2015 Ford Explorer Sport pricing confusion, unhaggle is full of sh*t? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer Sport pricing confusion, unhaggle is full of sh*t?

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
When I first saw unhaggle, I said to myself, well, this is what the dealer pay for invoice price, and you can never pay below the invoice price. Then I found this forum and people are talking about AXZD plan and it can even way below the invoice price...

Question, currently my local dealer is running employee price, I guess AZ plan. There is no cash incentive at all to combine, shall I wait until there is cash incentive and then start negotiate with dealer?

I am pretty confirmed for what I need in model, option etc, just this pricing game is a bit of make up involved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I first saw unhaggle, I said to myself, well, this is what the dealer pay for invoice price, and you can never pay below the invoice price. Then I found this forum and people are talking about AXZD plan and it can even way below the invoice price...

Question, currently my local dealer is running employee price, I guess AZ plan. There is no cash incentive at all to combine, shall I wait until there is cash incentive and then start negotiate with dealer?

I am pretty confirmed for what I need in model, option etc, just this pricing game is a bit of make up involved.

If your in Canuckastan the current Employee Pricing offer is the best discount on the Explorer I have seen, and I used it 2X. Thats the A Plan that employees get all year long. I believe Z Plan is for retired employees.

Sometimes they offer Delivery allowance on top of Employee Pricing depending on the model.

Explorer is more difficult to get programs or incentives on because they cant build them fast enough right now to supply demand.

Welcome to the Forum xyf80.:wavey:
When employee pricing come into effect, generally the interest rates go up and other incentives disappear although Costco may still be in effect.. So you would be hard pressed to come out ahead if you didn't use Ford financing. Ford isn't in business to lose money.;) My salesman told me that I should be able to get a comparable deal after Employee Pricing ends.

Peter

Also depends on what Employee pricing they are using. Dealership employee pricing (D plan) is more expensive then Ford Corp Employee pricing (A - current employee, Z - retired employee).

Being that Ford is not running employee pricing, I'm assuming it is D-plan pricing AKA - Dealership employee pricing.

X plan is right at invoice price +/- a few dollars but you save on the dealership fees. The dealership also gets a kickback from Ford for every Xplan which can range from a few hundred up to $600 from what I've personally seen. So although they don't get the money from you on the paperwork fees that one normally charges, they make it back from Ford.

If you can get it for invoice pricing, you have a great deal.

If your in Canuckastan the current Employee Pricing offer is the best discount on the Explorer I have seen, and I used it 2X. Thats the A Plan that employees get all year long. I believe Z Plan is for retired employees.

Sometimes they offer Delivery allowance on top of Employee Pricing depending on the model.

Explorer is more difficult to get programs or incentives on because they cant build them fast enough right now to supply demand.

Thank you Sgt14111 for your reply, I saw couple your reply and thread regards to Ex Sport, impressive final price you got on 2014 Sport :thumbsup:

Questions for you, on Ex Sport case,
1. there is no chance to get Delivery allowance as the supply and demand relation?
2. In your opinion for other time like X plan plus cash incentive, the overall discounted price will not be better than current A plan?
3. Any chance to knock down the freight and admin fee for current A plan?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Welcome to the Forum xyf80.:wavey:
When employee pricing come into effect, generally the interest rates go up and other incentives disappear although Costco may still be in effect.. So you would be hard pressed to come out ahead if you used Ford financing. Ford isn't in business to lose money.;) My salesman told me that I should be able to get a comparable deal after Employee Pricing ends.

Peter

Hi Peter, in another word, you think the A plan is best deal the whole time regardless other time plan+ incentive.

Also depends on what Employee pricing they are using. Dealership employee pricing (D plan) is more expensive then Ford Corp Employee pricing (A - current employee, Z - retired employee).

Being that Ford is not running employee pricing, I'm assuming it is D-plan pricing AKA - Dealership employee pricing.

X plan is right at invoice price +/- a few dollars but you save on the dealership fees. The dealership also gets a kickback from Ford for every Xplan which can range from a few hundred up to $600 from what I've personally seen. So although they don't get the money from you on the paperwork fees that one normally charges, they make it back from Ford.

If you can get it for invoice pricing, you have a great deal.

Thanks for explaining the difference of all those plans. For what my local ford dealer offered with employee price, it is already lower than the invoice pricing.

Hi Peter, in another word, you think the A plan is best deal the whole time regardless other time plan+ incentive.
I mis-stated about the financing. I meant to say that with Employee Pricing you likely would be hard pressed to find a much better deal if you didn't use Ford Financing. This is assuming that Ford does raise their interest rate and cancels incentives for this promotion and you can find better financing elsewhere. I personally don't get too wrapped up in all these incentives/deals when looking for a vehicle. I negotiate a price that I am happy with and go from there. BTW, my last 6 vehicles have all be leased as my next one will be.

Peter

Thanks for explaining the difference of all those plans. For what my local ford dealer offered with employee price, it is already lower than the invoice pricing.

D plan is going to be invoice minus the holdback that the dealer gets from Ford. Holdback is roughly 3% of MSRP so D-plan should be Invoice - (MSRP * .03) or there about.

I believe with Dplan, Ford only allows them to charge a set admin fee ($125 if I'm not mistaken) however that is if it is a true Dplan. If you are not an employee of the Dealership, they can't give you the true Dplan but they can still give you the invoice minus their holdback. By doing this, they do not get the kickback from Ford for a Dplan sale and they are also not required to follow the Dplan rules because it is not a true Dplan sale.

All they are doing is saying "This is what the vehicle costs us so we will sell it to you for that". They will make money on the admin/paperwork fees and rightfully should. Why would they sell a vehicle they are not going to make a penny on??

Lastly, the fuel charge is a charge the dealer gets hit with.. Do you want a full tank or empty tank? Don't complain about a fuel charge, they fill your vehicle up with fuel, right? I do not believe AXDZ plans get charged the advertising fee either that the dealer gets charged (could be mistaken on this one). If true, you will still be hit with the adv fee as Ford charges the dealer this fee for each vehicle. Again, if they are going to sell it to you at cost, they are going to pass along the fees Ford charges them.

With a true Dplan, you are also eligible for all advertised rebates. Make sure since this isn't a true Dplan that the price they give you as Dplan also has the rebates on top of that. Don't want them to advertise Dplan pricing and have it include the rebates in that price.

blwnsmoke, I'm not sure if we have these plans here in Canada. I never heard them referred to except on this Forum.

Peter

Thank you Sgt14111 for your reply, I saw couple your reply and thread regards to Ex Sport, impressive final price you got on 2014 Sport :thumbsup:

Questions for you, on Ex Sport case,
1. there is no chance to get Delivery allowance as the supply and demand relation?
2. In your opinion for other time like X plan plus cash incentive, the overall discounted price will not be better than current A plan?
3. Any chance to knock down the freight and admin fee for current A plan?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1. Delivery Allowance is a program set by Ford Finance, my understanding is this is non negotiable

2. I have been told by others that you can stack enough incentives and programs on top of X plan to beat A Plan but I have never seen this myself or done that. My deal was A plan plus Costco.

3. Freight and Admin Fee are non negotiable as well, these are preset by Ford. I have never seen these dealt away but maybe others can comment. As others explained these are preset charges for each program.

Are you guys saying you can't use A plan with incentives? I got mine at A plan plus all incentives available in December.

Are you guys saying you can't use A plan with incentives? I got mine at A plan plus all incentives available in December.

That is my initial question, seem it is possible then? And there is also A plan in Dec not only in summer right?

That is my initial question, seem it is possible then? And there is also A plan in Dec not only in summer right?

A plan is year round for employees and relatives of the employee. I've used A plan and all available incentives on every new Ford I've bought, most recently on my Explorer in December 2013.

D plan is going to be invoice minus the holdback that the dealer gets from Ford. Holdback is roughly 3% of MSRP so D-plan should be Invoice - (MSRP * .03) or there about.

I believe with Dplan, Ford only allows them to charge a set admin fee ($125 if I'm not mistaken) however that is if it is a true Dplan. If you are not an employee of the Dealership, they can't give you the true Dplan but they can still give you the invoice minus their holdback. By doing this, they do not get the kickback from Ford for a Dplan sale and they are also not required to follow the Dplan rules because it is not a true Dplan sale.

All they are doing is saying "This is what the vehicle costs us so we will sell it to you for that". They will make money on the admin/paperwork fees and rightfully should. Why would they sell a vehicle they are not going to make a penny on??

Lastly, the fuel charge is a charge the dealer gets hit with.. Do you want a full tank or empty tank? Don't complain about a fuel charge, they fill your vehicle up with fuel, right? I do not believe AXDZ plans get charged the advertising fee either that the dealer gets charged (could be mistaken on this one). If true, you will still be hit with the adv fee as Ford charges the dealer this fee for each vehicle. Again, if they are going to sell it to you at cost, they are going to pass along the fees Ford charges them.

With a true Dplan, you are also eligible for all advertised rebates. Make sure since this isn't a true Dplan that the price they give you as Dplan also has the rebates on top of that. Don't want them to advertise Dplan pricing and have it include the rebates in that price.

I never heard this one in canada either..

I am still curious if I got a good deal or not(I am happy with it so I guess that makes it good). I was eligible for X plan, MSRP on X plan site was $40,100. X plan price was $37,700. I was offered $33,600 if financed through Ford or $34,100 if leased through Ford all with no trade. I took the deal and drove a couple of hours from home to pick up. I did get a $1000 rebate for selling a competitors leased truck within 30 days prior to purchase and they had a $1000 factory rebate also. it came out to where I got like 15.3% off MSRP and like 19% off final window( dealer add on junk roof rack cross bars, rust prevention, pin stripe, etc.... BS) Good or not?

blwnsmoke, I'm not sure if we have these plans here in Canada. I never heard them referred to except on this Forum.

Peter

Just an FYI, after this thread got revived, I checked into it at Fordpartner.com which is the Xplan website. I was able to log in via my Partner Code under the Canada option so it is available in Canada.

Reading through the details once logged in, it seems Xplan is 4% above A plan which is the true dealer cost (or there abouts). You can't get better then A or Z plan so being 4% above puts you at close to dealer's invoice (taking the holdback out of the picture).

I was extended a price that was a fair bit lower than the Employee Pricing on an XLT, so it can be had.

How about in % of msrp?
I got 16% off of my 2014 xlt.
Used Truecar.com, and negotiated from there, cash deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chiming in even though this is old...

Got my '14 Sport for even less than A/Z. Invoice was $46,700, A/Z was $44,700, and I paid $43,700. My offer was X plan - $1500 holdback - rebates and they accepted it. Sticker was $49,700. Granted it was a '14 on the showroom floor in August as the '15's were coming out, but it was still a deal below invoice!

Back