• Register Today It's free!

Accelerator Pedal "Clicks"

Tony407

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
When I'm driving around town and go from lightly depressing the gas pedal to easing up, there's a "click" that comes from the pedal when letting up. Only did it every once in a while and now it's doing it pretty much all the time. Anyone else notice this?

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I'm driving around town and go from lightly depressing the gas pedal to easing up, there's a "click" that comes from the pedal when letting up. Only did it every once in a while and now it's doing it pretty much all the time. Anyone else notice this?

Tony

Search here:

http://www.fordproblems.com/Explorer/

The clicking you hear is the kickdown switch actuating. Our Ex's have an electronic throttle and there are switches on the pedal lever to kick down the tranny a gear among other reasons

The clicking you hear is the kickdown switch actuating. Our Ex's have an electronic throttle and there are switches on the pedal lever to kick down the tranny a gear among other reasons

Are you sure?

I would think the throttle position sensor would provide the feedback to the ECU and Transmission to dictate the kickdown since pretty much everything is electronic.

Also, why would the kickdown switch be clicking from being lightly on the throttle to letting off? I would think the kickdown switch(by switch I think on/off type of switch) would be more active at greater throttle input.

I haven't experienced this 'clicking' in either my previous 2011 Limited or the current MKT and both have same electronic system as far as I know. If there isn't anything obvious with the pedal itself, it might be that a dealer visit is in order. Yours is the first post of its kind that I can recall.

Peter

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I dislike taking my vehicles into the dealership (too many bad experiences), so I'll get out a flashlight and take a look myself first.

I doubt it's the kickdown feature (but thanks for the idea!) because it does it within the first 1/4-inch of movement, long before the pedal is depressed far enough to cause the engine to downshift. I hope it's just something that needs some grease or is obvious to a physical examination!!

Tony

Looks like my brand new '17 has this accelerator click when I'm at a stop, and just just to press the accelerator. Anyone ever end up having an idea of what this is? Anything easy that I can check myself before having to take to a dealer already (literally 2 days)

Looks like my brand new '17 has this accelerator click when I'm at a stop, and just just to press the accelerator. Anyone ever end up having an idea of what this is? Anything easy that I can check myself before having to take to a dealer already (literally 2 days)
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
PM sent to Tony407 to check for update.

Peter

Just to add some info to the forum.

Most new accelerator pedals setup this way:

The "kickdown" switch is just a tactile feedback button. It is just a button with a spring that clicks. That's it, nothing electronic about it.

Kickdown is based on the position read by the Hall effect sensors in the pedal assembly. When the pedal voltage is in a certain range it is in kickdown.

As far as a click from the pedal it maybe interfering with another part. Only moving part in the pedal is the pedal arm. The sensor inside the top of the pedal shouldn't have any moving parts.

Haven't heard the click on the gas pedal, but I do hear it on the odd occasion from the brake pedal.

hmm guessing I might just have to get under there this weekend and see what's going on. Doesn't happen all the time, but I do feel it occasionally. Notice some feedback in the pedal at certain times driving too so just keeping an eye on it right now

I don't know about everyone else, but my clicking problem seems to have worked itself out on its own. Yay!

Tony

Haven't heard the click on the gas pedal, but I do hear it on the odd occasion from the brake pedal.

Asked my tech about this, apparently it triggers an extra vacuum pump. Something inherent to the turboed nature of the engine under a certain set of conditions.

Asked my tech about this, apparently it triggers an extra vacuum pump. Something inherent to the turboed nature of the engine under a certain set of conditions.

Turbo vehicles have to have a vacuum pump for the brakes due to positive manifold pressure at about any position but idle. Without it there are some cases where you could lose power brakes.

Service manual says only the 2.0L Turbo has it though and it is cam driven. i have seen electronic ones on Kia Optimas.

Turbo vehicles have to have a vacuum pump for the brakes due to positive manifold pressure at about any position but idle. Without it there are some cases where you could lose power brakes.

Service manual says only the 2.0L Turbo has it though and it is cam driven. i have seen electronic ones on Kia Optimas.
I have the 3.5EB.

That sounds about right.

So I've been monitoring the issue that I felt with my new 2017 and it's gotten a little more specific. It seems the only time I feel the click and somewhat of a clunk, is only when I first start the car, and I initially start to accelerate. As soon as I get to about 5mph I hear the clunk and can feel the feedback in the gas pedal. That's the only time the audible clunk happens. I'm still feeling an awful lot of feedback on the gas and brake pedals as well. They seem much looser than my other vehicles when it comes to road bumps etc. Anybody with any ideas what would cause a clunk ONLY when I first start the vehicle and start to accelerate, and not when I'm at say a stop light and take off slowly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've been monitoring the issue that I felt with my new 2017 and it's gotten a little more specific. It seems the only time I feel the click and somewhat of a clunk, is only when I first start the car, and I initially start to accelerate. As soon as I get to about 5mph I hear the clunk and can feel the feedback in the gas pedal. That's the only time the audible clunk happens. I'm still feeling an awful lot of feedback on the gas and brake pedals as well. They seem much looser than my other vehicles when it comes to road bumps etc. Anybody with any ideas what would cause a clunk ONLY when I first start the vehicle and start to accelerate, and not when I'm at say a stop light and take off slowly?
What you are noticing is the 'ABS self check'. Perfectly normal. It is most noticeable just as you begin driving. https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/what-is-the-anti-lock-brake-self-test

Peter

Back