Questions from a Wannabe | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions from a Wannabe

First of all, let me say THANK YOU to all of you for the great advice and suggestions! So glad I found this forum - such a helpful community!

I did indeed go and test drive a sport, and found the driving experience to be very solid. The truck felt aggressive and responsive when pushed, albeit with a fair bit of torque steer if accelerating around a corner. But it wasn't harsh at all, and I didn't come away feeling it would be unpleasant on gravel roads.

I appreciate the comments about 20" wheels and tires, and after some thought about where I REALLY drive most often, I figure the larger wheels shouldn't be a problem, since the mix is currently 95% pavement, 5% gravel. Once we have the Explorer though, I expect that'll change to 80/20 as we'll be heading into the mountains more often! Since it's unlikely to be anything rougher than gravel/mud or packed sand, I gather from comments that the 20's should be fine.

So, after reading lots of comments here, test driving some more, and thinking about where we currently drive, I've decided to take the plunge! Ordered a 2014 Sport in Ingot Silver last weekend, with towing and moonroof (hope it won't leak!). Now the agonizing wait for build and delivery! Guess it's time to start posting in the Order Status forum...

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions, and I think now it's time to start planning for what to do with the Explorer when it arrives! (Might also have to set something aside for a set of winter/rough road wheels.)

By the way, any suggestions on mats for inside? I've heard good things about Weathertech...

Also, do folks recommend those windshield inserts for summer to keep the sun from roasting the interior? I forget what they're called, but they go on top of the dash to reflect the sun out - any recommendations there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Floor Mats

I reviewed WeatherTech and Husky and I went with the Husky for a number of reasons. I got so sick and tired of the WeatherTech commercials touting " the only ones made in the USA blah blah, when in fact the Husky's are too. The Husky's also cover the rug over the edge right up to the door opening's and that is really welcome to save my rugs from all the sand and salt and slush etc we get her in Mass. The price was comparable too and I have gotten lots of compliments on them. I got the set, front and rear, opted out of the 3rd row and cargo area.
Congrats on your new purchase. I have the dual moon roof as well and no complaints.

First of all, let me say THANK YOU to all of you for the great advice and suggestions! So glad I found this forum - such a helpful community!

I did indeed go and test drive a sport, and found the driving experience to be very solid. The truck felt aggressive and responsive when pushed, albeit with a fair bit of torque steer if accelerating around a corner. But it wasn't harsh at all, and I didn't come away feeling it would be unpleasant on gravel roads.

I appreciate the comments about 20" wheels and tires, and after some thought about where I REALLY drive most often, I figure the larger wheels shouldn't be a problem, since the mix is currently 95% pavement, 5% gravel. Once we have the Explorer though, I expect that'll change to 80/20 as we'll be heading into the mountains more often! Since it's unlikely to be anything rougher than gravel/mud or packed sand, I gather from comments that the 20's should be fine.

So, after reading lots of comments here, test driving some more, and thinking about where we currently drive, I've decided to take the plunge! Ordered a 2014 Sport in Ingot Silver last weekend, with towing and moonroof (hope it won't leak!). Now the agonizing wait for build and delivery! Guess it's time to start posting in the Order Status forum...

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions, and I think now it's time to start planning for what to do with the Explorer when it arrives! (Might also have to set something aside for a set of winter/rough road wheels.)

By the way, any suggestions on mats for inside? I've heard good things about Weathertech...

Also, do folks recommend those windshield inserts for summer to keep the sun from roasting the interior? I forget what they're called, but they go on top of the dash to reflect the sun out - any recommendations there?

As a new Sport owner and someone else who enjoys spirited driving.... I think you made a good choice. My only thought is if I was planning on some major offroading, I'd probably get a fairly inexpensive set of brand new OEM dealer takeoffs on EBay. My neighbor just got a set of unused limited chrome wheels with tires for $1200 delivered... You could beat those up in the mounatins and still get to keep the Sport wheels perfect.

I'll also chime in.... I'm on my second EX with dual moon roofs and no issues whatsoever... Getting 1 mpg better on the Sport than we did in the Limited and driving it like a sport should be driven... :)

Cheers,

Ajar

I doubt that you'd even notice the difference. The overall change in total diameter is 0.5 inches. I also notice a little better ride when I put the 17" Winters on compared to the OEM 20s

Peter

For my winter driving I installed my old stock 2010 MKT 20" Rims with Bridgestone Blizzaks which are 255/45/R20 and the traction in snow and ice has been great and I still have a few more years left on the tires.

I was going to attach pics of rims and tires, but don't know how on this site.

geezerglide

The easiest way to post pictures on this site directly from your computer is to take out a $20 membership which helps to support the site. Otherwise, you answer can be found in the New Members Introduction thread in the 'sticky' section;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Peter

Ha! My wife has an 09 Odyssey and I have a 13 Explorer limited, so I'm very familiar with your family's vehicle profile. I think you'll really love the Explorer. The AWD and turbo will be good for you in the high elevation offroad situation. I have the dual moonroof and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. Although I live in Alabama and have no use for them myself, I believe I would get a second set of wheels and winter tires if I were off-roading up in Oregon...

Back