• Register Today It's free!

Rigid Conduit for bumper??

97Mounty97

Reaction score
City, State
Port Huron, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could use emt conduit or rigid conduit to make kind of like a prerunner bumper or tube bumper with a stinger on it.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you made a stinger with EMT, it could bend by simply leaning on it! Way too flimsy imho. The rigid would fare better, but still not that sturdy.

If you made a stinger with EMT, it could bend by simply leaning on it! Way too flimsy imho. The rigid would fare better, but still not that sturdy.

Even if I used 1.5" or 1.75" rigid conduit it wouldn't be sturdy?

Not enough to provide any real protection. IMC and RMC are both a very "soft" galvanized steel. That's why you can bend them with a Chicago or sidewinder style bender so easily. I'm an electrician by trade, so I do have some experience! You would probably fare better using some "black pipe" like they use in sprinkler systems, I think it's a little tougher than rigid or IMC. Good luck with your plans, though! :)

Not enough to provide any real protection. IMC and RMC are both a very "soft" galvanized steel. That's why you can bend them with a Chicago or sidewinder style bender so easily. I'm an electrician by trade, so I do have some experience! You would probably fare better using some "black pipe" like they use in sprinkler systems, I think it's a little tougher than rigid or IMC. Good luck with your plans, though! :)

Okay cool thank you! I'll check out the black pipe

The black pipe...is that the black iron pipe that can be bought at lowes?

yes. i've built my front bumper out of the sch 40 black pipe. I wouldnt build a cage out of it, but it works well to fab a cheap bumper that can take a hit prety good.

yes. i've built my front bumper out of the sch 40 black pipe. I wouldnt build a cage out of it, but it works well to fab a cheap bumper that can take a hit prety good.

Awesome thank you

Back