Can I make my transmission quit learning? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I make my transmission quit learning?

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Timberline w/TechPak
I loved the way my Ex drove when it was new. It was peppy and the transmission felt like it shifted at just the right time. But, after a short while, it got sluggish. It seems loath to downshift when needed and seemed to hesitate when taking off. I assume it had learned from my usual, little old lady, driving style.

When duck season came in and I switched from the key with the built-in fob to a chipped key without a fob the transmission seems to work much better. This was, my opinion, because I drive on the highway a lot more when duck hunting and usually pull a small aluminum boat but don't put it in tow mode.

Anyway, are there thoughts on whether the performance mentioned in the first paragraph was due to the transmission 'learning'. If so, I can turn that feature off and just make it act like it did out of the box?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, the 'learning' process cannot be turned off. It can be forced to relearn after a battery disconnect but that is about it.

Peter

It can be turned off through IDS. I have done it to my car.

I'd be curious to know exactly what mode the transmission would revert to if the 'learning' is disabled? Please report back if the dealer in fact will do what you ask. Thanks.

Peter

I'd be curious to know exactly what mode the transmission would revert to if the 'learning' is disabled? Please report back if the dealer in fact will do what you ask. Thanks.

Peter

You clear out what it has learned then turn learning mode off. So its just like it hasn't been driven before. My experience with my SHO is that the shifts are firm and acceleration is outstanding. As you drive it more shifts are softer and acceleration isn't as quick. Clear out the learning and shut it off...everything stay firm and quick, no learning takes place.

The Owner's Guide states that, "A new vehicle or transmission may have firm shifts, soft shifts or both." This is before the 'learning' process so it seems you could have anyone of them.

Peter

The XLT does not recognize different keys for different driving patterns, so it may just be the conditions that caused the vehicle to behave differently. Or it may have just been your perception.

The XLT does not recognize different keys for different driving patterns, so it may just be the conditions that caused the vehicle to behave differently. Or it may have just been your perception.

It certainly has My Key programming available. I know the seats and mirrors don't adjust to the key being used, but that's a very different thing. I'm betting that it does have adaptive transmission programming per key...I'm pretty perceptive...:)

It certainly has My Key programming available. I know the seats and mirrors don't adjust to the key being used, but that's a very different thing. I'm betting that it does have adaptive transmission programming per key...I'm pretty perceptive...:)

Ummm, if you can show me evidence that the transmission is programmed to the key, I'll give you a dollar b

Not sure about your last statement Rubberhead. According to the Owner's Guide, the adaptive learning is done so over a period of time which to me would indicate it can't be changed instantaneously. The learning of the idle and fuel trim settings also is tied into your driving style. No where in the guide do I recall reading that either of these systems is tied into the My Key feature.

Peter

I only say what I say because without trying, I noticed the difference. Granted, I live and commute to work over 3 miles and 5 stop lights. When I duck hunt I live in a different house, drive in a very rural area and only hit two red lights in a usually 50 mile one-way trip while I'm towing a boat.

I'll try the 'boat' key on the commute tomorrow and see if there's a noticeable difference.

Not sure about your last statement Rubberhead. According to the Owner's Guide, the adaptive learning is done so over a period of time which to me would indicate it can't be changed instantaneously. The learning of the idle and fuel trim settings also is tied into your driving style. No where in the guide do I recall reading that either of these systems is tied into the My Key feature.

Peter

My point about the My Key was that the XLT does have systems that recognize individual keys - not that it was programmable with the My Key functions.

I'm not sure if your truck has it, but I can override my transmission with a touch of a button. If yours has that, shift into select mode and shift till you can't stand it. That will override any shift memory your truck has.

Back