99 Ford explorer driver seat removal ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford explorer driver seat removal ??

RobertH925

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer
How is this done?
I tried to search for it on Google and on here but to no luck. I read somewhere however that there is an airbag sensor attached underneath? I cant see anything plugged in under the seat. But I am just wondering if there is something i should be looking for?

I am not very vehicle savy.

I'm looking to replace the drivers seat due to it breaking on me, the back seat just leans all the way back, and currently i have a camping chair pressed against the back of the drivers seat to hold it up.

any tips, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :):thumbsup::D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you're fine just to unbolt it. The only thing that should be plugged into the seat is the harness for power seats if your vehicle is equipped with them.

No, you're fine just to unbolt it. The only thing that should be plugged into the seat is the harness for power seats if your vehicle is equipped with them.

Ever tried to take the chairs out without a battery?

Electric ones that is.

2 10mm bolts on front of tracks, 2 in the rear and a T50 for the seat belt slide bar. If you have manual seats, the only wire connector you will see is on the seat belt receiver. This connector may be just under the carpet, but can be pulled out to disconnect. If you have power seats you'll find extra electrical connections. It's easier to wait until you've removed the seat bolts then flip the seat forward to access the electrical connectors. Not all Explorers had the seat side airbags. If they do, there should be a small cloth tag on the outside seatback bolster that says "SRS".

Tip: Depending on where you live, the 4 track retaining bolts may have mud/sand and a bit of rust on the bottom threads. Clean these with a wire brush and spray a little WD40 (or similar product) on the threads before trying to remove them, or they can break.

perfect thank you guys!!!

You might not need to replace it. The back of the seat is held in place by one bolt on the inner side and two on the outer side, some times one of the lateral bolts snaps. And then it behaves as a hinge and then the backrest leans all the way.

Is the reclining mechanism seems in place, this might be the problem. You just need to unhook the upholstery of the back in the lower part of the back rest, take the seat cover up like 20 cm and a bit of the padding on the side, and the part of the structure that has the two bolts will be evident.

I took the head of the bolt out by hand, and then with a bit of wd40 and a broken bolt extractor I got the thread out. I couldn't find the exact same bolt, because it had a thicker part, but as long as the length and threads are the same size, you will be ok.

The re do the seat cover and you are done.

I seem to recall seeing a thread with a picture of such bolts. I think it was in a post about reupholstering the seats. First I went to some body shops and some upholstery shops since I didn't had the spare time to fix it. Some of them even wanted to replace the reclining mechanism and solder a lot of things. But it all seemed a bit exaggerated, so I found the time and fixed it in ten min.

Back