sensors.

may not be the case but 30 bucks sure sounds better that 250, specially if the part needs replacing anyways

I had bought the sensor a week ago, just installed it last night. Went testing the ABS out last night. However ABS light came back on with another code and another code reappeared. New could is C1234 Front Right Sensor Input Signal Missing and the other one is U1262 SCP)Data Link Fault. Got rid of the Rear Wheel codes just for another one too appear.

i would plug your 4x4 module back in and take it for a test drive, even though you have one bad sensor in the front i believe that it takes the difference between the front and rear sensor.

if worse comes to worse id just do the brown wire mod, i have had mine for years now and theres no problems with my truck

i would plug your 4x4 module back in and take it for a test drive, even though you have one bad sensor in the front i believe that it takes the difference between the front and rear sensor.

if worse comes to worse id just do the brown wire mod, i have had mine for years now and theres no problems with my truck

Well essentially my truck is now a winter vehicle therefore brown wire mod isn't really worth it if it's only going to be driven from Nov 1 to April 30th. Problem I have now is that I tried a used one which didnt go very well, module up in smoke back in November as I thought it was the module back then. So I don't know if the module (not the fired used one) will work as the fired one probably fired something else when it went up in smoke. Anything I should check?Fuses?Anything else? Plastic tabs on connectors were melted off so I guess I need to replace those?

So the module went up in smoke? Sorry just having a hard time visualizing what you just said.

So the module went up in smoke? Sorry just having a hard time visualizing what you just said.

Yeah the used one literally had a fireworks display then the big grey cloud of smoke and me running around with my head cut off after beating the used module to death.

I still have the original bolted in its bracket still. Just don't know if a fuse or relay was tripped and I missed it. I checked all fuses and they check out. Didn't bother checking inside the drivers compartment fuses as my ABS, moon roof and GEM wouldn't be working if the fuses blew. Is it safer to reconnect with battery neg attached or disconnected?

well anything is always safer with the neg disconnected, so as a precaution i would

well anything is always safer with the neg disconnected, so as a precaution i would

Ah okay I always do the same but I heard the module is funny that way and some say its best to leave it connected, but I always thought thats just asking for it to fry.

Back