2nd gen explorer flares on my first gen. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen explorer flares on my first gen.

01momogti

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Got lucky and got a set of eddie bauer flares off of a 1996 4 door for $40 at the local junkyard. Now regarding the install, is there a how to thread or a write up I can follow or just wing it lol?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the ones on the body need holes drilled for a flush fit, you will need to do that.

Otherwise some good 3M double-sided tape is all I am aware of that you need.

Some of the flares had hardware holding them on I think.

I haven't done this yet, but I want to.

Now with the new flares on I have a huge gap from the edge of the tire to the end of the flare what is an appropriate size wheel and tire to fill that gap with 5.5" lift?

Honestly nothing until you ditch the 3.27 gears.

Maximum tire size for the gears.
3.73 = 31's
4.10 = 33's
4.56 = 35's

Some folks would probably ignore you and tell you to search for the answer, but there's no point in being rude over a simple question.

If by chance you do have time, searching is probably quicker than waiting for an answer.

Yeah she is defenetly slow with that gear ratio, I would search for my answer but the search function doesn't work on my mobile device.... I found a set of axles at a junkyard 3.73 with the limited slip rear end I was wanting. The 4.10 I found were nice but idk if the front will swap dues to ttb vs ifs

Rear will swap, but the front won't....it'll be much easier to just swap out the entire axle too (if that wasn't already your plan).

If you search hard enough through junkyards and door codes, grab the diff from a Ranger TTB (some came with 4.10 gear sets)...you'll get the gears and a "new" housing that will bolt right up. The pumpkins from the Ranger and 1st gen Explorer are the same (providing they are both DANA 35's). Tried looking myself for my project, but the only yard I found that had one wanted WAY too much for it...

Anyways finished installing the flares today everything went relatively smoothly, I'm happy with the look, I am considering going back and getting the matching running board as well. I have plans to paint them all black in the near future as well. Here is a before and after for you guys, let me know what you think!

Before:

20150225_155353.jpg

After:

20150302_165634.jpg

Those eb flares look good against the green. It looks like it could have came from the factory like that.

I must say, I am really digging that green and tan look. Those two colors have always looked classy and timeless to me. Great job on installing them!

I think if you removed the lower molding it would look even better. Just my opinion.

Yea, clean it up. I did that on mine and it makes a world of difference. That cheap plastic fake chrome strip looking thing.. ugly. They make rubber wheels that body shops use that you can stick on a drill and it zips off double-sided tape, stickers and other things without even touching the paint. Look up eraser wheel.

The flares are notched to lay over the side molding. If you removed the molding then the flares would still have those notches would look weird.. I put front flares off a 2nd gen on mine. I wanted the rears but the junk yard sat the body on rims and crushed the rear parts

I plan on taking off the limited side step and either running without one or going back to the junkyard and pulling the matching eddie bauer one. The flare are not notched to go over the moulding I had to use a Dremel aND cut out part of the rubber on the front fenders and rear doors. I would like to ultimately pull off the strip going down both doers but will probably wait until summer so I can give her a good buff and wax also.

I was browsing pictures of explorers and came across this one and was wondering if this side skirt will fit with my eddie bauer flares

Here is a picture with the side skirts I want, can anyone tell me if they will fit with the eddie bauer flares I have And if they do what year did they come from?

2015-03-04%2010.36.22.png

And this is a picture of what the skirts look like on the one I pulled the flares from Just for refrence.

2015-03-04%2010.36.47.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back