• Register Today It's free!

Heat Not Working

djleatherb15

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I have a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT. The current issue is that the heater doesn't work. All of the vents blow out air but it is not warm. I let the vehicle get to operating temperature and felt the hoses that go to the firewall and they were both warm. The top one was warmer then the bottom one what could this mean? My dad replaced the heater core a few years ago, so I don't think that it is that. Any help or input would be great thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you feel resistance in the temperature blend slider when you change it from hot to cold, or cold to hot?

I would guess that your blend door actuator gear is broken. It seems to be a common problem. Remove the blend door actuator and pop the cover off. Take a look at the small gear, chances are its missing some teeth. I went to a junkyard and pulled out a gear to replace mine with for free. You can always replace the whole actuator but youre looking at no less than $30 for a dorman or $50 for an oem one.

'94 and older are cable driven. pull the center bezel, pull the control panel, make sure the back side of the slider is not broke, follow the cable back to the heater case, while working the slider look to see if the cable is not broke, if not i belive the heater case has to come out to replace the blend door.

I think the don has you on the right track. I don't know why a ranger would be different, but its easy on the explorer. You simply pull out the glove box, and behind it is something I don't know the name of. Hopefully someone will know the proper name. Its just a kind of pillar thing that rotates, and is connected to the controls by a cable. Just give the thing a shot of wd-40 and a quick spin and the thing should pop back. They just freeze up from time to time.

Thanks for all the replies, I will check what all of you said and get back to you all .

replace the heater valve

Back