• Register Today It's free!

Finally, I have an Explorer!

JDLCA

Reaction score
City, State
La Puente, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all, posted about a month or so ago asking for information about the first generation Explorers as I was looking to buy one in a few months. Well I ended up getting it sooner :D Sold my 91 Mercedes 300E and purchased a 1993 XLT 4x4.

In my first thread asking for info I was looking for a manual transmission and manual transfer case... Well, kinda shifted away from that and got an automatic trans with push button 4x4 :( But it's all good, the rest of the car is really clean and I'm pretty happy. Found her on Craigslist near San Francisco and flew up from Los Angeles, picked her up and drove her back down and she did great! :) She's got 145,000 miles and has had a lot of work done to her the past two years, one of which having the heads replaced so I'm hoping I won't have to worry about those for awhile. It's nice being a little off the ground compared to being so low in the Mercedes and I get to use regular gas!! for the first time ever since I've been driving I can finally use regular, it's pretty sweet. I'm really looking forward to taking her off road to try out the 4x4 :)

My only issue is at idle I have a bit of a surge, I'll be at a stop light and on the brakes and while surging at idle it'll want to jerk forward, but only when I'm at a stop and idling. If I could fix that, she'd be perfect, just some front shocks and new tires and be 100% :thumbsup: Very happy and something I'd thought I'd never say... Don't miss my Mercedes at all! :eek:

IMG_3670_zps4ilbm35c.png

IMG_3652_zpsvlnr1iwx.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsafu7fike.jpg

IMG_3653_zpsjyofrunn.jpg

IMG_3654_zpsdhq1byzq.jpg

IMG_3655_zps4m8p8gil.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably have a vacuum leak. I had a 1992 XLT and it used to surge RPMs when I was stopped. It ended up being a vacuum leak I opened my hood and found the "vaccuum tree" and found a black rubber cap had come off. When I put my finger over it to stop the leak the RPMs settled down.

Nice find. It looks really clean. The interior is mint.

There's lots of articles on fixing the weak links.

The automatic hubs, and transfer case shift motor are the two in my book. The auto transmission can be made to last.

Very nice! It looks great! With proper care the automatic transmission will last a while. My disclaimer is that it isn't great for offroad use. If you plan on doing more than regular driving, be mindful of it and add an extra filter/cooler (there is a write up here on that somewhere). Oh, don't deviate from the type of fluid stamped on the dipstick. Transmissions are touchy things to begin with. :)

Those are my bits of advice! Great truck, glad you like it!

Easiest way to keep the A4LD in good shape is keeping it cool, and keeping fresh fluid in it. An external filter is a good idea too, but I never had on. One explorer in our family has 220,000 mile on the original tranny, no rebuilds. All we ever did was drive it properly, and change fluid every 30k miles or so.

Thanks for all the replies guys, the transmission is something I definitely want to stay on top of, going to look into an external cooler for it while I'm still here in Southern California, I bought this Explorer to take up with me to Alaska which another member said just being there will make the transmission last longer haha I think in a few weeks I'm going to have the fluid changed, and then maybe do some probing for the surging, which I'm hoping is a simple vacuum leak.

The center console armrest just broke yesterday :( The plastic was cracking already but I lifted it up to get something out of the compartment under and it snapped off. I don't see a way to swap out the arm pad and I couldn't find one on ebay that was the vinyl/leather so I think I might have to go to Ford..

Bummer to hear about the 4x4 not being that great :( For like dirt trails and sand and stuff it should be cool right? Was wanting to take it to the desert, no rock climbing or anything with it but sand most likely. My only issue is I wish there was a buzzer that sounded when you're getting out and you've left your lights on, I've walked away twice leaving my lights on haha

My only issue is I wish there was a buzzer that sounded when you're getting out and you've left your lights on, I've walked away twice leaving my lights on haha

There is a lights on warning.

Look for a bad fuse would be my first guess. It is a green box like device under / behind the dash in the middle just south of the heat/ ac controls.

I have never seen one of these go bad, so it may be unplugged or a bad fuse.

Nice ride man. I think you wil like her- remember,all older trucks have their foibles- these trucks are fundamentally sound,and wear well, as long as you keep up with the maint., and don't go foolish with them.

Bummer to hear about the 4x4 not being that great :( For like dirt trails and sand and stuff it should be cool right? Was wanting to take it to the desert, no rock climbing or anything with it but sand most likely. My only issue is I wish there was a buzzer that sounded when you're getting out and you've left your lights on, I've walked away twice leaving my lights on haha

The 4x4 is pretty solid in my opinion. The automatic hubs suck but they're easily replaced and then you never have to touch them again. Wearable things like u-joints and spindle bearings should be checked. The shift motor on the transfer case isn't horrible either, yes, it's not as reliable as the manual lever style but it's a simple system that can be easily diagnosed and fixed cheaply.

Heavy off-roaders tend to snap axles before anything else in the 4x4 system, that should tell you how strong everything else is.

4x4 in these never gave me issues. Just keep the transmission cool (not that those mild conditions should strain it much). It should be ok in the sand, mud and snow.

The center console armrest just broke yesterday :( The plastic was cracking already but I lifted it up to get something out of the compartment under and it snapped off. I don't see a way to swap out the arm pad and I couldn't find one on ebay that was the vinyl/leather so I think I might have to go to Ford..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383131

I made a simple write up on fixing the armrest. The whole hinge and bracket come out with 4 8?mm bolts on the center console, there are oval covers on the sides hidden by the seats but you take that off and you can get at the bolts, then just do what I did in the write up, but use screws (I didn't and I regret it)

Really nice looking truck btw! I suggest investing in a set of manual 4wd hubs when ypou have the cash/opportunity to buy them, even used. Its a very easy swap.

Back