Windows stutter... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows stutter...

Hello. I did a few searches but couldnt come up with anything. If this has been discussed before, my apologies.

My wife has a 2013 XSport. I was driving with her the other day and noticed that the passenger side window, jumps up and down for the first few inches when you put it down. Basically if the window is all the way up and you send it down, it shudders up and down for around 6 inches and then proceeds to finish opening smoothly. The driver side doesnt. Its almost like it bounces up and down, or is rubbing too hard on the rubber seals and kinda is getting stuck. It doenst really get stuck. I'll try to take a video to illustrate this if I get some time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm probably going to have to take it to the dealer to check it out. I'm worried that this would create excessive wear and tear on the window motor. She is still under warranty for now.

Hi Boost,

Ironically I can speak to this. I had parked the Explorer in an effort to save mileage. My husband drove it and immediately called me to ask about the shuddering windows. I had not noticed additionally I don't know if this was something new. We made an appointment at the dealer and my service adviser informed me he would have it fixed in 4 hours or less. The dealer kept their promise and the windows no longer shudder.

Good luck!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Boost,

Ironically I can speak to this. I had parked the Explorer in an effort to save mileage. My husband drove it and immediately called me to ask about the shuddering windows. I had not noticed additionally I don't know if this was something new. We made an appointment at the dealer and my service adviser informed me he would have it fixed in 4 hours or less. The dealer kept their promise and the windows no longer shudder.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the reply AZmom. That gives me some reassurance that this can be fixed, and in a timely manner. I'm going to make an appointment soon and will report back!

FYI Updated TSB include 2013-from NHTSA site

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-13-6-13
Component(s): VISIBILITY
NHTSA ID Number: 10053467
All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)

FORDEXPLORER2011-2013
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
SUMMARY:
FORD: WHEN FRONT WINDOW GLASS, ON SOME VEHICLES, ARE BEING OPENING OR CLOSING, THERE IS A CHATTERING OR JUMPING MOVEMENT. MODELS 2011-2013 EXPLORER. *PE

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-13-6-11
Component(s): STRUCTURE , VISIBILITY
NHTSA ID Number: 10053465

FORDEXPLORER2013
FORDTAURUS2013

SUMMARY:
FORD: ON THE LEFT OR RIGHT FRONT DOOR, ON SOME VEHICLES, THE BALLISTIC DOOR PANELS MAY EXHIBIT A STICKING OR BINDING OF DOOR WINDOW GLASS. MODELS 2013 TAURUS, EXPLORER. *PE

FYI Updated TSB include 2013-from NHTSA site

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-13-6-13
Component(s): VISIBILITY
NHTSA ID Number: 10053467

FORDEXPLORER2011-2013
SUMMARY:
FORD: WHEN FRONT WINDOW GLASS, ON SOME VEHICLES, ARE BEING OPENING OR CLOSING, THERE IS A CHATTERING OR JUMPING MOVEMENT. MODELS 2011-2013 EXPLORER. *PE

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-13-6-11
Component(s): STRUCTURE , VISIBILITY
NHTSA ID Number: 10053465

FORDEXPLORER2013
FORDTAURUS2013

SUMMARY:
FORD: ON THE LEFT OR RIGHT FRONT DOOR, ON SOME VEHICLES, THE BALLISTIC DOOR PANELS MAY EXHIBIT A STICKING OR BINDING OF DOOR WINDOW GLASS. MODELS 2013 TAURUS, EXPLORER. *PE

Luker- are those TSBs accessible in full? Would like to know what kind of fix they prescribe

3-6-11 - cant find it, only applies to PE Taurus and Ex & ballistic door panels so must only be police cars.

TSB 3-16-3
2013 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD V6-3.5L

Vehicle » Technical Service Bulletins » Customer Interest » Body - Front Window Glass Jumps/Chatters When Operated

•Body - Front Window Glass Jumps/Chatters When Operated

TSB 13-6-13

06/14/13

FRONT WINDOW GLASS JUMPS/CHATTERS DURING UP/DOWN TRAVEL
FORD:
2011-2013 Explorer

The article supersedes TSB 12-3-2 to update the vehicle model years and the Part List.
ISSUE
Some 2011-2013 Explorer vehicles may exhibit the front window glass jumping or chattering during up/down travel.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Replace the front Window Regulator Motor on the affected door(s), refer to Workshop Manual, Section 501-11.

Its either a one-touch or a regular window regulator motor, right and left.

EB5Z-7823394-A Window regulator motor-one touch-right hand
same # but 95-A left hand

EB5Z-7823394-B Window regulator motor-right hand
95-B left hand

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

130613A 2011-2013 Explorer: 0.8
Replace One (1) Front
Door Window Motor
Includes Time To Initialize
Window Motor If
Necessary (Do Not Use
With Any Other Labor
Operations)

130613B 2011-2013 Explorer: 1.4
Replace Both (2) Front
Door Window Motors
Includes Time To Initialize
Window Motor If
Necessary (Do Not Use
With Any Other Labor
Operations)

DEALER CODING CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7823394 42

Thanks - so on the Explorer, looks like they prescribe replacing the window motor - that's a far cry from just greasing tracks or something like that.

After it warms up a little, I will see if mine still chatters (2015 Sport). They were chattering at times during the summer. Don't really want them messing up my door panels to get at the motors, but if this issue relates to the motor and not simply friction from the felt window scrapers, insulation or window channels/guides, then I'm concerned that the motor is defective and headed for failure at some point.

Released today:

Mar 09 2015 6116-2011-2015 Explorer Front Window Glass Jumps/Chatters During Up/Down Travel

Some 2011-2015 Explorer vehicles may exhibit the front window glass jumping or chattering during up/down travel. Replace the front Window Regulator Motor on the affected door(s), refer to Workshop Manual, Section 501-11. For one touch leftside window regulator motor use EB5Z-7823395-A, one touch right side window regulator motor EB5Z-7823394-A, non-one touch left side window regulator motor EB5Z-7823394-C, non-one touch right side window regulator motor EB5Z-7823395-C. Use the applicable labor operation in the SLTS manual.

^^^ the tsb is correct - surprised it still applies to 2015....why are undersized regulators still used???? ...the door panels need to come off and unless the tech actually cares about doing a good job they should use new PINS. I am sure a lot of them will not and will just push the existing PINS in the panel will never sit flush. Also make sure when the tech takes the panel off completely OR puts some tape on the bottom of the panel so it does not scrape against the concrete floor when the take it off (as some will leave the connections on) and just set aside the panel. This is what my tech did and the bottom of the panel was scuffed up.

This was on a brand new 2013 Explorer - now I have 52K and don't sweat things like that but for others it can be an isssue...as i know it bothered me.

Also if the panel does not sit right you make get some noise later.....

Has anyone had the problem with their window making noise as it goes down, but not up? It should be quiet like the other windows.

I went to the dealer and they replaced the regulator motor. Its still is not quiet and smooth. Do I go back? Is it just not supposed to be smooth?

I dont get how they can go through all of that to fix this issue and its not fixed?

Unfortunatly probably need to go back to the dealership, especially if it does it all the time.

Mine makes noise going up but not down. I haven't had it back to the dealer yet.

Had both fronts replaced and they are just as noisy now as before. Should take it back again but that is just a PIA. Should be a simple as its a common complaint but this is one Ford appears not to have a good fix.

Has anyone had the problem with their window making noise as it goes down, but not up?...

Mine makes noise going up but not down...

Had both fronts replaced and they are just as noisy now as before...

Hey, folks!

I'll be happy to do what I can to make sure your windows are quiet again. If you've already been to the dealership, send your details to me in a private message (PM) so I can get your regional customer service managers involved. All I need to get things moving in the right direction is your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Its been over a week and the regional Ford Service Manager has not contacted me as promisedby Crystal.

Last week I stopped by my dealer to complain about the window stutter after having the regulators changed. The service writer said he would look into the issue and get back to me. So today I stopped by the dealer and asked him what if anything he had found out? Just classic; he digs down into the pile of papers on his desk put out a sheet and says "yep, I've got all your information right here, as soon as I learn anything I'll let you know"

My guess is he never learns anything.

Window "stutters" when going down

Has anyone else had an issue with the power window being shaky or stuttering when going down? It's hard to explain, but it's basically "choppy" and not smooth as it travels down into the door. It's only the front passenger window, and only when going down, all of the other windows work fine, up or down.

I do have the window tinted, but the driver's side (also tinted) is working fine. I have it on my list of things to get looked at when I go in for my first service appointment, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Thanks!

There is a TSB to have the window regulator motors replaced in the front.
Unfortunatley its been happening since 2011, do a search on here and you will find it.

I had this same issue and when I went in for service and notified the dealership of this issue I was told it was normal....really! So if you have better luck or can site the bulletin for this please let me know so I can site it next time I go in.

This whole thing stinks. I had both front doors regulators replaced last fall and it made no difference, they stutter on the way down. Yes there is a TSB, in fact I dropped it off this morning at the dealer who said he would look into it two weeks ago. It is so funny that the service writers act like they have never heard of this before, I think that is BS. This is a known problem its been on this forum for at least a couple of years. BTW, Crystal who is Ford's eyes on this Forum said she would have the regional service Mgr call me but of course I have heard nothing. In as much they changed my regulators / motors it must not be normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my window regulators got replaced couple years ago and now it does it again, I have learned not to be bothered with this noise...

Back