Electrical Failure | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Failure

NHTSB were sent the black box, and their determoination was the accident was determined to have no bearing on the electrical failure issue. Fascinating 28 page printout of what the black box records. The level of detail in the 5 seconds prior to impact is amazing. The driver (not me) hit the accelerator instead of the brakes (as the black box indicated) and torque steer confused the driver, compounded by the easy effort of the EPAS. The electrical failures were before the accident, and continue after repairs effected. why the insurance did not write off the vehicle, given the final cost of the repairs, baffles me. Then this whole issue would have gone away.

Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Honestly, if I were you, I would probably take the lemon law approach. I know it's too pricey for you, but I'd try and work it out somehow. To be honest, if the dealer has no clue and if Ford has no clue at this point then you are just hoping to get lucky and have the dealer or Ford find a fix and before your warranty expires. I cannot imagine you have any trust in the vehicle anymore.

You also might want to talk to a lawyer in the virgin islands who is familiar with warranty law because its my understanding that in many states, Ford has to repair a defect UNDER WARRANTY even if the warranty has expired IF the problem was reported PRIOR to the warranty expiring. For example: http://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/Cars/MNCarLaws/MNCarLaws_1.asp#Minnesota's (see the section under Manufacturer's duty to repair).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...this seems far out... but you never know...
...and I have personally seen rats jump up and stay up there? they sure didnt come down, sit in the undercarriage? of vehicles in a specific place I used to park (in the city)...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults
Date Complaint Filed: 01/21/2014
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Date of Incident: 01/16/2014
NHTSA ID Number: 10560846
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents

Crash:No
Fire:No
Number of Injuries:0
Number of Deaths:0

Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 1FM5K8D87DG...
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT A OWNS A 2013 FORD EXPLORER. THE CONTACT STATED THAT RODENTS WERE DESTROYING THE WIRES UNDER THE HOOD. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO A DEALER WHO STATED THAT THE WIRE INSTALLATION WAS MADE FROM SOY BEANS, WHICH WAS ATTRACTING THE RODENTS. THE VEHICLE WAS REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT MADE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 10,000.

You might look into an odb2 data logger. Looks like they aren't too expensive and would log everything. My guess is that when your power goes out any codes are wiped. The logger would preserve them. Just a thought.

Back to this issue... Three times in the past ten days the vehicle has quit while driving. Twice it restarted after a 10- 20 minute wait. One time it was three hours before it suddenely came alive again. Each time it was taken to the dealer, and again, they can find nothing wrong. The reliabilty issue is becoming a concern. If I trade the vehicle in, then I would believe the dealer cannot in good conscience sell it again, especially if I file a report to Carfax or similar. I would like to hear from one of the Ford reps that monitor this site.

To make sure that Crystal gets the message I would not wait to see if she happens to see your post but send her a PM so you can be certain she gets it.
I don't think not being able to diagnose the issue can be entirely put on the dealer. If it is an intermittent electrical problem, they can be very difficult to track down. From what you posted, it seems that the problem is intermittent and tends to 'fix' itself. Those are the worse issues to pinpoint. I would think it could be caused by an electrical problem or a sensor going bad. Good luck.

Peter

...I would like to hear from one of the Ford reps that monitor this site.

Hi tropicvi,

Since you're in the Virgin Islands, your best bet will be to call Ford Virgin Islands at 1-800-841-3673; they'll do all they can to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi tropicvi,

Since you're in the Virgin Islands, your best bet will be to call Ford Virgin Islands at 1-800-841-3673; they'll do all they can to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thank. I'll try that and see if that helps.

Back