New things to come... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New things to come...

Yeah you're good for 285s. Still got to find a place to put your spare. I would just run the 265s you've already got though....since you know those will clear even with just a spacer or a body lift. I'm not 100% but pretty sure that you can't run 285s on stock wheels without wheel spacers, or else you'll need to run aftermarket wheels. I think the issue is that the tire will rub on the spindle. Put the savings towards those BTF upper control arms.

Alright I'll just sit with the 265s. My only concern is that when I go up a total of 5.25 with the body lift and the coil spacer lift if it will look dumb with 265s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's my old truck with that same lift height and 265's:

Untitled-1.jpg

Looks ok to me, but opinions vary

Here's my old truck with that same lift height and 265's:

Untitled-1.jpg

Looks ok to me, but opinions vary

Looks good to me. Thanks for sharing :). Did you make the running boards? They look sweet!

Can you double stack spacers?

Can you double stack spacers?

In theory, yes. But don't. In my opinion more isn't better when it comes to lift spacers. I know plenty of people run the 2.25" ones from BTF in front but I personally think the disadvantages of even that size far outweigh the advantages. Stay with the size that Traxxda makes (about 1.5") and you'll be all right.

So I've decided to break this down into three separate stages, 1 (which I did tonight) rear struts with the 102020 blocks. Hit a couple snags when I striped the nut on a sway bar link. Good thing my work (pepboys) had them in stock. My brother-in-law brought something very interesting to my attention while we were there. He was my ride haha. He mentioned to me that I should get aftermarket/longer sway bar links to compensate for the lift so I still have a normal amount of flex and its not so tight. About a year ago we opened up this section called speed shop. They have pretty much every after market part you can get for any vehicle. I recalled us having some sway bar links in there so I went over to look and found them. They were 20 dollars for the pair. They're about a half inch longer than the stock ones and cheaper. The stock ones would have cost me roughly 28 dollars where the aftermarket ones only ran me 15.99 after my discount. Yay me. And thank you sawzall.

Stage 2, which commences Saturday judging that the weather stays nice, is front swaybar links seeing how im missing one as it is, upper control arms and the struts with the front portion of the lift.

I'm not going to put the bfg's on yet because I don't have the money to align it yet so I don't want to mess those up. My current fuzions are chopped already due to one of my struts being blown out and the other ones probably tired so Ill keep chopping those for the next couple weeks until I can throw these on.

Stage 3 (TBD) is the body lift. I've never done one of these before, it seems semi complicated. I've read through the forums and it seems easy enough. Although, 26 pages of everyone having different issues is a little annoying. If anyone has any insight or issues that they ran in with doing this please let me know. Also, advice would be fantastic and much appreciated.

To wrap up my night, couple beers then bed.

Stage 2 tomorrow :). Now it won't look like a hotrod. Back end up front down.

If you are getting BTF arms. Get their spacers as well and you can probably get a better deal. I read about BTF making a packaged deal with a discount. Have you seen the quality of BTF spacers? You need to research here about it. They will make any size spacer you like. I didn't pay a penny over 250 for mine, and I would have paid more.

If you are getting BTF arms. Get their spacers as well and you can probably get a better deal. I read about BTF making a packaged deal with a discount. Have you seen the quality of BTF spacers? You need to research here about it. They will make any size spacer you like. I didn't pay a penny over 250 for mine, and I would have paid more.

They won't make "any size" but yeah, if you're getting the UCA's you should get spacers.

The upper control arms im getting in a couple months. The rear spacers are on, and only 1 front spacer Is on. Hit a hiccup today.

The lower strut bolt wouldn't break free, at all. I tried a hammer, I tried heat, I tried a bigger hammer. Nothing would break this thing free. Finally after dicking around with it for about 2 hours I cut the strut off of it, took the whole knuckle off and in doing so I damaged the lower ball joint, and took the whole lower control arm to my work. There I used oxygen/acediline, cut the bolt off, then used my air hammer to actually get the piece out. After buying the new lower ball joint, I installed that, the new upper control arm, the strut, the cv axle back in, the new sway bar link im finally done with that one side.

Its about 35 degrees outside and my ass is wet because I don't have a garage but other than that, it all successfully went back together. I'm going snowmobiling tomorrow then starting the other side tomorrow afternoon. Ill finish it Monday afternoon after work then go get an alignment Tuesday afternoon. Then when I have more money in 2 weeks i'll throw the bfgs on and do the body lift in the spring.

I'll keep everyone updated :). Shower, beer, pizza time.

Aft

Back