help full width d44 questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help full width d44 questions

im in the process of doing a sas one my 93 explorer on a budget.. my issue is im using the stock 78-79 radius arms and mounts and i dont know if i need to space out the mounts or what. i already have 7* wedges installed and i have the 5.5 wh coils and and adjustable trac bar. just kinda stuck on that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive been through those im trying to utilize the stock ra and stay on a budget. and im also using the 78-79 full width axle. i have the ra mounts bolted up and when i tried bolts the ra to them they were probably 1.5" outside the mounts. so i used the comealong to pull the ra ends closer so the can go in the mounts.

If you're wanting to run a full width axle and not space the radius arm brackets out from the frame, it has been done before, but I can't remember who it was. Someone from Colorado I think. Maybe offroader_69_me? Maybe others did it too.
I liked that idea enough that I was going to do the same thing back when I almost went SAS.

i can space them i work in a steel shop so i can get any type of steel i need. im going to have to fab up the coil buckets cause i cant find any. i just wanna do this as cheap and as smart as i can. the plan is get it done soon so i can take it to oc for cruise week in may.

sweet thank you for that ill get them ordered up tomorrow. i ended up getting an adjustable trac bar for an early bronco will that work for being full width

Try reading my SAS build. I used the factory mounts with custom arms, but swapped the mounts side to side and moded them a bit.

With the 78-79 axle, you're pretty much going to have to space the frame mounts out. 77-older axle you could cut the wedges off the axle- move them in- weld them back on.

Would you happen to know by how much like maybe 1-1.5"

I really dont know, but id say more like 2-3" on either side.

I came up with 2 7/16" per side by comparing a ranger first gen frame at the coil buckets with a 78 bronco at the cool buckets it seems like someone makes pre spaced
Buckets? Duff or a someone? I am moving my mounts in.

Alright will the be the same for the ra mounts 2-7/16" cause I'll probably just grab some
2-1/2 square tube and space it with that

Seems like logical reasoning to me. There Might be a mount that's wider . I don't know. There is some room for error with both the coil mounts and the radius arm mounts.

Alright I'll give it a go tomorrow after work. Thanks for your input

Back