Hub Service Worth it??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hub Service Worth it???

jimbo231

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I am going to get new tires tomorrow and wondered if the hub service is necessary for $2.50 a wheel? I guess they grind the the hub and rim surface flat to get better contact.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

never heard of a "hub service". you want the mating surface of the rotor and wheel to be free of dirt and rust. I've always just used a wire brush. still $10 isn't a big deal I guess.

I have never heard of that either, and I have been to lots of different tire places since 1987.

I don't think I would want someone "grinding" away at the hub area, or on any wheel. A little over ambitious grinding into a wheel stud might mean failure in the future. A little over ambitious grinding into a wheel might mean vibration issues in the future.

On my Paseo, during my swap to winter rollers, and back to summer rollers, I just wire brush the hub face, and use steel wool on the wheel mounting surface, to get rid of some minor rust buildup.

Pass on that.

Thanks ya I didnt really hear of that before either and your right about the stud.

Back