Think my transfer case died

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
Background and specs: M5OD-R1 & BW1354M swap, 4.0 ohv. Ran the store and had a weird ticking that was generated by speed not engine rpms. Coming from shifter boot area.

Pulled in the drive way, had to use 4x4 due to the 6" of snow we got last night to get up the hill.Large bang, and my front wheels turn and the rear dont. Something binds in reverse. Great stuck in the driveway.

Ran the transfer case back and forth While winching it up the drive. Something gave and the rear wheels move again. Drove it the last 10 feet to its parking spot with it clunking and whirling. Still shift fine but reverse binds like crazy. If it stops snowing. I would like to get it running again.

Toss me ideas before I spend the little money I have.

I did unlock the front and check the u-joints, they look ok. The rear ones look god also. All linkage is fine etc. Clutch feels fine. All forward gears seem fine.. so I am thinking internal fork failure on the transfer case, but it's weird the front works and the back was locked up. Stumped, hope its not the transmission. Hope I can find a junkyard with replacement parts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: braved the snow, dropped my rear drive shaft. Tossed it in natural and it clunks in the transfer and binds in reverse

Yep its 11 out and snowing. I think it's the tranny. Younger me did not care old me would have to replace. Broke stuff and frozen. 2 bolts left

If the front driveshaft turns under power and the rear doesn't, its the Tcase. It's not a trans or fork failure... There's no way a fork failure could cause the front driveshaft to be engaged and the rear to not be engaged. My money is on the Tcase rear output shaft.

Ended up being the transmission. Got one for 200 used. When I turn the output shaft on it, it Locks in reverse. Something broke inside I can heard it moving. Weird

Oh my god I suck. Dropping the transmission. 2 ratchets later 6" of snow, I got 2 bolts left. I am taking my baseball home now. Swear to god my core temp is 3

Edit darn it for my will alone I deserve totm... or I need to mod more

Hope it went well for you

suck it up PRINCESS, do one of those in -30 some day,,
you'll know real cold than,,:D:D:D:D:D

Back