1996 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD (front suspension) Out with the old in with the NEW!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD (front suspension) Out with the old in with the NEW!!

Alaskakid87

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Xploder XLT 5.0 AWD
So today I made the leap in upgrading my front end suspension on the passenger side I replaced the 2 piece upper balljoint to the 1 piece. Everything from start to finish really went well and I am impressed with the moog design of the K80068 upper balljoint. I also replaced the shock and outer tie rod, previously replaced the lower ball joint when I had to replace the Wheel Bearing and also replaced the rotors and pads previously..

Tomorrow my father and I will tear into the driver side, All being replaced, Wheel bearing, shock, outer tie rod, lower ball joint and upper ball joint with all new caster camber bolts, this side already has a new rotor and pads..

Then later this week I will be removing the rear shocks and installing the monroe air shocks to help with the known "saggy bottom" problem and to tow a small trailer later this year. For this installation I will try and post some pics just so everyone can see the difference between AAL and Air Shocks.

Personally I am going to do the MA776 monroe air shocks which I got in last week and will install later this spring the Hellwig 815 LP-15 Helper springs to help me with the towing end of my Explorer.. I would replace the leafs all together seeings how they frown just a little but in Alaska with shipping and all they want almost $800 for both sides so I will live with these upgrades until my move later this year is complete to SC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FullSizeRender1_zps9r4vu2ki.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsqcwdt6bj.jpg

Looks good.

Keep up the progress

On rear I would go with the same KYB Gas-A-Just. They help a little with the sag, but they are much better than any coilover Monroe...

Did you install the cams needed for the alignment ??

Yup I bought the kit to replace both passenger and driver mine will definitely need an alignment even more now, Before I decided to replace everything my explorer had really bad camber problems I believe its camber both front tires were angled in at the tops..

On rear I would go with the same KYB Gas-A-Just. They help a little with the sag, but they are much better than any coilover Monroe...

These monroes that I bought are shocks with built in air bags I just have to install them like a regular shock and run the air lines provided in the kit to the rear to make filling them with a shrader valve excuse my spelling haha

Monotubes have an air spring filled with nitrogen at 250-350psi.
That's why IMO the MonoMax would be better than what you plan... but hey, that's just me :)

Well I think I found out why I have the drivetrain whine coming from the front.... I have a bad driverside axle seal.... :(

DB59BD53-2941-40AA-868A-872BB6C8BB1B_zpseea2z4cu.jpg

Gonna locate the seal tomorrow and replace it :)

0F35BF83-55BB-4C01-A9E7-15A4A7586241_zpsyr3pesre.jpg

And here is the updated photo for the whole driverside suspension

B20E02FF-BE82-4B76-B3AA-D5892A5B4F3F_zps2q9z7jwr.jpg

Back