wvex100

Reaction score
City, State
huntington wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer
any good Ideas where to start. looks like control box has a fuse and relay
none of the switches work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe a broken wire (or two) in the door. That solved all my window, door lock and non-operative passenger side rear view mirror issues. Since fixing the three broken wires I found, I haven't had any trouble since (7 months). (Knocking on wood.) Found three broken in the rubber accordion gasket on the driver's side door.

does one wire control all windows no matter if you use the other switches. None work
door locks work from time to time using switch on drivers door and all time using the key doggle

If you have a short to the master switch none of the windows will work. Try hitting a window down button with the door open while wiggling the black accordion boot in the door jam.

will try thanks
that gives me place to start.
I havent tried the un hook battery try yet .

will try thanks
that gives me place to start.
I havent tried the un hook battery try yet .

I also have a 2005 Explorer and I had a broken wire to the front passenger side window that wouldn't work and I found it broken in the driver's door boot. After you take the inner drivers door panel off, remove the speaker and use that opening for hand access to the large wire bundle that runs thru the rubber door jam boot. Carefully pull on each wire and see if one or more of them pull back into the inner cavity of the door. If you find a broken wire/s, the other end will be located some where in the door boot. You'll need to get some new 12 gauge wire (use a short section of it) to reconnect the two ends of the broken wire, which you can either solder together or use "electrical butt connectors (crimp in place)" to make the repair. Give yourself enough length of new wire so that it takes the tension off of the repaired wire/s when the door opens and closes so that they do not break apart again in the future. I used a butt connector and it is still working fine approx. 2 years later.

ok guys found that if you open door they work. so what is best way to get the wires out of boot? do you cut it open and zip tie it back ?

From another thread:

Got time to dig into the boot and found two broken wires; one was the thick black wire that prevented windows from working properly and the other was a small one that controlled the mirrors. Now they're all working again.

One issue I had during the repair was how to keep the boot out of the way. I ended up pulling the boot out of the body and pushing it into the door completely (after untaping the door side of the boot) so it was completely out of the way during the repair. The rubber is soft enough to go through the holes on the door and then slide down inside the door to keep it away from the wiring you're trying to repair. Take the speaker out and you can do a butt connector on the wires by pulling them into the speaker hole. Had to do that because the break left very little wire coming out of the door. It also allowed me to use a conventional wire stripper. But I had a spark coming off the black wire exiting the body when it accidently brushed against the body of the car. Not sure why, since I didn't have the key on. But I did leave the battery connected. No blown fuse on anything as it was very brief; just enough to get my attention.

Got them both fixed, tested and all is good.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270081

thanks will do when it gets warmer.

When all the windows stopped working in my '02 Ex, I repaired the thick black wire and that fixed the issue.

I'll post up some good info when I get home tonight!!!

Back