*Please Read* Heat Promblem Still Not Fixed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*Please Read* Heat Promblem Still Not Fixed?

djleatherb15

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone, so today was a busy day. I changed the spark plugs and wires on the Explorer, it runs a lot better now. Finally! But the other problem I was trying to address was how come I have no heat. I took the dashboard apart and got access to the heater core. I let the truck warm up and it got a little warm so I took it out and flushed it and it gets a lot hotter, so I don't think that is the problem. I then checked to make sure all the linkage and everything was together and it is all the vents open and close, so thats good. I also flushed the coolant. I then took it out for a drive and still no heat. So i am stuck and have no idea what the problem is. If anyone has an idea of what it could be please let me know. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are both heater core hoses hot? Did you check the blend door? Some models have a heater control valve. I'm not sure if your year has one but it might.

Yes they are both hot. The blend door was working and my model does not have a heater control valve.

pull the blower motor out reach inside and check to see if the A/C condenser in not plugged with leaves and dirt.

make sure you properly bleed your cooling system. Cap off, heat on, fan off, rev it about 2500 rpm and keep the coolant full. After it has fully warmed up, it should be bled.

You said there is no heat but you didn't say if your getting any air. Is the fan blowing air are you getting any air coming out the vents

Try replacing the heater valve

^^^^no heater valve in a '92^^^^

As mentioned above, the '92 has no valve since they still used R12 in the A/C. If both hoses are hot it's likely the coolant is circulating in and out of the heater core, so the issue has to be no air flow for whatever reason. Taking the rear cover from inside the car should allow you to verify a hot heater core and might allow you to determine where/how the air is being blocked. I have a similar issue - warm but not hot air - and that's my plan.

Back