98 ford | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 ford

sirkenneth6373

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
I have a ? I have a 98 ford explorer I just had a coil wires and spark plugs put on it. my check engine light comes on when it starts to act sluggish and does not have a lot of power at the time. seems like it does not want to shift right. could this be the catalytic converter?

To be honest it could be a million things.

Do you know what code is associated with the check engine light? Do you have any diagnostic equipment or a way to monitor things, or at least have a friend that has some?

Without having some access to decent equipment and more information, your just going to be throwing money at a problem hoping for a fix.

I have a ? I have a 98 ford explorer I just had a coil wires and spark plugs put on it. my check engine light comes on when it starts to act sluggish and does not have a lot of power at the time. seems like it does not want to shift right. could this be the catalytic converter?

Did it behave like this prior to new spark plugs and wires? If not, I'd suggest tracing your coil wires and verify they're connected properly. Sometimes they get installed incorrectly (improper order).

yes it did act like this prior to putting the wires,plugs,and ignition coil on. that was the reason we put them on. thought this would fix the problem. and it did not fix it.

Back