• Register Today It's free!

New things to come...

Rckslick333

Reaction score
City, State
Kittery, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer nbx 4.6
Okay so for a couple years ive been wanting to do some things to my explorer. I've been doing the regular maintence stuff but finally got a deep enough pocket to do some extras. Heres what to come:

4 265 70 17 bf Goodrich T/A K0
4 struts all around
sway bar links
Upper control arms
Rusted exhaust parts.

Heres how it all started to play out... For my inspection last may, the inspector should have failed me for a leaking left rear strut. So I figured hell, since my left is blown my other ones aren't probably too far away so I decided to buy all four. Then I remembered my ball joints being shot as well. Then I decided to do the full upper control arms. Reguarding the swaybar links, one broke a couple months ago and I wont pass inspection with out those so minus well throw those into the picture. Exhaust parts to replace the tail pipe that fell off. From the muffler back basically. Now as I got into depth thought about this, I remembered a coil spacer lift so while I have the struts off, I minus well throw the spacers on and actually commit to a lift. Then I remembered that it would look awful with little tires so minus well get those.

All in all, parts came to 462 after my discount at pepboys, the tires came to 732 from 1031 with the discount and im ordering the lift next Thursday.

Heres the link to the lift...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxda-1020...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3aa24a938d&vxp=mtr

Questions, comments, concerns? Please list them!!

20150224_101029.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and cant forget about the 70$ mail in rebate

Wow, hope you post some more photos, I would like to see more.

I will! I'm ordering the lift on the 5th. Probably install in about a month. Im excited haha. Im considering doing a 3 inch body lift. I'm about to make a post on it.

I will! I'm ordering the lift on the 5th. Probably install in about a month. Im excited haha. Im considering doing a 3 inch body lift. I'm about to make a post on it.

Got your PM. Looks like a good plan...Body lift on top of the spacer lift will look really nice. CV angles won't be extreme, and you should be able to avoid balljoint issues for a while with the new control arms. Eventually you're going to wear out the new balljoints and I would recommend you get a set of the BTF uniball upper control arms. They won't fail like the OEM type ball joints: http://www.btf-fab.com/explorer.html#

That's $575 not $5.75 for the arms lol.

Also plan to get a 4 wheel alignment right after you install the spacer lift. When you get the BTF arms and install them, plan on getting a front alignment.

Lastly, is your truck 4 wheel drive? if so, I would highly highly recommend getting an additional tire of the same brand, size and condition as your new ones and keeping it as a spare. If you get a flat tire and put the stock spare on you can cause damage to your driveline (unless you have done the brown wire mod and disable the auto 4x4 when running the spare). When using larger tires with a matching spare, you should include the spare in your tire rotation every 7000 miles. The size you bought will fit in the existing spare tire area.

Thank you for the awesome reply! I'll get the btf control arms in a couple months. Starting a new job soon that I'll make bank at so I'll get them then. Are they just extended ones? From all of what you've seen on here, I've seen quite a bit too, what complications can I run into other than the usual stuck bolt here and there

They are a little longer but the main thing is that they use a heim or uniball joint instead of a ball and socket joint. Way stronger and won't come apart when it does start to wear out.

No real complications with the uppers. Just need to cut your stock ones up so you can keep the cross bar pieces and assemble the BTF arms onto them.

Thank you for the awesome reply! I'll get the btf control arms in a couple months. Starting a new job soon that I'll make bank at so I'll get them then. Are they just extended ones? From all of what you've seen on here, I've seen quite a bit too, what complications can I run into other than the usual stuck bolt here and there

Lastly, is your truck 4 wheel drive? if so, I would highly highly recommend getting an additional tire of the same brand, size and condition as your new ones and keeping it as a spare. If you get a flat tire and put the stock spare on you can cause damage to your driveline (unless you have done the brown wire mod and disable the auto 4x4 when running the spare). When using larger tires with a matching spare, you should include the spare in your tire rotation every 7000 miles. The size you bought will fit in the existing spare tire area.

Yes it is 4 wheel drive, I will definitely take this into consideration. Probably get a 5th in a couple weeks when more money starts coming in. Thanks for the input on this as well. First car I've ever built so this should be interesting. I just wish I knew someone on this forum who lived around me so I could get a hand. I'd throw in a 30 rack for them haha. I have a buddy that actually bought the 102020 and has yet to install it. I told him of the precautions hes going to have to take (upper control arms) and now hes contemplating doing it so I might be able to get it off of him for 250 then on ebay for 275. I'll keep poking at him about it. Either way, I'm purchasing it next Thursday and maybe the pa 883 if the funds are there. I'll have to calculate that when I cross that road. I have not decided if I wanted to do everything at once or do it in stages. Probably take a weekend off from work and do it then.

Yes it is 4 wheel drive, I will definitely take this into consideration. Probably get a 5th in a couple weeks when more money starts coming in. Thanks for the input on this as well. First car I've ever built so this should be interesting. I just wish I knew someone on this forum who lived around me so I could get a hand. I'd throw in a 30 rack for them haha. I have a buddy that actually bought the 102020 and has yet to install it. I told him of the precautions hes going to have to take (upper control arms) and now hes contemplating doing it so I might be able to get it off of him for 250 then on ebay for 275. I'll keep poking at him about it. Either way, I'm purchasing it next Thursday and maybe the pa 883 if the funds are there. I'll have to calculate that when I cross that road. I have not decided if I wanted to do everything at once or do it in stages. Probably take a weekend off from work and do it then.

the body lift is definitely the harder job since it's not totally plug and play but it will allow you to run the larger tires easily in the meantime. Also it gives you more working room for the spacer and strut install, makes fitting the larger spare easier, and obviously no alignment is required afterwards. If I still had a 3rd gen and could only do one lift, the 3" body lift would be it.

the body lift is definitely the harder job since it's not totally plug and play but it will allow you to run the larger tires easily in the meantime. Also it gives you more working room for the spacer and strut install, makes fitting the larger spare easier, and obviously no alignment is required afterwards. If I still had a 3rd gen and could only do one lift, the 3" body lift would be it.

do you think I'd clear 285 70 17? With just the suspension for now then the body to come later? I can get the 285s for 40 more dollars.

Do you know what gearing you have? Something to keep in mind before going too big.

do you think I'd clear 285 70 17? With just the suspension for now then the body to come later? I can get the 285s for 40 more dollars.

Not sure on the clearance part. I'm thinking you're going to have some issues with the fronts though. Also a 285 will most likely not fit into the spare tire area, body lift or not.

fr0stm0nkey has a good point on axle gearing. 265s slow you up a fair bit with only 3.55 gears and the 4.0 v-6. 3.73's are a bit better. With 265's and the 4.0 v-6, 4.10 gears are as good as 3.73's on stock tires.

Not sure on the clearance part. I'm thinking you're going to have some issues with the fronts though. Also a 285 will most likely not fit into the spare tire area, body lift or not.

fr0stm0nkey has a good point on axle gearing. 265s slow you up a fair bit with only 3.55 gears and the 4.0 v-6. 3.73's are a bit better. With 265's and the 4.0 v-6, 4.10 gears are as good as 3.73's on stock tires.

never really thought about that. Not Sure What The Gears are. Alright I do have the 4.6. I'm so glad you guys know more than me haha

never really thought about that. Not Sure What The Gears are. Alright I do have the 4.6. I'm so glad you guys know more than me haha

Having the v8 helps a lot. Gear ratio for your truck can be found on the tag on the edge of your drivers door, it's listed as Axle Code

Having the v8 helps a lot. Gear ratio for your truck can be found on the tag on the edge of your drivers door, it's listed as Axle Code

it says

wb 114
brk 4
R 1
Axle D4
Tr v
Spr pc
3u51a 505

if that makes any sense?

I believe that's a 3.73 limited slip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Safe for the 285 70 17s?

Yeah you're good for 285s. Still got to find a place to put your spare. I would just run the 265s you've already got though....since you know those will clear even with just a spacer or a body lift. I'm not 100% but pretty sure that you can't run 285s on stock wheels without wheel spacers, or else you'll need to run aftermarket wheels. I think the issue is that the tire will rub on the spindle. Put the savings towards those BTF upper control arms.

Back