does it realy improve the fuel consumption? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

does it realy improve the fuel consumption?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustan...712775?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&
fits=Year%3A1996|Model%3AExplorer&hash=item3a840f8507&vxp=mtr

i have 96 explorer xlt 4.0l . can this product help improving the fuel consumption?

did any one bought something like that ?

No it absolutely won't in the slightest.

The only thing that will help is stock size tires and the vehicle maintenance being as good as it can be.

At the end of the day you are driving an almost 20 year old suv, it is what it is man.

I can't believe that nonsense is still being sold.

LOL, if anything putting something that restricts air flow can only hurt your fuel economy. I recall they interviewed the creator of the Tornado (a similar device) on the news some years ago. When they asked him how it improved fuel economy, his response was that "he didn't know how it worked, it just worked". More snake oil...

Yeah, don't bother.

I remember awhile ago a lot of these electric supercharger devices were popping up for sale. It turns out they were just boat bilge pumps!

Keeping your rig in good condition is the best way to maximize your fuel economy, and remember that your vehicle was designed when fuel economy was not a priority. When things are working correctly, in my opinion, the fuel economy of these trucks is very reasonable. My 2000 Sport with the 4.0 OHV has averaged 20.6 mpg over 80,000 miles (yes, i've kept receipts since 2006).

do a search for the thread on "quest for 30" in which on of the members achieved over 30 mpg in his explorer.

if your vehicle is maintained, you should be getting about 17-20. you can lower your wind resistance, reduce weight, and improve engine efficiency to squeeze out a few more mpgs.

+1 on "I can't believe they're still selling that crap." I used to see that stuff at the World of Wonder building at the State Fair. Snake oil is alive and well.

thanks alot to all of you.

and what about that snke oil? where can i buy it ? would it help :)

It's at the auto parts store right next to the blinker fluid.

Good maintenance is key. If I do 55mph on the highway with no headwind, I typically get about 19-20mpg. That's with a full-size lightbar mounted on the roof. Make sure you don't have any dragging brakes, make sure the engine is in tip-top shape, and ensure the tires are inflated properly. Not much else you can do beyond that.

I wonder how much a front license plate bracket (stock) and license plate will decrease MPG, if any.

I plan on adding one to my Explorer. Here in MI we only need a rear plate, but I want to mount a Jurassic Park novelty plate in the front. :)

I can't believe that nonsense is still being sold.
I am thinking the same about spam emails. But obviously they still work, otherwise people would not deploy them :)
I wonder how much a front license plate bracket (stock) and license plate will decrease MPG, if any.
I plan on adding one to my Explorer. Here in MI we only need a rear plate, but I want to mount a Jurassic Park novelty plate in the front. :)
Really? You are driving basically a brick wall and you worry about a tiny plate in front of the bumper?
On my experience, measured with an OBDII reader, the MPG starts to suffer at over 60-65mph. At 80mph is as bad as city driving.
But... this doesn't mean that I can drive 55 :)

Be sure and check your muffler bearings !

you can get a tune that will increase mileage if its one thats done correctly. You will need an interface to your trucks computer (sct device) and a tune to load but ill bet you could eek out at least 1 mpg improvement.

LOL, 26 Sold....

Those 26 poor mislead people...

LOL, 26 Sold....

The easiest way to prey on someone is someone in need. People who can barely make ends meet, and look for any ways to make money last longer. Scammers eat em for break fast.

Anyways another vote for the "Hell no" crowd. Its bull. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Avoid at all costs.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned a conversion to dual exhaust.. that wouldn't help with the milage a few MPG's?

Compared to the overall cost of keeping these trucks on the road fuel cost is miniscule. I have a new transmission in there.

Compared to the overall cost of keeping these trucks on the road fuel cost is miniscule. I have a new transmission in there.

So true. I need a rebuild engine. For 5 years now I am running with 5W50 to have some acceptable oil pressure :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The easiest way to prey on someone is someone in need. People who can barely make ends meet, and look for any ways to make money last longer. Scammers eat em for break fast.

Anyways another vote for the "Hell no" crowd. Its bull. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Avoid at all costs.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned a conversion to dual exhaust.. that wouldn't help with the milage a few MPG's?

I doubt an exhaust (or any bolt-ons, actually) would lead to a measurable improvement in fuel economy.

A free-flowing exhaust will increase max horsepower but fuel economy is normally based on cruising loads, ie, not at maximum horsepower. At cruising loads, the factory exhaust has plenty of capacity.

The only bolt-in that seems to REALLY improve fuel economy is an electric fan.

Back