CloggedCat and Melted Intake Manifold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CloggedCat and Melted Intake Manifold

hfdff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xls
Ok found that the cat on the passenger side is clogged. Does anyone know if their is a way to see if the main cat is clogged? Would I have to take it off and look at it visually? I've replaced the driver side cat already. Should I just replace the passenger side and main cat. The explorer has 188,000 miles. I put a link to the post of a little background on the explorer and a video showing the clogged cat. THX for the replies.
http://http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422094

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19300861@N07/sets/72157648491883323/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

need some opinions

OK. I was able to make me an adapter so I could put where the 02 sensors go. I placed the adapter on both LH and RH exhaust on the back 02 sensors just behind the cats (I think they call them pre-cats). both readings were well above the 2psi allowed. If you look at the vid you'll see the pressures I was getting.
Now tell me if I'm thinking correctly that if I'm getting those pressures on both sides that the main cat or muffler is clogged or both. Please help thax for the replies.

Has anyone used the Walker exhaust products

i have not personally used Walker exhaust products.
however, i have used Pacesetter cats and i was very less than pleased. the catalytic material crumbled and 2 months later i was back in the same boat. had to strangle auto parts warehouse to return the faulty catalytic converter, since then i have not used a single pacesetter product.

thanks for the reply. i'll defentily stay away from that manufacture. Anyone else.

I used Walker on my '97, they are a local employer. Factory is in Harrisonburg.

That's a good price. Rockauto is asking about 350+tax where did you order yours from. 1200 from the dealer that's not cheap but better than what it would cost for the one I needed think it was in the range of about 2000.

Amazon.ca. Walker had a 50 dollar rebate with any cat purchase back in November when I ordered mine. I didn't get it installed until last month when I put my engine back in last month.

Amazon and I too used the mail in rebates.

Purchased cat system and gasket from rockauto came out to about 489 with tax/shipping. Alot better than 2100 from the dealer. I called them today just to see if the price has changed it hasn't and they informed me that they don't sell it any more and that I would have to go to a muffler shop.
has anyone seen those type of pressures before in a restricted exhaust and melt holes in the intake manifold. From my research it doesn't seem it happens often. I figured if the exhaust even becomes somewhat restricted that it would cause this more often.

While I'm waiting for my exhaust I would like to clean the used intake I bought. I was thinking of putting it on a tub with dish soap or some degreaser and water. Would that be ok. In other suggestions.

Chiming in late here...
I used to use Walker products exclusively back in the 80's, because the local shop could get them at a reasonable price and they came with a lifetime warranty, which Walker honored a couple times for me, no questions asked. Good company back then, I expect it's the same now.
-cd

Back