2004 xlt Rebuilt Trans Down but cause is unclear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 xlt Rebuilt Trans Down but cause is unclear

scotch4ever

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
4x2
4.0 Engine
5R55S Transmission

Last June I had my transmission rebuilt at approx 147,000 and now with approx 159, 000 I am down again. The system which brought me back to the shop was the o/d light flashing in addition to the check engine light. When the pan was removed it had metal shavings in the fluid. After examining the transmission the mechanic who rebuilt the transmission is claiming I must have been spinning my tires and damaged it. Here is the rub, I had no known instance of tire spinning with my vehicle and if anything have been treating it with kid gloves in regards to driving. I even rent cars for any trips 2 hours or more out of town.

To add to my frustration I learned that my transmission case is damaged and needs to be replaced, too. I feel like I am throwing a stack of Benjamin's into a fan with this vehicle.

My question: Is there anything which could cause the same damage of "spinning tires" in a transmission that has nothing to do with "spinning tires"? Meaning another component causing the transmission to run faster or slower than it is supposed to? I want the problem to be fixed and not be dealing with the symptoms.

Other items which may or may not be of importance:
1) when I bought the vehicle is had over sized tires which i replaced with stock sized tires.
2) vehicle died in shop and we had to have ford remake a key as the original key and chip failed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they perform all the required TSB's when they rebuilt it? Research the TSB's and be prepared when you speak with them. Servo bores are what come to mind but I think there's at least one more.
If they didn't perform any of these required tear down fixes, then you are in trouble because you're dealing with an incompetent transmission shop.

Spinning your tires! lol. I love it, customer service nowadays. Always deflect an issue upfront to make the customer aware it's their problem and not yours. What a POS that mechanic is! He knows it's on him and apparently doesn't want word of mouth business.
I'm sure you'll go around telling everyone what great work they did.

SAMS club pissed me off back in '96. To this day I steer business away from them. Think I've told more than 15 people!

I will look up the TSB's. Thank you.

TSB's

Here are the notable ones. They may not all apply. Certainly the servo bores should have been done. If they weren't, then your rebuilt trans was always on borrowed time.

Attachments

• Servo Bore Wear.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 772
  • Delayed or Harsh Engagment.pdf
    306.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Converter Housing Leaks.pdf
    108.1 KB · Views: 392

Here are the notable ones. They may not all apply. Certainly the servo bores should have been done. If they weren't, then your rebuilt trans was always on borrowed time.

Thank you for the extra TBS documents. I found the Servo Bore but not the others.

Cheers,

Back